Forums

On Chaos Druids

Quick find code: 341-342-187-65811840

Last Prophet

Last Prophet

Posts: 3,433 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Greetings.

Today I pose a simple question to the lore community, but first, some shameless plugging context:

In August 2013, it was established (with the help of a certain prophet ;) ) that the chaos druids of Taverly were an order founded by the madman Urval, who would later come to be known as Urval the Exile, some time in the late Fourth Age.

It was Urval's unshakable belief that the gods Zamorak and Guthix were the two faces of one metaphysical coin. In his quest to unravel the mysteries of the Zamorak-Guthix godhead, he turned to animal--and later, human--sacrifice in exchange for demonic confession. As his macabre studies progressed, he developed a rudimentary, shamanistic form of necromancy, which he employed to better understand the meaning of the now and the hereafter, that he might draw closer to the wisdom of Zamorak. It was this ghastly liturgy that enticed a number of Taverly's most depraved druids into his fold, and thus, the cult of the chaos druid was born.

For his atrocious crimes against Taverly and nature itself, Urval and his acolytes were banished to the dank dungeons just south of the sleepy village, where they continue their founder's dark work to this day.

Where, then, do the far-flung chaos druid covens of Yanille, Ardougne, and Edgeville come from? Are they adherents of Urval's cult? Could we infer that Urval sent missionaries to other nations? Do they believe that Zamorak is Guthix's "ultimate form", as it were? What are their histories?

And just what exactly would Ikadia think? :p
+
Last Prophet
+

~Creator of
Ikadia the Exile
~

10-Jul-2016 13:32:20 - Last edited on 16-Nov-2016 18:31:17 by Last Prophet

Autumn Elite

Autumn Elite

Posts: 3,487 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Zamorak-Guthix relationship suggested in Birthright was very interested and fitted well. Druids are peaceful and Guthixian so making Chaos Druids see Zamorak as the ultimate Guthix form so to speak was a clever move to explain something likely added to game with little thought.

Kudos to John A. Its a shame we never got to really see him handle a sixth age god quest. He handled Bandos brilliantly in The Chosen Commander, darkened Seren in Plagues End and teased a interesting interpretation of Zamorak. All his work contained strong character themes so I'm sure he would be able to do wonders with the gods. As much as I love Death of Chivalry and The Light Within, I would be very interested to see where John A would have taken the characters of Saradomin, Seren and Zamorak.

I'd like to think the majority of Chaos Druids do originate from Urval's group. I'm sure some other people would have been able to make the same leap as him but for several groups in several areas to do so and become specifically Chaos Druids (we know Taverly is Druids - all the rest turning to Zamorakianism and keeping the Druid status) is just too much of a jump.

So I would guess Urval sent of members to spread his ideals to make a stronger Zamorakian presence. That would explain the spread out nature - for the best chances, they head to different places to recruit. I would also assume some might have been killed or died out.

As for their views, unknown. If they started from the same place of origin, there is likely similarities but like Chinese Whispers probably not exactly the same. It depends on who went, the new opinions of new recruits in their area and whether these views were passed down. Some might have radicalised more, some may have liberalised.

Great thread! It would be amazing to see these groups in future content and see their different views. I doubt any is planned (especially as the originator has left) but hopefully it comes up again.

10-Jul-2016 21:30:43

Lord Bhaal

Lord Bhaal

Posts: 5,825 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
When did Urvals cult rise?
If some time ago it is quite possible the cult has spread it's teachngs to other locations.
A druid can communicate through nature after all, or in this case possibly even through demonic means.
Strength through Chaos!
Zamorak's most loyal assassin.

10-Jul-2016 23:22:49

The contents of this message have been hidden.

11-Jul-2016 01:01:20

Last Prophet

Last Prophet

Posts: 3,433 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Autumn Elite said :
I'd like to think the majority of Chaos Druids do originate from Urval's group. I'm sure some other people would have been able to make the same leap as him but for several groups in several areas to do so and become specifically Chaos Druids (we know Taverly is Druids - all the rest turning to Zamorakianism and keeping the Druid status) is just too much of a jump.

So I would guess Urval sent of members to spread his ideals to make a stronger Zamorakian presence. That would explain the spread out nature - for the best chances, they head to different places to recruit. I would also assume some might have been killed or died out.

When I wrote Urval and Ikadia's concept, I didn't really have much consideration for the covens outside of Taverly's dungeon. I suppose I regret that. That doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't be built upon.

For instance, do you think it's possible that they sought out the secrets of the Zamorakian Magical Institute? While not purist Zamorakians in their own right, the chaos druids would stand to gain a world of insight from an authority like the ZMI.

I simply would hate to see this potential go to waste.

Lord Bhaal said :
When did Urvals cult rise?

I intended it to be right at the cut-off of the age, but I guess I left it at an ambiguous "late 4th Age."

[#0MGFV81HT] said :
Last Prophet said :
Urval and his acolytes were banished to the dank dungeons just south of the sleepy village,
I don't see any memes in those dungeons.

Now, I knew I should have chosen a different word.
+
Last Prophet
+

~Creator of
Ikadia the Exile
~

11-Jul-2016 01:35:16 - Last edited on 11-Jul-2016 01:58:36 by Last Prophet

Sepulchre
Dec Member 2020

Sepulchre

Posts: 3,525 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I always just assumed that Chaos Druids were like Druids, except they followed Zamorak... A
World Guardian
must learn to find
Balance
in themselves.
Only then can they
Control
themselves and forge their own
Fate .

11-Jul-2016 04:32:38

Sepulchre
Dec Member 2020

Sepulchre

Posts: 3,525 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Last Prophet said :
Sepulchre said :
I always just assumed that Chaos Druids were like Druids, except they followed Zamorak...

But how boring would that be? :/
Not EVERYTHING is interestingly deep in lore, y'know. Everything just has a lore explanation. :P
A
World Guardian
must learn to find
Balance
in themselves.
Only then can they
Control
themselves and forge their own
Fate .

12-Jul-2016 06:19:18

Quick find code: 341-342-187-65811840 Back to Top