Forums

Help bring new players to osrs

Quick find code: 322-323-277-66280049

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 389 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I personally wouldn't like an RS3 level of a graphics update in the game unless it's toggleable. In saying that there's plenty of people who want to preserve the OG graphics of the game as that's a big part of what makes this game old school.

In saying that like the third party plugins show, there's ways to add more modern features while keeping the existing look and feel and I think that's the kind of template we should be aiming for.

There are also other ways to bring in new players such as putting the game in front of more devices, (think about the success of mobile).

Adventure paths and the activity advisor are really useful ways to guide new players on what they should be doing while ensuring they're feeling like they're progressing.

15-May-2023 06:47:42

Rabbitmeds
Nov Member 2023

Rabbitmeds

Posts: 205 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's fair. If Jagex really wanted to they can update the engine/graphics and add an OSRS overlay for people who want to keep the current OSRS graphics, much in the same way Runelite made the overlay for HD. In that sense, we could have the best of both. 20 Year Runescape Vet. | Astrophysicist studying 21-cm hyperfine hydrogen lines

Forum Help - Forum Help

15-May-2023 07:56:37

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Rabbitmeds said :
That's fair. If Jagex really wanted to they can update the engine/graphics and add an OSRS overlay for people who want to keep the current OSRS graphics, much in the same way Runelite made the overlay for HD. In that sense, we could have the best of both.

Agreed I think that's the right way to go about it. In saying that part of my reasoning isn't just personal; I think while refreshing graphics while keeping the current animations is worthwhile, Jagex themselves may not want to go so far as RS3 graphics since the difference between the two is so huge it'd look like two vastly different games.

Looking at the third party client plug in as an example, that achieves a more appropriate middleground that the true old school days of 'Low detail' and 'high detail' had.

16-May-2023 15:06:24

Rabbitmeds
Nov Member 2023

Rabbitmeds

Very true, I think RS3 territory in terms of graphics would be a bit much but something in between would really be neat and refreshing (and would hopefully attract more people to OSRS). Keeping the current animations and ticks would be a must for sure.

A minor detail about the Runelite HD plugin, given that it is a third party overlay, it can be much more taxing on our computers (on mine the fans ramp up quite a bit, but I'm also playing on a gaming laptop). I did try out RS3 in Jagex's launcher to see how they would compare system demand wise and the fans, gpu, and cpu hardly ramped up at all. Perhaps this is due to the level of optimization Jagex has access to?

If Jagex updated the OSRS graphics and made an overlay if people want to play the current graphics, perhaps they too can make it less taxing. Though like I said, this may just be a minor point. It really could be the new 'low detail' and 'high detail'.

I asked a few die hard OSRS players in my clan (vets like me!) if they would support a graphical/engine update if everything else remained the same. In nice terms they essentially said 'no', I asked again but with what we're proposing and they said they'd be much more open to that, only if they had both options though. (paraphrasing here).

Having options could be the best approach to something of this nature, hmm.
20 Year Runescape Vet. | Astrophysicist studying 21-cm hyperfine hydrogen lines

Forum Help - Forum Help

16-May-2023 17:08:03 - Last edited on 16-May-2023 17:09:16 by Rabbitmeds

mastercast3r
Mar Member 2023

mastercast3r

Posts: 438 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rabbitmeds said :
That's fair. If Jagex really wanted to they can update the engine/graphics and add an OSRS overlay for people who want to keep the current OSRS graphics, much in the same way Runelite made the overlay for HD. In that sense, we could have the best of both.
It would be better if they added an overlay for hd and kept the normal graphs the way they are.

Rabbitmeds said :
Jagex definitely has the revenue stream and ability to update the engine, they're making more now than they ever have.
Sure, they could be the thing is, this is not the main game. They do not want to pay more for this game as it is basically a side hustle to bring more money in for the main game.

What you are ignoring is that it would take a vote and I do not believe you would get 75% support to change the graphics. It would also be a lot cheaper to make an overlay rather than updating the engine.

17-May-2023 18:36:24 - Last edited on 17-May-2023 18:39:28 by mastercast3r

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Options for big changes like this definitely are a good thing so I agree with your wholeheartedly here :) As you mentioned with your clan mates, I think most people are very happy to have it as an option for those who wish to have that.

19-May-2023 13:17:15

Cibba

Cibba

Posts: 4 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No support. I actually like the old graphics of oldschool. I like that it can run on older hardware. If you want good graphics, play another game. This is the artstyle oldschool has, and always will. We don't need new players. You haven't given us a reason why we need new players.

If you can't respect that oldschool boasts its own unique graphical style, which is charming btw, then it was never for you. Try another game.

19-May-2023 14:09:42

Pika 111
May Member 2023

Pika 111

Posts: 62 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I dont think the graphics in OSRS have a significant factor influencing its popularity. Instead the focus should be more on marketing efforts, particularly targeting younger people and kids. Games like Minecraft and Roblox are examples of popular options for children, despite not having exceptional graphics. These games capture the attention of young players who become familiar with their gameplay mechanics such as first-person and third-person perspectives with WASD movement controls. Therefore younger people tend to go towards similar gaming experiences or revisit those games for nostalgia and social connections. Just like how most OSRS players were young kids back in the old days and are back to play OSRS again.
I rarely came across anyone who had heard of RuneScape, at least in Australia. Most of them actively played Roblox because it offers a wide variety of games within a single platform. Also parents view Roblox as the 'safe' choice for their kids.

To address this to "bring new players to OSRS" I would suggest Jagex should focus more on targeted marketing campaigns that highlight the unique aspects and gameplay experiences of OSRS. They could emphasize the educational value of the game and promote the sense of community it offers. It might be helpful for new players to automatically join a beginner's clan chat to receive guidance and feel a sense of belonging among fellow players.

Jagex could also explore partnerships with popular influencers and content creators outside of the RuneScape community. For example I've been following a streamer named Fuslie for years, who is one of the top paid streamers, but I've never seen her promote RuneScape.

20-May-2023 07:21:23 - Last edited on 30-Jun-2023 12:29:02 by Pika 111

Rabbitmeds
Nov Member 2023

Rabbitmeds

A lot of valid points here- I'd like to push back regarding the graphics, mainly because the correlation between game-play and graphics is difficult to actually quantify (there are no studies that I am aware of that show this correlation). To say that younger players as a whole do not care about graphics is simply not true, both are true. People are can be attracted to graphics and solid game play, or either one. This is why both options are important to have and are equally valid.

With that said, there is an approved client already called HDOS, much like Runelite- it has the HD graphics of 2008 Runescape, it is simply fantastic with a few clipping issues that need to be worked out. It was made by a passionate few. I only stumbled upon it a few days ago, I'd love for it to be included in Runescapes official launcher like Runelite is but it needs a bit of work currently, and definitely more plugins for people who are into that. So maybe that's the key?

As I said it is an official client, here is the announcement by Jagex on 17 June, 2022:

link: https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/third-party-clients-update?oldschool=1

You do bring up a very good point which others have mentioned as well- marketing!
I pretty much agree with everything you have mentioned in this regard.

I will not be responding to those that say 'play a different game' or 'Runescape doesn't need new players.' for obvious reasons. These are incredibly ignorant things to say, economically in terms of the longevity of the company and as a player base.
20 Year Runescape Vet. | Astrophysicist studying 21-cm hyperfine hydrogen lines

Forum Help - Forum Help

23-May-2023 21:44:47 - Last edited on 23-May-2023 22:32:08 by Rabbitmeds

Quick find code: 322-323-277-66280049 Back to Top