Forums

The Diary of Ana Meken

Quick find code: 49-50-232-65187737

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Posts: 138 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Pre-Adventure Diary Entry

==Moevyng 4th, 169==

So, I still have this old thing. I thought I would have lost it over the years. Not much is left of it, I tore out all of the earlier pages and threw them out long ago. I couldn't bare to look at my past, not after what happened. I kind of wish I didn't now, though. Maybe I'll find them sometime.

Nightmares of my past have been haunting me ever since. What happened to my dad, Olivia, Aleck and Zakera...I feel at fault for it, and that hasn't changed. It might have been the Devourer doing the acts, but it was because of me that she was led to them. If I weren't there...If I had just ran away...Things would have been different. I don't care if they weren't my real family, they raised me and brought me up. They taught me what I know, what I believe in. They're gone...because of me.

Only my mother remained...distraught from the horror of losing nearly everyone she cared about. At her side I promised to never leave her, like the others did, and for years I've kept that promise.

But today...Today is different.

I've worried what would happen if I remained too long. That the Devourer would come and take away the one thing I have left worth protecting, in search of me, but mother wouldn't understand. She feels her pets will protect us from the Devourer, but no amount of cats can stop the wrath of her. One died today...Already my presence has taken another life just by being here.

But without that strange event occurring today, even still I may not have had the courage to set out. When I was giving the cat a proper burial today, a strange skull wearing a blue hat and carrying a postbag fell out of the sky in front of me. Somehow, it managed to talk to me, and gave me a letter.

22-Oct-2013 03:15:18 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2013 06:54:32 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

It's from someone named “Ezekial” claiming to be my father. Normally, I would be afraid upon receiving letters of people claiming to be my dad, when he's dead...but, I feel like there's something more to it. When I brought it up to mother, she seemed reluctant on telling me what it might be about. I've known for a long time that I may have been adopted...I've always been curious about who my real parents could have been, and why things happened the way they did...

It's too much to pass up the chance. I've needed to leave, for the safety of my mother, and to sate my thirst for answers and adventure.

Ezekial wants to meet me in Burthorpe by next week, he says he has a lot to talk to me about. I wonder why Burthorpe? It doesn't seem like the most interesting of places for a family reunion.

He sent along some money in the letter to help for expenses on the trip. Now that the war is over, maybe I'll finally be able to ride one of those magic carpets for once!

The strange thing is...These coins are extremely old according to the dates on them, yet, they seem almost new.

22-Oct-2013 03:15:23 - Last edited on 28-Oct-2013 20:30:52 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

==Year 158, 5th Age==

===12th of Rintra===

Dear diary,

Cool, I have a diary! Mr. Runecraft gave me one and told me to write anything interesting that happens in it so that I can read it again later to remember what it was like when it happened. Nothing interesting ever happens to me though so I don't know how much Ill use it. For now, it will just gather dust on my bookshelf.

22-Oct-2013 03:15:28 - Last edited on 17-Nov-2013 07:20:49 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

===25th of Rintra===

Huh...I don't remember putting this here...Oh well, I guess Ill try to put this to good use then. Runecraft has been checking up on us to make sure we were writing in our journals, and I don't want to let him down! I have nothing to write about though... There's nothing interesting, like he talks about in history... There's no heroes, no villains, no dragons or villages to save. Its all just boring and normal. Boring School, Boring Family, Boring House, Boring City, Boring Life... All the interesting things happened in the past, there's no stories left to be told, and nothing left to write in this journal.

22-Oct-2013 03:17:01 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2013 06:53:42 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

===39th of Rintra===

Odd...I keep finding this journal in the strangest of places. Its like it wants me to keep writing in it. But there's nothing to write about!

Well, I guess I could mention a little...

Mom grounded me for a week because my grades are slipping in school. Maybe its because I keep falling asleep during classes...except for history. That's the only thing keeping me from dropping out in the first place. The way Mr. Runecraft teaches history makes it so interesting to learn about! Its as if he was there to see it for himself, the detail and descriptions he uses... All the tales of heroism and gods make it sound like the past was a very exciting time to live in. Every day could be your last, fighting for every second of it!

Nowadays the worst that happens here is a pickpocket takes your lunch money. At least if I have any that day... Since dad is a silver merchant running a stall in the town square, and mom is a house maid, its not necessarily a fancy situation...but were still getting through okay I suppose. I guess I should be glad I'm not rich, though, or else I might have been like those snobby Carnilleans who boss everyone around if they don't kiss the ground they walk on. My parents always seem to think were well-off though, saying that “Not everyone gets to have a school-taught education, Ana! You should be grateful!”. Sometimes it feels like I was the one who got the short straw, and I might be better off without a school to go to...Hmm, but then again, I wouldn't have ever learned so much about history... I suppose its not so bad.

Oh hey I just noticed, I actually wrote something worth reading! I guess it just takes a little inspiration!

22-Oct-2013 03:17:06 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2013 06:53:25 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

===2nd of Moevyng===

Maybe I could write a bit about school.

We started a new unit in history today, its about the “Karid desert”. Apparently the people there worship different kinds of gods, that werent banished by Guthicks at the end of the god wars. Tumken and Eldinis are the mom and dad of the other gods there. Itchlarin and Amscut are their kids. Het, Apemekn, Crodis, and Scarabas, are there kids too, but adopted, or something like that. I wonder if a god family has to go through the same things I do...I didn't even know gods could have kids*

**. Runecraft says if you look around the desert long enough you might see them sometimes, but usually they tend to take different forms to not scare people.

With the war going on there though, not much of them show their face often... Menafos and Al Kharid have been fighting each other for awhile...but if the gods are still there in the desert, why don't they just stop it?

The desert sounds like a fun place to live... A war going on, gods having family issues, and summer all year long! I wish I lived there instead of boring old Ardougne...

22-Oct-2013 03:17:10 - Last edited on 31-Oct-2013 10:37:39 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

===4th of Moevyng===

Here it is, right when I needed it! Today in history class we got to read the journals of old famous people, to learn what the time period was like in there shoes. I have to wonder how he got them in the first place, some of them are very old. You would think they would have aged away by now?

Mr. Runecraft showed us the value of archiving everything that happens in a journal you can check back to. If its not useful to you, it may be useful to people in the future when there doing research on the time period you lived in, if they find it. Haha, as if anyone would want to research this boring time period...

We presented what we wrote in our journals so far today to. Well, anyone who was willing to read from it. I decided there wasn't much I didn't mind others hearing, so I read mine aloud in front of class. However...I did skip over the line about the Carnilleans. They would tell there parents on me if they heard that, and then they'd tell my parents, and Id get in trouble. Maybe my dad would too.

Everyone seemed to like what I wrote, and I was the only one brave enough to stand in front of the class to read it. Either that, or I was the only one who wrote anything in it...I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case

Mr. Runecraft seemed proud of me, maybe my parents will be too, and Ill get ungrounded earlier!

22-Oct-2013 03:19:10 - Last edited on 04-Nov-2013 01:05:38 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

===5th of Moevyng===

Well, I didn't get ungrounded. My parents don't seem to care as much about history as I do, saying its a useless subject, and that there are other things more important to be learning. “Something that can put food on the table”... Well I don't think anything taught at that school is going to do that, yet they still make me go to it? I feel like its just for show, something so they can go off and tell their rich family relatives that they have children enrolled in school and that there just as good as them. Like I'm some trophy daughter...I feel disconnected with them.

Its bad enough that Aleck and Olivia, well...Mostly Olivia, always pick on me for not having the same last name as the rest of the family. Saying its because they didn't want to be “officially related to me”. I know that's not true – they aren't that mean, but it still makes me wonder why they named me that. Ana Penelope Meken. Why not there last name? Why not DeMarne? Ana DeMarne? It doesn't sound that bad does it...? Every time I ask them that they either ignore the question or say something to try and not make it seem like a bad thing, like “the gods gave you that name, sweety, its no better or worse than any other name”. I wish they'd just tell me the truth, and stop being so secretive!

22-Oct-2013 03:19:15 - Last edited on 04-Nov-2013 09:29:22 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

===8th of Moevyng===

Today was scary...

I've always wondered what that book Mr. Runecraft always carries says inside. The light blue book with a dark shade of purple on half of it, with a scary face on it too...and it has a bunch of papers sticking out of it. Its not like any book I've seen before, but why doesn't he ever read from it? He always uses those other books, but not that one...

Today I finally had a chance to go look at it more closely. When we went out for recess, I snuck back inside and saw the book lying on his desk, while he was outside playing with the others.

When I walked next to it...I felt weird, I don't...I don't know how to describe it...that book wasn't normal. I got really scared, but I walked closer and closer, and lifted my hand up to open it, but right when I did..***. Runecraft appeared out of nowhere and closed it and picked it up! Was he always standing there?

He looked at me, but he wasn't mad, he just smiled and said “That's a story for another time, Ana”. I ran. I ran as fast as I could back home, and hid under the covers...

...That was awesome!

So that's what it feels like to be scared? For something to happen out of the ordinary? That was the first real thing that's happened to me that I wasn't able to understand. The sense of mystery, of potential danger...of adventure!

I want to find out whats in that book!

22-Oct-2013 03:19:21 - Last edited on 05-Nov-2013 05:07:21 by Ana Meken

Ana Meken

Ana Meken

===9th of Moevyng===

I told Aleck and Olivia about Mr. Runecrafts special book, but they just laughed at me... Aleck says a teacher wouldn't be using a magical artifact when teaching class at school, it'd be against the rules...Olivia just thinks it plain silly. She thinks its worse than dads occasional rants about the penguins plotting against us, or the cats knowing more than they let on...But at least my theory makes some sense!

I told them if they helped me get it I could prove it to them that its not normal. Aleck didn't want to get involved, but Olivia agreed to help, if I give her something in return...

If I was right and there was something magical about his book, I would have to give Olivia my lunch money for a week. If I was wrong and it was just a normal book, I would have to give her my lunch money for a month. It wasn't a fair bet, but I just knew something was strange about that book...so I agreed.

Olivia said to give her some time to think up a plan, and that by tomorrow night, we would know for sure whether or not there's something special about that book.

22-Oct-2013 03:19:25 - Last edited on 06-Nov-2013 09:25:38 by Ana Meken

Quick find code: 49-50-232-65187737 Back to Top