Forums

Content Poll - Prestige

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445

SgtSevenfold

SgtSevenfold

Posts: 109 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My thoughts exactly about grinding to 99, I just got 99 slayer and by thats was hefty long, the prestige system being 3x as long in skilling would make slayer impossible. I came up with an idea. Basically giving the player an option to switch back and forth from prestige. So they still have there 99 to go back to if they wanna make some money cutting crystal and elder trees, And if they feeling like training prestige they can easily swap to prestige and there actual 99.

29-Oct-2013 12:39:58

Easty

Easty

Posts: 3,372 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is a tough one.

I am myself a mid-level player, and I don't see myself ever using a prestige system in RuneScape. However, that doesn't mean I can't see the possible attractiveness in having such a system available.

The question therefore is "how will this affect me", and that is primarily - if not exclusively - going to be reflected in the economy.

There's no doubt that a prestige system, assuming anyone uses it, will have an effect on prices. If more players are playing low and mid-level content, it stands to reason that demand for those items will go up, meaning the price will go up. However, since at least some of those items are also generated by the same content, supply of those items should increase correspondingly, which makes the price go down.

Higher prices are not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, buying stuff is going to be more expensive, but you also get more when selling stuff. This would incentivize people to engage more in production, which in turn would increase supply, bringing prices down again. It would take some time to stabilize, but the overall effect on the market should be beneficial to everyone.

It would be much worse if supply picks up, but demand doesn't. This causes prices to go down, and that is likely to hurt the economy far more than a temporary rise in prices. This does not seem particularly likely for low- and mid-level items, but it might happen for high-level items, if too many people reset their skills - but that doesn't seem too likely either.

I've tried to imagine a scenario where the long-term economy ends up worse from Prestige, but the only thing that comes to mind would be if too many people quit before allowing the effects to show themselves.

For that reason, I'm going to vote YES to the idea. The system might need some reworking before high-level players find it interesting, but if they don't, then that just means they won't use it - and the economy will remain unaffected. :)

29-Oct-2013 19:19:24

The contents of this message have been hidden.

31-Oct-2013 22:20:24

The contents of this message have been hidden.

01-Nov-2013 13:01:01

Kreyadil

Kreyadil

Posts: 40 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
From what i've heard, the prestige system is to revert lvl's back to 1, and frankly this seems like a good thing, especially for skillers who if they lvl up combat even once, they will want to begin another acc all over again.
This is something skillers have been waiting for, for like... ever.
I think this could improve the skilling community a ton.

03-Nov-2013 20:04:16

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445 Back to Top