Forums

Costs

Quick find code: 366-367-546-66086183

DarknessJak
Jan Member 2018

DarknessJak

Posts: 463 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I bet you'd sell a lot more keys if you lowered the prices of said keys, lets face it the rate of you getting something like 200m or really rare is pathetic anyways, if you sold 450 keys for the price of 200 I bet you'd sell a hell of a lot more keys, and it'd be nice to get a deal once in awhile for half off, every time I spend $115 on keys I feel like I wasted my money so now every time I go to purchase them i'm just like "oh well that was a waste of money last time I guess i'll just save it" but I think if the prices were drastically reduced we would be less inclined to hate microtransactions so much, I mean they do ruin the game filled with useless clutter when the majority of cosmetic items could be actual in game armor with legitimate benefits as oppose to being sold in a store with little to no benefits so it isn't "pay to win" kinda stuff,

mini games are bland in this game offering almost no value to anybody especially for the amount of time they have to put in, I literally spend hours and days in particular mini games to slightly increase my experience, and it's a very minor increase, it's no doubt that this is the case with the majority of runescapians going back to osrs, so why not throw a bone to the loyal fans who've stuck with rs3 all this time, it would be a change of pace for once..

27-Feb-2019 02:57:04 - Last edited on 27-Feb-2019 02:58:54 by DarknessJak

DarknessJak
Jan Member 2018

DarknessJak

Just wanna throw out there that i've had deals thrown my way and still felt like i've wasted my money, maybe if you're going to charge these prices just increase the rate at which rarer item's drop in the store by like 5% because it's probably like a 0.001% chance you'll get a super rare item right now, listing the chances at which items like 200m drops in the store would also be helpful in deciding whether or not I should purchase the keys in the first place, this is a game for children and I started playing this game when I was but a wee lad, think of the children, and think of the loyal fans Jagex, all that we ask is that you make it fair for your consumers,

I honestly can't go back to osrs and start everything over yet again, all the quests again, all the grinding again, it's just too much, I really do enjoy rs3 but not with the people manipulating prices and now people don't even play to earn money anymore they just flip in the stupid grand exchange, I honestly think that was the worst update this game could have ever seen, cause before if you couldn't find what you were looking to buy in any of the worlds your only other choice would be to go get it yourself, aka fish, logs for cooking, dragonhides, ores, now you can just get it all at one place instead of experiencing the game.

27-Feb-2019 03:04:33

DarknessJak
Jan Member 2018

DarknessJak

And it's not only microtransactions, we have those, plus membership, plus prime membership, plus your loyalty store and cosmetics in there including animals/pets, it honestly feels like you're squeezing us for every penny we have just like EA and Activision does and it doesn't feel good, and in return we get very minimal content, you're worth hundreds of millions if not billions, again it is really disheartening that a game I use to love and enjoy and spend hours on daily as a child has devolved into such a state.

27-Feb-2019 03:06:52

Sharp-shin

Sharp-shin

Posts: 41,301 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
DarknessJak said :
but I think if the prices were drastically reduced we would be less inclined to hate microtransactions so much

It's not about the price of keys, since Jagex could just nerf how much a single key rewards you to balance out the reduced price of keys anyway; it's about how MTX affects the game design and development process of the game. I mean you said it yourself: we get very minimal content nowadays, and that's precisely due to Jagex being so obsessed with MTX.

Back when Jagex only sold membership, in order for them to stay profitable, they had to put effort and money into making new content frequently, whereas compared to the MTX monetization, Jagex can just copy-paste a lot of stuff to sell them again and again to the same player, which requires a lot less effort and money. And when a company only cares about short term profits rather than making a good product that brings long term profits, it's going to take the easier way out and be discouraged from putting in real effort.
"Volat Accipiter libera est; venandi sua natura est."
~Accipiter striatus

27-Feb-2019 08:29:23

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sharp-shin said :
DarknessJak said :
but I think if the prices were drastically reduced we would be less inclined to hate microtransactions so much

It's not about the price of keys, since Jagex could just nerf how much a single key rewards you to balance out the reduced price of keys anyway; it's about how MTX affects the game design and development process of the game. I mean you said it yourself: we get very minimal content nowadays, and that's precisely due to Jagex being so obsessed with MTX.

Back when Jagex only sold membership, in order for them to stay profitable, they had to put effort and money into making new content frequently, whereas compared to the MTX monetization, Jagex can just copy-paste a lot of stuff to sell them again and again to the same player, which requires a lot less effort and money. And when a company only cares about short term profits rather than making a good product that brings long term profits, it's going to take the easier way out and be discouraged from putting in real effort.

Jagex has sweetened the TH rewards, not reduced them.

Jagex has also copy-pasted a lot of stuff like putting another farming patch in another "expansion" in their games too. Why can't they copy-paste TH content? TV stations re-run old programs like Star Trek and classic movies too? Tell us why they can't do that but it won't matter anyway since all of them have been doing the same thing. :D

Long term profits? Since the start of Sequel of Fortune in Feb 2012, then to TH, Jagex profits in that "loot box" category has been skyrocketing and even reached the status of the most profitable one among all Jagex's monetisation efforts. It has been an extremely profitable and ever growing 7 years for Jagex with loot boxes. That's not long term? It must be a joke. :D :D :D

27-Feb-2019 16:11:46

UrekMazino
Aug Member 2023

UrekMazino

Posts: 7,214 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, no, that's not it. There's a physical limit as to how much xp can be gained, and after that point, or even before that point. These "consumers" will stop buying because there's either no more xp to be gained or no more reason to gain more xp.

In an aging game like rs, where new players are scarce, selling xp is not so smart long term plan.

Tell you what though, I've got a brilliant idea:

1) Remove TH (wait, please, hear me out)
2) Instead add more sources of skilling resources in game
3) Encourage people to sell bonds for in game gp so they can afford more skilling resources to train their skills
3.5) Heck, make stars and lamps tradable so that people can breeze through non-buyable skills too

Why this is a better model than TH? Because you're not generating GP or supplies out of thin air instantly by holding down the spacebar on TH. But rather you're getting them from another player. This not only can replace TH, but also preserve the economy.
°l||l° Modest Skillers T7 Citadel | Skilling clan recruiting players. °l||l°
•ï¡÷¡ï• Cwar United for CW games/Ardy task/Trim req. •ï¡÷¡ï•
120 Summoning Familiar ideas .

02-Mar-2019 10:31:17

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You are extremely naive if you still think gp, xp/levels are the only meaningful things in video games NOWADAYS.

There can be numerous forms of in game currencies, not just gp.

There can be numerous forms of achievements, not just xp/levels.

There are no limits for in game currencies. Game developers can always add more game currencies. There are no limits for "xp/levels" since the game developers can always add more game modes.

Who care about increasing gp in the game by the day if gp is not the only meaningful currency? Who care about "maxed" xp/levels if there are a lot of better things to do in the game than just wasting somebody's 50 year of real life blindly and aimlessly mining rocks or fishing?

Only "players" living under the rock for the last 10+ years don't grasp this new school idea of game development. If they think they have too much gp or have "maxed" everything already then they can just keep crying under the rock for 100 more years. But it won't matter to the real living and breathing world where players continue to enjoy the more and more new game currencies and ways to play the new school games.

Jagex can actually add more game currencies on top of gp, TH keys, bonds, runecoins, etc. They can just add new content where the new currencies matter, and not just matter but matter a lot more than gp. :D

02-Mar-2019 16:26:39 - Last edited on 02-Mar-2019 16:27:48 by Dilbert2001

Quick find code: 366-367-546-66086183 Back to Top