Forums

RS Story Contest #4 - Survivor

Quick find code: 49-50-216-62851328

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Posts: 3,785 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-The Final Challenge-

The three finalists are required to write a maximum THREE POST (6000 character) entry in a split story challenge. This means that, while you have three posts for all material, you have to divide the limit up between three different themes. These should be separate stories, and NOT weave together as one. These themes are:

- Music
- A battle
- A natural disaster

As an example, you could equally divide the entry so that you have a single post for each theme. However, you can play around with this depending on how you want to do it. Your entries will be judged as a single story, and not three separate excerpts, on creativity, innovation in each theme and quality of entry as a whole.

You will also be required to write a maximum ONE POST (2000 character) passage detailing why the Authors should vote you as the winner of the contest. This can contain strategies, aspects of writing and any other details that may help swing votes.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 10th of August, 08:00, GMT.

This challenge will contribute to your final scoring and placing and will be used to split any ties. It will also form the basis of the votes from the Authors. As before, entries can be RuneScape-related or entirely based on the real world with no penalty.

Good luck!

Entries:
- Xanthian93, Page 50, Posts 3 and 4
- Nyyrikki V, Page 52, Posts 1, 3 and 4

The winner of this round is Xanthian93. Full details on Page 52.

04-Jun-2011 14:04:30 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2011 08:45:56 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

-Game Twist Three-

Due to inactivity of a member of the Authors, there is now a position open; this group of seven votes for the winner of the contest in this final round. Anyone except eliminated or surviving contestants can enter this twist round. The challenge is as follows:

Write a maximum 250 word or less story on...anything you want! This does not need to relate to RuneScape, and can also be a poem if you wish.

Entries will be judged on creativity, innovation, and quality of entry. The winner of this round will become the last member of the Authors.

DEADLINE: Saturday the 6th of August, 12:00, GMT.

Good luck!

Entries:
- Aeraie, Page 50, Post 5

The winner of this round is Aeraie. Full details on Page 51.

04-Jun-2011 14:04:31 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2011 00:07:20 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Xanthian93:

I feel like I should win this contest because I am bringing varying types of entries to the tables to the best of my abilities. Sometimes I tap into things I have never written before, and it is challenge. But it makes me a better writer and I use that to get better.

There's nothing special in terms of technique; all I do is bring what I can to the table. That is why I feel like I should win this contest.

04-Jun-2011 14:05:57 - Last edited on 03-Aug-2011 14:17:20 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Sir Lamentar:

Hell, I'm not sure I deserve to win - many other people have consistently put in better stories than I have and, as such, it has been a difficult contest. However, I believe I've played the game side of things in a very straight laced way - there's been no back stabbing or anything. I'm honest, right?

Also, I've achieved a pretty good feat while I've been in this contest - not once have I not been immune. My stories (bar the non-existent one) have been to a high enough standard to not give anyone the pleasure to vote me out. This shows that out of everyone, I'm most likely to have been the most consistent.

However, if you do vote me out, enjoy the feeling. I would've voted myself out on day one, to be honest :P

And lastly - best of luck to everyone and thanks for making it one of the most memorable contests of all time. We've done well, guys and gals. We've done well.

04-Jun-2011 14:05:59 - Last edited on 04-Aug-2011 13:00:43 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Nyyrikki V:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I beg you to find me not guilty. I'm sure we all know I ended a story with a pun, but is that really so worthy of the death penalty?

*whispers are heard*

Oh, haha. Sorry about that. I got some speeches mixed up. here we go:

Dear esteemed judges,

It falls to me this day that I must speak to you about writing. While this may be a hard-fought contest, with some mild backstabbing and a few people intimidated into silence, it may be tempting to judge this round based on what you think of the contestants and their puns. However, this remains what it is: a writing contest. On that basis, I urge you good folks to vote for who you believe to be the best writer: a man who is both a gentleman, a scholar, and a musician, or me.

Thank you. I'll stop wasting your time now.

04-Jun-2011 14:06:00 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2011 08:15:45 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Music Theme:
1st – Xanthian93
2nd – Nyyrikki V
3rd – Sir Lamentar (DNP)

Battle Theme:
1st – Nyyrikki V
2nd – Xanthian93 (DNP)
3rd – Sir Lamentar (DNP)

Natural Disaster Theme:
1st – Xanthian93
2nd – Nyyrikki V
3rd – Sir Lamentar (DNP)

Overall in Final Round:
1st – Xanthian93
2nd – Nyyrikki V
3rd – Sir Lamentar (DNP)

Overall in Contest (please note that this is not the final standings):
1st – Sir Lamentar (Score of 1035)
2nd – Nyyrikki V (Score of 1586)
3rd – Xanthian93 (Score of 1788)

04-Jun-2011 14:10:01 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2011 08:39:50 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

-Final Voting Round-

The seven Authors are now required to vote for the winner of the contest. I am only accepting private messages for this round, but have added everyone to my friends list so this should not be a problem. If there is an issue, please post on the thread detailing it and I will see what I can do.

I hope to have collected all votes by Sunday, so if everyone can make an effort, it’d be appreciated. The person with the most votes will win the contest.

You can vote for:
- Sir Lamentar
- Nyyrikki V
- Xanthian93

I ask that you put all relationships outside the contest aside to vote, and only take note of contest-related situations and stories. This will ensure a fair voting, based purely on how well the contestant has played the game.

With your vote, please include at least one reason as to why you are nominating them to win, which will be taken note of and revealed with the final elimination.

Thank you, and good luck to all finalists.

Please read through the contestant reasoning submissions (above) and my summary of the finalists (below) before voting.

Full details on Page 54.

04-Jun-2011 14:10:02 - Last edited on 14-Aug-2011 10:12:48 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

-Special Awards-

Best Overall Score: Sir Lamentar

Most Consistent: Sir Lamentar

Most Enthusiastic: L-U-T-O

Best Story: Wintry Elf

Most Creative: Sir Lamentar and Nyyrikki V

Most Honest: Wintry Elf and Xanthian93

Most Deceptive: Nyyrikki V

Best Strategy: Nyyrikki V

Most Betrayed: Wintry Elf

Best Impact: Wintry Elf and Ogdred

Least Voted For: Archive and Sir Lamentar

04-Jun-2011 14:10:03 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2011 13:23:54 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

-Leb’s Summary of Finalists-

Sir Lamentar: The most consistent contestant, Lamen has won all six possible immunities in the contest. Consequently, he has never been voted for to be eliminated. Utilising an extremely acute impact, his entries have been of a very high standard, earning him top placings in most every round. He has, while voting strategically at times, not allied with anyone to cause any major upsets, save one occasion.

Round Placings: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 4th (DNE), 3rd (DNE)

Nyyrikki V: Starting off strongly, Pat has maintained mid-range placings throughout the contest. His stories use common techniques and devices very effectively, though he seems to be troubled by more obscure challenges, and less flexible than the other two finalists. His entries are consistent, and stick to a more basic structure and plot rather than twists and the like. He has been the most strategic contestant in voting, using an alliance to his advantage to eliminate a strong contestant.

Round Placings: 1st, 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th (DNE), 2nd, 2nd

Xanthian93: Mitch, while less consistent than the other two finalists, has finished strongly with some very high-standard entries. His placings are quite erratic, though reflect some constraints that have occurred after some events have conflicted with the contest. As far as strategy goes, he has been one of the most honest contestants, voting for who he genuinely thinks has the worst story or attitude towards that round.

Round Placings: 12th (DNE), 5th, 6th, 6th (DNE), 3rd, 1st, 1st

04-Jun-2011 14:10:05 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2011 09:11:51 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Final Round Voting:

Aeraie: Sir Lamentar. His style of writing is very good.

Wintry Elf: Nyyrikki V. His consistently good entries and effort put into them.

Archive: Nyyrikki V. His entries have been my favourites, and the other contestants got a little disappointing towards the end.

Paccy IV: Nyyrikki V. His entries have been impressive in the time that he figured out what he wanted to do.

The Level: Nyyrikki V. He has won this contest story-wise. I loved his time-travel one. Lamentar does not deserve my vote, as he has not posted this round.

WolfLord7777: Sir Lamentar. I think he is the best writer of the three. He has been the most consistent, but he has still been friendly and open. I think he is the most worthy to win, despite his protests, and so I have voted for him.

Standings:
Sir Lamentar: 2
Nyyrikki V: 4
Xanthian93: 0

04-Jun-2011 14:10:07 - Last edited on 14-Aug-2011 10:11:12 by Borna Coric

Quick find code: 49-50-216-62851328 Back to Top