Forums

Content Poll - Prestige

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445

Mod Jack

Mod Jack

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user

Content Poll - Prestige

Hi again everyone.

We’re running a poll to decide whether the recently announced Prestige update should be added to the game. We’re taking this step because we intended this update to be positive content for our high level players and those who are close to high level, but what we’ve seen instead is that it’s contentious and controversial. We really want to do what is best by the community, so please vote and let us know your opinion!

There are several core objectives with Prestige:

• To provide aspirational objectives for all high-level players.

• To allow the hiscores to be competitive once more.

• To let players earn distinctive accomplishments above and beyond skillcapes.

My recent dev blog laid out these objectives and how we intended Prestige to address them. The reaction we got was mixed, to say the least. We’ve had some excellent feedback and suggestions about potential flaws in the system and ways in which it might fail to meet our goals. However, we’re concerned that if we fix those issues piecemeal, we might end up with something that doesn’t really accomplish anything.

Therefore, we’re willing to take it back to the drawing board if that's what you'd prefer. The rules of the poll are:

• If we get at least 75% 'Yes' votes, we’ll implement the Prestige system.

• If we don’t get at least that many votes, we won’t implement Prestige.

• In order to participate in the poll you need a Runescape account with membership, and the account must have been created before the 10th of October 2013 (the date the Prestige blog was released).

If we don’t implement Prestige, we’ll reassess the project’s goals and our implementation of them based on all the feedback we’ve been given. We’re not going to abandon the idea of providing more things to do and more accomplishments, but we are willing to look at other ways of doing this.

We want to know your thoughts, so please vote now. You can find the poll here .

Mod Jack

16-Oct-2013 16:15:22 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2013 11:19:38 by Mod Jack

Alexander V

Alexander V

Forum Moderator Posts: 43,478 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Many thanks for the opportunity to allow us to vote. I voted 'no' simply because I have invested so much of my time already into this game, and don't have the time to do it all over again.

I hope we will see similar polls to this in the future that will really allow the players to shape the future of their game.

17-Oct-2013 10:17:14

Snidey
Oct Member 2018

Snidey

Posts: 1,973 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"If we don’t implement Prestige, we’ll reassess the project** goals and our implementation of them based on all the feedback we’ve been given. We’re not going to abandon the idea of providing more things to do and more accomplishments, but we are willing to look at other ways of doing this."

Voting NO in this poll for what was included in the Dev Blog but I do support it being implemented in a way that rewards those with exp already in excess of the minimum 13.034m needed for 99.
Snidey

17-Oct-2013 10:18:16

Mod Crow

Mod Crow

Alexander V said :
Many thanks for the opportunity to allow us to vote. I voted 'no' simply because I have invested so much of my time already into this game, and don't have the time to do it all over again.

The aim of Prestige was to make it entirely optional as to whether you choose to do it again and also give you the option to just 'switch back' to your stats if you got tired of re-levelling them. You wouldn't have been forced into doing it or locked into training again if you chose to do so.

17-Oct-2013 10:19:33

Astralach

Astralach

Posts: 6,228 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for this :)

I voted 'no' because I felt that, despite the fact that they would continue to exist, it would make the current hiscores a redundant, a relic of sorts. I'd much rather see skills extended to 120 than see some kind of Call of Duty-esque prestige system implemented. Whilst c. 300 votes isn't exactly a clear indiction of have the poll will go, I think that it only has a slim chance of being successful. I'm really glad to see that a leaf has been taken out of OSRS's book, it's a pity that there wasn't a similar poll for Bonds :P
RGU | CLF | FGU | Ninja | EGC | Premier | General

17-Oct-2013 10:20:19 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2013 10:26:27 by Astralach

Dumblikeafox
Oct Member 2022

Dumblikeafox

Posts: 3,027 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Crow said :
Alexander V said :

The aim of Prestige was to make it entirely optional as to whether you choose to do it again and also give you the option to just 'switch back' to your stats if you got tired of re-levelling them. You wouldn't have been forced into doing it or locked into training again if you chose to do so.

That's not how addiction works.

17-Oct-2013 10:22:54

Lysium
Jul Member 2012

Lysium

Posts: 4,703 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think it's really sad to see it has come to this!

People were all butthurt over the highscores and weren't even able to provide proper feedback than to say bad things about runescape and JaGeX.
I found this a really fun idea, even tho I only have 1 99 skill.
I hope the poll will win it's 75% majority votes, but I doubt with all those people crying about it.

Looking forward to the other ideas you guys (Jagex) will come up with for people with 99 in a skill! :)

I voted YES with both my accounts!
Owner of Ellie, Shrimpy & KBD pet! :D

17-Oct-2013 10:22:55 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2013 10:24:40 by Lysium

Mod Crow

Mod Crow

Midget Luva said :
i also voted no, because why even bring in a level system we already got one just bring in a new boss or other stuff that we want and not a stupid little prestige system like come on

Don't forget that content like this doesn't effect your regular game updates. We have various different teams at Jagex all working on different things and so Prestige wouldn't have any effect on getting new bosses, quests and so on.

17-Oct-2013 10:27:21

Alexander V

Alexander V

Forum Moderator Posts: 43,478 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Crow said :
Alexander V said :

I appreciate that, I really do. And for a while I was indifferent as to whether Prestige was added to the game. 'Yes' — players wouldn't be forced to do it, but it would naturally pressure players into competing and spending more time training skills they had already spent countless hours training, simply to avoid having their current achievements diminished.

I fear that the Prestige system would encourage (whether intentional or not) unhealthy and excessive gameplay. Perhaps a better solution would be to increase levels to 120 and add new content to the existing skills instead of just encouraging players to accumulate unreasonable amounts of experience with the same content again and again.

17-Oct-2013 10:28:01 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2013 10:28:38 by Alexander V

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445 Back to Top