Forums

Are the pre-GE folks dead?

Quick find code: 317-318-690-66150915

brendan2678
Nov Member 2023

brendan2678

Posts: 5 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I started playing around 2005 and I remember going to the banks to trade my items there would be flashing comments and if I remember correctly sometimes people would pay a lot better money for things than what you would get nowadays at ge but sometimes people would try to scam you as well by removing there money right before you would accept there trade and I would get soo mad lol. before the ge quests would take soo much longer because you would have to make all the items you needed because you couldn't always find rarer items from other players. idk I love the ge though it makes things soo much easier I wouldn't go back bran1010

12-Apr-2020 04:57:15

brendan2678
Nov Member 2023

brendan2678

Posts: 5 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
pre ge made everything seem so real like the game was basically real life now you just magically get whatever you want from the banker at ge lol like you used to have to go find the items idk how to explain it bran1010

12-Apr-2020 05:01:31

weston btw

weston btw

Posts: 2,495 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ikr lol. I didn't even play back then yet loved what it was like before the GE came to OSRS. I never became addicted to this game until OSRS was released. Pre-EoC was garbage in retrospect. I would much rather anyone PK in game than do so irl. If you wanna get it out, do it on an online platform please. I don't want anyone getting harmed physically. :(

12-Apr-2020 20:06:43

Missing

Missing

Posts: 146 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So, has anyone here talked to a j-mod about the GE and heard what they think about it? Is there any chance of it being removed, replaced, or changed in any way?

I wouldn't mind removal of GE altogether but there are some good things about it too like convenience and it's also interesting how it has supply and demand and economics. I guess that was there implicitly pre-GE too but now it's more explicit. It's kind of like the stock market in real life.... BUT as it is now I think it takes away too much from the game.

One interesting idea would be to restrict the GE to only certain types of items.

One example could be limiting the GE only to primary items like logs and ores. Maybe with that a skill like smithing would be good for something more than just meeting quest and diary requirements.

13-Apr-2020 01:39:56 - Last edited on 13-Apr-2020 01:49:13 by Missing

Ownage Omg

Ownage Omg

Posts: 14,364 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Missing said :
So, has anyone here talked to a j-mod about the GE and heard what they think about it? Is there any chance of it being removed, replaced, or changed in any way?
No, no and no.

There is literally no benefit to removing the GE... I don't understand you weirdos who love standing around for hours just to get a trade.

The only change I would support is an idea some dude had on Reddit I think. The GE would impose a 0.5 - 1% tax and that tax would add into a pot until it reaches 100% of the item price. Upon this happening, the GE would "buy" the item and remove it from the game creating an item sink.
Hardstyle
|
@OwnageRS
|
OSRS
|
U
K

13-Apr-2020 22:51:48 - Last edited on 13-Apr-2020 22:54:17 by Ownage Omg

Lu f f y

Lu f f y

Posts: 1,397 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
weston btw said :
RupertGiles2 said :
I do not believe the group was ever that big.

Explain the 230k player counters back then, nubnub.
was a new game, no different than when WoW came out they had crap ton of people now the game is 17 years old it died down a ton.
basic common logic nerd
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!

15-Apr-2020 18:41:43

weston btw

weston btw

Posts: 2,495 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lu f f y said :
weston btw said :
RupertGiles2 said :

was a new game, no different than when WoW came out they had crap ton of people now the game is 17 years old it died down a ton.
basic common logic nerd

I'm about to log off WoW Classic right now because of how unbearably laggy it is. That's the problem with people actually wanting to be on it unlike a dead game such as aRSe3. Abundance of players causes lag.
I would much rather anyone PK in game than do so irl. If you wanna get it out, do it on an online platform please. I don't want anyone getting harmed physically. :(

16-Apr-2020 00:15:53

XSad asianX

XSad asianX

Posts: 161 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
weston btw said :
Lu f f y said :
weston btw said :
RupertGiles2 said :

basic common logic nerd

I'm about to log off WoW Classic right now because of how unbearably laggy it is. That's the problem with people actually wanting to be on it unlike a dead game such as aRSe3. Abundance of players causes lag.

Usually bad servers cause lag, not the abudance of players.
The "dead" game is giving me free bonds at the moment thanks to Archaeology.
I wish there were more dead games like RS, that lets me get 14 days of free membership in a couple of evenings or even more during weekends.
Also, the player counter probably reached 190k-230k players online between 2008 and 2011, when botting was rampant. Max we got pre-ge was 150k (there were still a lot of bots).

Anyway.. Back to the topic.
I started to play in 2004 and I remember how cool it was to buy stuff from general stores or from other players. I must say, unfortunately we will never get those good old times back, since people started to use Zybez since day 1 when OSRS came out. That's why it's not possible to have pre-GE servers back.

The internet we got now isn't like internet back then. There was no wiki, no YouTube, no Zybez, so it was possible to have a game like that. Also, I don't think there are too many people loving pre-GE, since people wanted a GE added to DMM as well.

I liked how the game was back then, but I understand that we are in 2020 and times change. We have to deal with it. We can't rollback the whole reality.

16-Apr-2020 23:05:37

Causto
Dec Member 2021

Causto

Posts: 14 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Pre-GE, there were a lot of scammer "traders". But there are now too, so who knows.

Trading did feel much more "alive" pre-GE. When you went to Varrock outside the west back (on F2P worlds) it seemed like a market place you might visit IRL with people advertising goods constantly.

But the game was completely different back then. Much harder to train skills because you couldn't mass spam buy materials like you can today.

When I started playing, Santa Hats were 100k, which may give you a decent idea when I started.

17-Apr-2020 13:54:10 - Last edited on 17-Apr-2020 13:56:25 by Causto

Quick find code: 317-318-690-66150915 Back to Top