Tombs of Amascut: Raid Rewards

Quick find code: 380-381-746-66225039

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Posts: 7,053 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sounds fun!

Some comments on the raids:

- Rename 'Masori' to 'Mekhmet'. (See https://runescape.wiki/w/Mehkmets.) Presumably, Masori is a clever reference to something relevant IRL, but in this case I think it's better to pick up on an ancient and obscure piece of lore and elaborate upon it rather than create something new. :)

- Similarly, perhaps Catolax (https://runescape.wiki/w/Catolax) can play the rôle of Ahmek? Not sure whether this would fit the narrative you have envisaged but it's something to consider.

- Nice to see the reference to Prince Osmumten! Since loads of desert lore is conspicuously absent from OS (notably Missing My Mummy, and revelations about Amascut's plans with the lesser deities from Dealing with Scabaras and Do No Evil), it's brilliant to see some continuity.

- Following the success of the Kourend Chronicles, could you "release" the lore Tumeken's Dream officially (since it's from 2008, it is not technically official in OS lore)? (https://runescape.wiki/w/Transcript:Tumeken%27s_Dream) It's already referenced in Contact! and by the sphinx anyway.

- 62 Agility is an interesting requirement for the new quest... are we going to jump over the chasm from Contact!? We are aren't we? :D Shame about the spoiled rewards, but could Smithing and Firemaking also get an xp reward, even if only minor? The requirements are fairly high. Good to see the return of Maisa as well; OS has done an excellent job on the Myreque storyline in terms of staying faithful to the RS3 continuations but also feeling distinctly oldschool. I am confident the new desert quest will get the same treatment (though, please: ignore the RS3 Menaphos quests since they suck...). Maybe Simon Templeton could play a part? There's a tomb to raid after all, and he's often mentioned in Contact! as a cursed fiend stuck in the desert because of his (grave)robbing. And I wonder what Coenus is up to, since Menaphos is mentioned directly...
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

Perhaps you're half right; perhaps we can't win. But we can fight.
— Zanik

10-Aug-2021 18:57:16 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2021 18:58:57 by Lord Drakan

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

- The puzzle-like aspect of the raids sounds good. Desert dungeons are known for their devilish traps, pitfalls, scarabs, poison, and so on, so this new raid should reflect that. :)

- Requiring the arcane sigil for the Ward of Elidinis (which sounds fine otherwise) is perhaps a bit off. I realise you want to maintain the value of this item, of course, but the corporeal beast has little to do with desert content (unless you make up something about souls and the Spirit Realm; but then the Summer quests don't exist in OS). The mages' book from the Mage Training Arena is perhaps more appropriate. The spirit shields are probably unique enough not to gain too much competition? I'm not an expert on this meta endgame combat discussion, though, so don't take my word for this - but it's something to consider.

- Keris on a stick: sounds great. Being able to apply Karambwan poison would be a nice addition.

- I wonder if some of the post-2007 desert music could get reused? We saw a shaded map of Ullek in the Trailblazer League, so I'm sort of expecting Tune from the Dune to appear. And Kharidian Nights since, y'know, Mod Ash exists. :) Slain to Waste and Scarabaeoidea would make excellent boss music for the raids or for the quest!

Welp, I'm certainly very eager to see the new quest, although the jump in difficulty (Contact! is already quite hard for its difficulty, and the main game had some more intermediary quests before jumping to master with Do No Evil in between) is perhaps somewhat steep. We'll see; at any rate, it does not quell the excitement! Will the Emir appear? Will Prince Ali return? Will the Amascutian Menaphites from The Feud return with fiendish schemes? (The Feud is not listed as a requirement so probably not but eh, it's an idea!) Will more of Ali Morrisane's nefarious market activities be unveiled? Will Jex's headache finally recede? And where has the Devourer gone since stealing Klenter's soul... We'll find out! :D
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

— Zanik

10-Aug-2021 19:01:30 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2021 19:06:37 by Lord Drakan

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Addendum I forgot:

Please consider adding some graphical updates to the desert NPCs. The release of RSHD saw a complete overhaul of Al Kharid and its citizens. I don't know inhowfar that falls within the scope of this update (or whether players would agree with it), but those graphics really were superb, so it's something to consider. The updates to NPCs in particular (from generic swarthy people in white robes to colourfully robed desert dwellers with fancy turbans and so on) were much appreciated. Chancellor Hassan, Osman (who was not updated with RSHD, but really should have been), Leela, Ali M (the latter two updated in 2009, not RSHD) and other such important NPCs would really benefit from the brilliant modern graphics that OS utilises. (Nardah, Pollnivneach and Sophanem are fine, both as locations and NPC-wise, I think.)

— Zanik

10-Aug-2021 19:13:34

Kid Penguin

Kid Penguin

Posts: 15,620 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm so freaking stoked. For narrative and aesthetic reasons, the Desert is one of my favorite regions of Gielinor. I'm glad this raid will have a big emphasis on narrative as well as top notch mechanics, because the narrative is one of my favorite parts of the game and often gets neglected in favor of Min/Maxing.

Heka. Why isn't the Heka BIS magic weapon? Or is it, under some circumstances against certain types of foes (e.g. ones with particularly high, low, or moderate mage/def)? I'd love to see the reasoning behind whether you want it to be always BIS, sometimes BIS, or just behind BIS. I'll guess you're going with a Circumstantially BIS strategy, so players can make interesting decisions about when to use different types of gear.

Khopesh. I have concerns about introducing new BIS melee gear. But I LOVE having a minimum damage amount above 0. That will be very, very useful for slayer tasks and other game aspects where I have to go kill lots of low-HP enemies (e.g. Story TOB Nylocas).

Keris Partisan. Will it have passive permanent bonuses against beetle-like creatures in addition to its jewel boosts, or only when you socket the relevant jewel in it? "Permanent bonus" here being a 33% damage boost plus a roughly 2% chance of dealing triple damage (an effective additional 4% increase in total damage output) against kalphite, scarabs, and beetles.

Keris Partisan again. With its current stats it looks roughly similar to the dragon spear and hasta against beetle-likes (assuming permanent damage boost like keris has), and worse against all other creatures. Except it requires 20 higher attack to wield. Is this difference just due to the jewel feature? I'd like to hope that it at least equals the dragon spear and hasta against most enemies without a jewel, and then excels with a jewel and against beetle-likes.
Top 1% bestselling Dungeons and Dragons game designer
Trouble Brewing Rework || Fashionscape Update || Upgraded Bane Weapons || Hunter Expansion

10-Aug-2021 19:21:16

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Addendum 2: I'd accidentally skipped the jewel bits for the Keris partisan. Sounds like a brilliant idea! Make sure to add a jewellery box in order to store all your jewels so they don't take up bank space. Perhaps you should also be able to display a full box on a pedestal in your POH Quest hall? (See thread in signature for other POH ideas. :P )

As for how to obtain the jewels, here's some ideas.

- One should definitely be a rare drop from Pyramid Plunder. (But not too rare; nothing like Black Ibis in the main game.)
- One or two should be found hidden away deep in dungeons from existing desert quests, with the location unique for each player. Think somewhere in the depths of Jaldraocht Pyramid, or deep in the scabarites' tunnels from Contact!, the mining camp slave mines, or at the source of the River Elid.
- At least one should come from the new raids, but I'd reckon it's not a good idea to make that the primary source of these jewels. It has plenty of rewards already.
- One should be a reward from the Mage Training Arena. Since this is distinctly non-combat, its effect should be something not-too-strong, perhaps not directly combat-related, but still useful. E.g. it halves poison damage you receive, or mitigates desert heat, or something of the sort.
- Should you run out of ideas, can always give one to Ali M or Simon Templeton, who would be willing to part with it... for a hefty price. But that's a bit boring.

It sounds thematically appropriate for each of the demigods to have a jewel named after them? "Crondis's Tooth", "Scabaras's Elytron" and so on. (They could even be references to real-life jewel beetles rather than generic stones!)

— Zanik

10-Aug-2021 19:29:22 - Last edited on 11-Aug-2021 15:12:09 by Lord Drakan

Kid Penguin

Kid Penguin

One more thought on the Keris Partisan.

Arclight is a bane weapon that is useful against a wide variety of bosses and normal enemies.

Keris has an awesome narrative that could be easily extended to spiders, scorpions, and nylocas.

Arclight shows that the community likes the idea of bane weapons that are useful and BIS or near-BIS against a wide variety of normal enemies and bosses.

I'd love if the Keris Partisan (if not also Keris dagger) benefits would extend to spiders, scorpions, and nylocas. This would include bosses like scorpia, venenatis, sarachnis, nylocas of all sorts, and perhaps Verzik Vitur's 3rd phase.

This would be for largely narrative reasons, but make the Partisan a legitimate option for making interesting gear decisions when fighting certain bosses or when on certain slayer tasks. And if you propose it as "Arclight, but for bugs," the community might really like it!

EDIT: I'm also hoping the Partisan is a 1-handed weapon and can be poisoned, just like Keris can. I'm especially hoping I can poison it with Karambwan poison, like you can with spears and hastae. I love that stuff.
Trouble Brewing Rework || Fashionscape Update || Upgraded Bane Weapons || Hunter Expansion

10-Aug-2021 19:30:54 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2021 19:58:45 by Kid Penguin

Kid Penguin

Kid Penguin

Just read all of Lord Drakan's ideas. I support all of them, especially Addendum 2, and the narrative discordance with having a Corp drop be used to upgrade the Ward of Elidnis. As I said, the narrative is my favorite part about this raid and it would be nice for there to be no plot holes I have to force myself to look past.

I'd love if jewels could be obtained from all sorts of corners of the Desert map. Here's some other ideas...

- Jaldraocht inhabitants drop something.
- Sophanem dungeon inhabitants drop something Scarabas-related.
- Something you get from mining in the slave mines, just like you occassionally find a sapphire or something while mining.
- Simeon Templeton found a jewel. He'll give it to you in exchange for 100 agility pyramid tops (noted). Must complete easy Desert diary to do this (so Simeon will accept noted artefacts).
- Ali the Trader will sell you a gem for an exorbitant price. Must complete The Feud.
- Something about Citharede Abbey? We have it in game, but it has no purpose right now.
- Fishing in the Elid dungeon
- Drop from the Kalphite Queen, or very exceptionally from normal kalphites (much like Cerberus and hellhounds)
- Cutting a cactus
- Blackjacking menaphite thugs
- Throwing tomatoes at the Duel Arena. In the hopeful event the Duel Arena is abolished, we might have to find another source for this gem.

In addition, you could add a nonmagical gem (sapphire, ruby, emerald, onyx, etc.) for purely fashionscape. It would be entirely cosmetic. Heck, maybe even allow other gems to be placed there cosmetically (slayer gem, blood shard, the Desert Treasure diamonds, etc).

10-Aug-2021 23:07:50

Kid Penguin

Kid Penguin

Here's some potential gems that provide benefits outside of immediate combat, perhaps even in skilling...

Guidance of the Teacher. This jewel is only useful in the Mage Training Arena. While holding the partisan with this jewel socketed, you can ignore all fire, air, water, and earth runes when casting spells ONLY in the MTA minigames. It also gives you an XP boost to spells cast and rewards received from these minigames to make it a viable alternative to splashing (passive mage training) and bursting (active mage training). Maybe not quite as good XP rates, but still pretty dang good and definitely cheaper. It can probably be purchased from the MTA reward shop.

Heart of Elidnis. With this jewel socketed, your HP restore rate increases. This effect stacks with prayers, the HP cape, and the Dream spell. Narratively, it's because Elidnis is a goddess of fertility, harvest, and life.

Tongue of the Beetlespeaker. With it socketed, beetles, kalphite, and scarabs do not aggro against you unless attacked first.

Thief's Right Hand. With this jewel socketed, you become sneaky and quiet. Monsters don't notice or aggro against you until you attack them. Alternatively, you have a boost to your chance of successful pickpocketing. This boost stacks with boosts from the Ardougne cape/diaries, gloves of silence, and the like.

Star Garnet. With this jewel socketed, you receive extra dust while mining shooting stars, at least in the desert. Alternatively, it provides an invisible mining boost (thus increasing XP and ore per hour rates) that stacks with the celestial signet and mining guild boosts. Received from the slave mine. Either random drop or (preferred) must exchange lots of ore with a guard or prisoner to trade for it.

10-Aug-2021 23:25:12 - Last edited on 11-Aug-2021 05:22:45 by Kid Penguin

Quick find code: 380-381-746-66225039 Back to Top