Forums

~*~ TDT2: The Blood Debt ~*~

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

Posts: 7,994 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
“Arwing is right, we have to try,” Rivera said decisively. “I need a good idea of how much we have, to see if we can get people through the winter if the crops don’t work out. I want to get the people to give in all of their food, so we can divide it back up, but that won’t work. People will just hoard what they have and lie.”
“Nobody really has anything anyway, I think,” Nathan offered. “Get in touch with all the farmers, bakeries, inns, and so on in the city, anyone who has food for commercial reasons. We can requisition that if we have to. We ration that out to the people, and try to leave them enough to operate.”
“Find out which businesses have failed – most of the inns are probably closing from lack of business,” Arwing suggested. “You can relocate them to help out on the farms in Lumbridge, where they can be useful. I’m sure everyone’s low on laborers because of the plague.”
“What we need is to get in touch with the other cities. I think conditions may not be as bad in Ardounge, or Falador even. I don’t think the Plague has decimated them as badly. They must have food there.”
“They won’t recognize you as the ruler. That’s our business – overthrowing them as well.”
“Who’s in charge of Ardounge right now? All they know is that Regis went missing,” Arwing realized suddenly. “You should send people there as fast as possible to take control. It’s got to be in the best condition, so we can’t let Issavan’s people take over it!”
“And how do you plan to take over everything else? Just launch attacks, like this one?” Nathan leaned forward, arms crossed. “Rivera told me your plan to take out all his relatives. That’s a lofty goal.”
“We have no choice. The only way this can truly get fixed is by ending the Plague. But – oh, Maston! The records! They might have burned in the castle.”

26-Jul-2009 20:56:50

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

He slammed his fist into his thigh, cursing loudly. That was all his fault. Damn his stupidity. He’d burned their only hope to find out who they needed to go after. But Rivera had a sly smirk on her face, and when he glared at her, she replied smugly, “I have a copy of his family tree, back at the hideout. If you ride back through there, you can get it.”
“We can get it on our way to Falador. That should be our next stop.”
“But shouldn’t we go the north way, to track Issavan?”
The table went eerily silent. Kzahar became very interested in the floorboards, just as much as Maston finally paid attention to the food he was shoveling into his mouth. Nathan looked uncomfortable, and neither Krystal nor Rivera knew what to say. Finally Kzahar said softly, “He has to be priority. We can’t let him get away from us.”
“We can’t let his relatives find out we survived, either. If they catch wind that we’re after them, they’ll all go into hiding. Finding out Rivera is in control will send them running for cover,” Maston added.
“He’s the most important!” Kzahar exclaimed.
Maston met his eyes. “I wasn’t disagreeing with you, Kzahar,” he insisted. “I think…maybe we have to split up. Some of us go north to track, some of us go south to get the information, plot our path. We meet up somewhere, in a certain amount of time, unless one of us has a great lead and has to follow it. Rivera, can you spare a few soldiers to go with us, to act as runners and back up?*
*Of course.”
When everyone had agreed to this shaky plan, Rivera rose from the table. “I need to address the people, so we can get started on fixing the city. And I’ll send runners to Ardounge and get control of it as soon as possible. When do you plan to leave?”

26-Jul-2009 20:57:09

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“I think we need a few days,” Arwing cut Maston off smoothly, as he opened his mouth to say, *Tonight.” He glared at her, but she put a hand on his injured shoulder. “We’re pretty beat up, and I think we all need some time to recuperate. I mean, Lil’s not even awake yet. And the Bond situation…” Krystal flinched. “We have to see if we can do anything for him…and Krystal, he needs you to fill him in.”
“I’ll do that now,* she sighed.
“Rivera,” Maston said, as she began to leave. “I’m sorry I questioned you, about leading the people.” He looked down. “You’re doing well. It’s a good thing – keeping them updated, and all that.”
“Thank you,” she said, and then to Krystal, “Good luck.” With that, she fled the room, with Nathan on her heels.
*~*~*~*
The sun had set, and the warriors sat in the common room of the inn, drinking and eating in uneasy silence. Lil had finally awoken and came down to join them, and sat across from Maston and Arwing, who were curled on the couch. Rivera was at the impromptu office she had set up, meeting with the business leaders in the city. Krystal sat on another chair, staring mournfully into the fire with uneaten food on her lap. Kzahar came down the stairs and meaningfully caught Maston’s eye before slipping out the front door.
Maston excused himself and once outside, found Kzahar waiting for him, leaning against the wall of the small building. A saddled horse was tied to the post, loaded with gear. Maston’s twin swords gleamed on top of the bundles. Maston took all of this in with an understanding eye.
“You’re leaving,” he said.
Kzahar stepped forward. “I owe you an apology, Maston. I let Issavan get away. I shouldn’t have done it. I was blinded by my own rage, and I messed it all up. I’m sorry for that. But I’m planning to make it up to you.”
“By leaving?”

26-Jul-2009 20:57:27

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“I won’t let him escape,” Kzahar said angrily. “I’ll track him as far as it takes. Look, don’t say anything, just let me get this out. I messed up, and I take responsibility for that. I’ll fix it. Four, five days from now, that trail will be cold, and we will have lost him. I’m not letting that happen. If I go now, I can catch him. He’s a fat monarch in the woods. He’s not getting far.” He took a deep breath. “Look, somewhere, we got it all wrong, man. You tried to lead us, and I fought you on that. I’m sorry. What happened in that castle was as far as it goes. We keep doing this, we’ll never get anything done. So I’m removing the problem, all right?
“I don’t have the stomach for what comes next. I killed that Duke in Lumbridge, and I hated it. I can’t hunt down all his blood and execute them. You’ve come to terms with it. I haven’t; I knew it when I killed that man. Now I’m not saying that’s a good thing, or a bad thing. It just is. But I can’t do it. I can kill Issavan, though. So I’m going, and I’ll find him, and by the Gods, I’ll bring his head to you and show you he’s gone, and we can all sleep at night. You…You lead the others, and do what has to be done.”
Maston was silent for a long time, taking all of this in. While he digested the information, Kzahar mounted up on the horse. Finally he looked up at the other man. “Are you absolutely sure? Kzahar, I did*’t mean to drive you away—“
“You did*’t. This is my choice.”
“We should at least talk about –“
“No. I go in there and tell everybody, they’ll try to talk me out of it. I’ve made up my mind.”
“You shouldn’t go alone.”
“I have to do this on my own. I have to pay for my mistakes,” he said firmly. “Maston, I’m sure. Tell them for me, all right? And look out for them. I’m leaving you with all the ladies – and while it’s no secret they can take care of themselves, you have to lead them, you know? You gotta get the job done. There’s a lot of work to be done.”
“We’ll do it. I’ll take care of them.”
“Good.”

26-Jul-2009 20:57:42

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“I’m sorry it’s come to this, Kzahar.”
“Me too. But this is the way it is. I’ll find you all again, I promise. But I won’t be back until that man is dead. And I’m not trying to rob you of killing him – you know that, right? It** just something I have to do. You have to do the rest. You’re the only one who can. And me, I have to kill Issavan.”
“I understand.” There was a lump in his throat. He reached up, and they clasped hands briefly. “Kzahar –“
“I’m sure, Maston.”
“I was going to say good luck.”
Kzahar smiled briefly, a tight-lipped smile with little humor. “And the same to you, my friend.” He inclined his head, then wheeled his horse and disappeared into the night.
~*~*~*~ End of Chapter ~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~ End of TDT2: The Blood Debt ~*~*~*~

26-Jul-2009 20:58:03

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

I lied. I won't have the new book up for a few weeks, due to a computer crash. I'll try to start working on it/planning but nothing will be posted for a while (I'm borrowing my mom's computer right now). So until I get this sorted out, recover my hard drive and get a new computer...there won't be anything. Sorry.

01-Aug-2009 01:24:28

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230 Back to Top