Forums

Post reactions

Quick find code: 278-279-950-66195115

Kopaka
Dec Member 2023

Kopaka

Posts: 3,578 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In Discord, people in a channel can add small graphical icons as reactions to a message.

Similary in Facebook, you can do a simple like, or you can react with an emoji.

I think it would be swell if instead of people posting a quoted post they agree with and writing "^ this", they instead could just do an upvote on the message.

This could also provide a useful metric for finding problematic posts, for example, if there was a downvote option, even if the sum was hidden to prevent user abuse, a post that received high volume of downvotes could alert a forum moderator to investigate the situation.

Conversely a post with a lot of upvotes might indicate a lot of community support, if that's something the developers are interested in knowing.

I think it would be good to openly display the amount of support a post receives, although I would support not showing the amount of downvotes.

As far as it seems to me, a post which simply is someone saying "^ this" is contributing nothing to a discussion and is therefore spam, and this would offer an alternative method for people without anything to contribute to still show their support for someone's position.

25-Dec-2020 02:20:31

Varpushaukka

Varpushaukka

Posts: 503 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In theory, this could work nicely.

In practice, not so much. To start with, Jagex's web team is one of their least productive teams. Can you remember the last time they updated the forums? Yeah, me neither. The forums are in general very outdated, and even in the best case scenario I doubt this would be top priority.

Kopaka said :
This could also provide a useful metric for finding problematic posts, for example, if there was a downvote option, even if the sum was hidden to prevent user abuse, a post that received high volume of downvotes could alert a forum moderator to investigate the situation.

Sounds good, but people would try to abuse it anyway, since it's not as if clicking a downvote button takes any effort either way. Btw, have you seen the traffic in forum help? Fmods have no issue finding the problematic posts, when regular users report them there anyway, and quite generously too.

Kopaka said :
Conversely a post with a lot of upvotes might indicate a lot of community support, if that's something the developers are interested in knowing.

That's the thing, they aren't; Reddit is much more popular for this purpose, and even there Jagex ignores posts with hundreds or even thousands of upvotes, such as whenever people ask for removal of MTX or even just the reduction of it. The only vote that matters is the one you make with your wallet, otherwise Jagex will do what makes them the most money short term, not what the community wants.
Sparrowhawk (UIM)
. . . .
TLVL: 1775 / 2277
. . . .
# of 99's: 4 / 23
. . . .
QP: 218 / 279

25-Dec-2020 08:51:29

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Varpushaukka said :

That's the thing, they aren't; Reddit is much more popular for this purpose, and even there Jagex ignores posts with hundreds or even thousands of upvotes, such as whenever people ask for removal of MTX or even just the reduction of it. The only vote that matters is the one you make with your wallet, otherwise Jagex will do what makes them the most money short term, not what the community wants.

Just because something gets lots of attention, doesnt mean its a good thing.

Use your head for a second, even if MTX were removed, something else would have to take its place, so whos to say it'll be "better"?
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

25-Dec-2020 15:09:03

Jamandy52
Dec Member 2008

Jamandy52

Posts: 17,179 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
support 23 200ms. Founder of Jamandy52 skilling clan. Favorite skill: Construction. Love skilling. Love minigames.
Working on 200m Divination atm. PM for effigies assists, and for tips when skilling. World 70.

26-Dec-2020 08:24:58

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

UrekMazino said :
Who says it has to? OSRS doesn't have MTX and its popularity and playerbase is growing more than RS3.

Yet thats the thing, a good chunk of those "players" are still bots, so i dont think thats something id be happy about having in my game of choice.

Plus yes it does have MTX in form of bonds.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

26-Dec-2020 12:06:47 - Last edited on 26-Dec-2020 12:08:09 by Draco Burnz

UrekMazino
Aug Member 2023

UrekMazino

Posts: 7,214 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said :
UrekMazino said :
Who says it has to? OSRS doesn't have MTX and its popularity and playerbase is growing more than RS3.

Yet thats the thing, a good chunk of those "players" are still bots, so i dont think thats something id be happy about having in my game of choice.

Plus yes it does have MTX in form of bonds.

You see, unlike the other thread, you here are making a statement, and thus need to back it up. Do you have any proof that "a good chunk" of players are bots? Any numbers to actually provide context? "Good chunk" is a descriptive word, it can be interpreted differently by everyone, someone could say 5% of playerbase are bots is a "good chunk" while others might say 30%.

Since we're talking about RS and Jagex specifically in this thread, we can assume bonds for membership to be separate from MTX. After all, bonds used to buy membership are parked under subscription and not MTX.
°l||l° Modest Skillers T7 Citadel | Skilling clan recruiting players. °l||l°
•ï¡÷¡ï• Cwar United for CW games/Ardy task/Trim req. •ï¡÷¡ï•
120 Summoning Familiar ideas .

26-Dec-2020 12:54:32

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

UrekMazino said :
Do you have any proof that "a good chunk" of players are bots? Any numbers to actually provide context? "Good chunk" is a descriptive word, it can be interpreted differently by everyone, someone could say 5% of playerbase are bots is a "good chunk" while others might say 30%.

Proof is in the bot busting streams they have. No need to provide it myself when the mods do it for me.

Just because you might ignore them doesnt mean it isnt proof.

UrekMazino said :

Since we're talking about RS and Jagex specifically in this thread, we can assume bonds for membership to be separate from MTX. After all, bonds used to buy membership are parked under subscription and not MTX.

Yet they are as they do benefit your acc the same way TH does so how ppl think they arent is beyond me.

You can use them to buy items thus the benefit.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

26-Dec-2020 12:58:49

Iceberg
Sep Member 2008

Iceberg

Posts: 20,587 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kopaka said :
In Discord, people in a channel can add small graphical icons as reactions to a message.

Similary in Facebook, you can do a simple like, or you can react with an emoji.

I think it would be swell if instead of people posting a quoted post they agree with and writing "^ this", they instead could just do an upvote on the message.

I reckon the actual usage of reactions for the forums would be quite low. Their use on the RS Discord is actually low when you consider the number of active participants in the server.

The #runescape-news channel is set up where newspost links are automatically posted when a new newspost appears. A set of reactions are automatically added to each link so that players can quickly react with their thoughts on the given update.

The channel has seen over 1,000 unique viewers over the past 28 days, yet despite that there aren't anywhere near that many reactions to each newspost link. You'll find this to be a thing in social media as well - a post may have say 1,000 likes, however to achieve that number you're looking at a significantly higher number of people having seen the post in the first place (reach). Not as many people engage with posts as you might think. It works for big pages on social media platforms because they have enough people looking at their posts in the first place.

For what it's worth, the #runescape-news channel is also set up so that the contents itself can be published to other servers who have opted to have their server follow #runescape-news, so many might have access to the newsposts via another server but won't be able to react without going over to the RS server, since the reactions don't follow over. We've recently added a tag role, where users can be notified in the RS server when a new newspost is out, and we have seen a slight uptick in reactions as more and more discover and apply the role to themselves, however not by a great amount.
… .
_|¯¯¯|_

… …
( '
v
' )
.……
I
C
E
B
E
R
G

>--
(
:
)
--<

26-Dec-2020 13:07:30

Iceberg
Sep Member 2008

Iceberg

Posts: 20,587 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't think the forums have enough traffic to make such a feature worthwhile (just to reiterate, a reaction system is very rarely engaged with to a high level. The highest engagement rate I've ever achieved is 57% of the audience reach engaging with a post, which in itself is astronomically rare and requires a lot of the audience to actually feel inclined to react. The general engagement rate is typically below 10% for a good page.).

Despite what size the forum audience may be and how the forum audience engages, what social media tells us is that most people won't bother with engaging with a post, despite how easy it is to just tap on like.
… .
_|¯¯¯|_

… …
( '
v
' )
.……
I
C
E
B
E