Forums

Increase Max Character limit

Quick find code: 278-279-578-66191466

XSlay4DeathX
Mar Member 2007

XSlay4DeathX

Posts: 2,634 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Increase the max character limits for posts from 2000 to 5000. I see no harm in increasing this, minus those that like forum count but they can continue to keep posts under 2k if they wish, it's a choice when you click "post" on how much words you have written.

It's just a value in code, so easy to change vs designing code to remove valid matching quotes from someone's count of 2000 characters. <---i am 300-500 characters short for many posts.

<---it's just a value, see pic, i set it 1,5million and 400,000 no issues, just change whatever addresses/writes to this value and done.

Yeah, 5000 is more than enough but better more than not enough. Just don't do 100000+ or the "characters remaining" does get glitchy by some invisible box/max char limit on line :P

And....maybe first post on a thread can be programmed to have 10,000 chars, sometimes i find it odd how people have to take up 4-5 post boxes to set up a forum thread. <---do this after, i'll even settle for 3000 but best for a X2 plus some extra.

I'm sure many might disagree with this, since most only do 1k char posts but it's very easy to hit 2k when explaining things and even editing your own posts they add weird chars to post sometimes if close to 2k(removes text). My 2 cents, Enjoy your day.

30-Nov-2020 09:02:25 - Last edited on 30-Nov-2020 09:03:41 by XSlay4DeathX

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I do not think this is necessary. If we were to add more than 2,000 characters per post, it would be really hard to keep track of what exactly OP is trying to say. Whenever someone is trying to create a thread, it's always ideal to be as concise as possible so that you are able to keep the audience entertained and hooked. If I come into a thread and I see a wall of post with 5,000 characters, I can guarantee that I will be disappointed and most likely will not be able to focus on what you are trying to convey.

Now, if this idea were only to apply to anything else BUT the first post, then that's something else. The first post must be "sacred", sort of speak, due to the fact that it's what I'm going to read first (well, after the title, that is) and its content must be attractive and to the point. Other than that, I think it's unnecessary to add more characters than what we already have as it'd make it harder for the readers to stay attached to what's being shared.

As it stands, J-Mods do not have a character limit or are able to type a lot of characters in. If there is a limit, I forgot what it is, but the point is that they are able to type a lot of information into a post. I haven't seen this done in YEARS. If you do require more than 2,000 characters per post, that's why the next post is available. I just think it's easier the way it is instead of having a cluster of characters in one post.

30-Nov-2020 14:52:50

XSlay4DeathX
Mar Member 2007

XSlay4DeathX

@Ana, Well with more chars people can divide the text better with lines or ascii etc, but i fully understand some don't add spaces and it's a massive clutter reason i html edit some posts for easier reading.

@StoatKing, indeed i know nothing about web site programming on the server end, only the visible settings locally i decoded by messing around looking for how things worked, what changed this or that/how did they make this do that etc, i'm a very curious type of person, it "seems" easy to alter tho as it's only one value and the limit is increased, scrolling works as intended, did 1,5M chars and filled it all to zero chars remaining.

Some things on a site require many things to be changed for something to change and work right, reason i profiled it as "easy", i can't view server side stuff(wouldn't want to)....i bet there is 2 or 3 codes that write/read/address that limit number "2000".

30-Nov-2020 18:18:32

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mrs Ana said :
I do not think this is necessary. If we were to add more than 2,000 characters per post, it would be really hard to keep track of what exactly OP is trying to say. Whenever someone is trying to create a thread, it's always ideal to be as concise as possible so that you are able to keep the audience entertained and hooked. If I come into a thread and I see a wall of post with 5,000 characters, I can guarantee that I will be disappointed and most likely will not be able to focus on what you are trying to convey.

Now, if this idea were only to apply to anything else BUT the first post, then that's something else. The first post must be "sacred", sort of speak, due to the fact that it's what I'm going to read first (well, after the title, that is) and its content must be attractive and to the point. Other than that, I think it's unnecessary to add more characters than what we already have as it'd make it harder for the readers to stay attached to what's being shared.

As it stands, J-Mods do not have a character limit or are able to type a lot of characters in. If there is a limit, I forgot what it is, but the point is that they are able to type a lot of information into a post. I haven't seen this done in YEARS. If you do require more than 2,000 characters per post, that's why the next post is available. I just think it's easier the way it is instead of having a cluster of characters in one post.

^

No support.

If you cant say what you want to say within 2k characters then its probably best off not said.

Posts arent supposed to be made into novels just little snipits of info to get your point across.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

30-Nov-2020 21:09:13

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said :
Posts arent supposed to be made into novels just little snipits of info to get your point across.
And yet, there's literally a "Stories" section for people to post their novels in... so... there is that...

The notion that you believe that someone shouldn't be posting at all if they cannot post what they want to say in 2k characters is absurd. There are a lot of topics which require a great deal of explanation.

I get it if you want to limit yourself to a simply sentence or two, but, other people actually use the forums as they were intended, and not as some sort of a Twitter clone.

Mrs Ana said :
J-Mods do not have a character limit or are able to type a lot of characters in. If there is a limit, I forgot what it is
If I remember correctly, it's 15k characters.
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

30-Nov-2020 21:24:18

XSlay4DeathX
Mar Member 2007

XSlay4DeathX

Draco Burnz said :

^

No support.

If you cant say what you want to say within 2k characters then its probably best off not said.

But these snipits of info your referring to are never enough to get a point across lol, there is more to just posting "support/no support". I like to give feedback and explain my choices and why, not just post " this is how it is, just live with it etc". ;)

Plus it's an inconvenience to do two posts that are one post and two sentences on the next, i don't care for forum count so i rather post once with all the details.

01-Dec-2020 07:51:19

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,605 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I would not mind increasing the amount of characters per post.

On the other hand, being able to express yourself succinctly is a good skill to have, too! ;)
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

01-Dec-2020 21:34:04

Quick find code: 278-279-578-66191466 Back to Top