Forums

Define "politics" Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-328-66203612

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just so we all know, what definition of "politics" is the moderation team following?

Obviously, political figures are considered "politics", but, beyond that, what definition are we going with? What types of discussions fall under the "politics" rule being enforced?
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

16-Feb-2021 01:49:29

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We won't know as moderation policies are confidential.

Millions of things are linked to politics, some trivial some harsh. We just have to apply common sense.
Forum offence system
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

16-Feb-2021 02:51:22

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,973 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As Corder has mentioned, there's a lot of things that could lead to politics due to many things these days being politicized so, perhaps just a common sense approach is best here outside of obvious discussions entirely based on political figures & governments.

I'm sure there's been a number of discussions in OT since last summer that have touched on politics in some shape or form, or have had some political undertones. The Covid thread as one example that stands out since it's obviously something very relevant to all of our lives right now, but at the same time is surrounded by politics.

That being said, I don't think it's a huge issue since nobody is going to find themselves in serious trouble for posting something thats perhaps a little too political or would lead a political discussion.
Joel

Need support? Support Centre | Forum Help

16-Feb-2021 03:53:54

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

You keep saying the word "politics" (8 times you used "politic") but you haven't explained what "politics" means.

What definition of "politics" are we using here?

Are we using this definition:
Original message details are unavailable.

the total complex of relations between people living in society
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/politics

Or this one:

any activity concerned with the acquisition of power, gaining one's own ends, etc
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/politics

Or this one:

relating to relationships of power that exist between people in an organization
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/political

The problem with just saying "a common sense approach" in a response to a question like this is that the sense that is being applied needs to be shared with the common people in order for it to be common sense. If it's not common knowledge among the people, it's not common sense.

16-Feb-2021 04:37:19

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,973 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm sure the initial intent of the re-introduction of the 'no politics' last summer rule was more to curb obvious discussions surrounding governments, political leaders, upcoming elections and political movements given the conflicts and environment it was creating on the forums.

However, that's not to say its limited to just the above as there could be a number of different topics and discussions that could lead to the same sort of conflict and environment Jagex wishes to avoid on the forums.

Is there a reason you're asking this? And now? Given that this rule has been back in place since last summer, so it's hardly a new rule change.
Joel

16-Feb-2021 05:16:22

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Joel said :
However, that's not to say its limited to just the above as there could be a number of different topics and discussions that could lead to the same sort of conflict and environment Jagex wishes to avoid on the forums.
What definition of "politics" is being employed for discussions beyond "governments, political leaders, upcoming elections and political movements"?

What is the criteria that is being used to determine if a thread is "political" beyond the aforementioned examples?

Joel said :
Is there a reason you're asking this? And now? Given that this rule has been back in place since last summer, so it's hardly a new rule change.
I'm asking now because I would like some clarity on what is considered "politics". I don't think the timeframe in which the question is being asked has any relevance to the answer, does it? It should be the same answer if I asked on the first day that the rule was initiated, as it would be today, wouldn't it? Or has it changed since the rule instituted? Not that "politics" was clarified for the community back then either. People asked, but, no answers were given. So I'm asking now for a bit of clarity.

16-Feb-2021 05:40:08

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Again, the intent was to stop discussions that sparked conflict and an environment in which JMods wanted to avoid on the forums, the OT forum specifically.

So in broad terms, if it's a subject likely to bait, cause conflict and/or create a toxic environment then best not to post it, hence the common sense approach which is something the RSOF has tried to use more of compared to a decade ago when we had an extensive Code of Conduct.
Joel

16-Feb-2021 06:09:04

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

So if I've got this correct, political discussions (beyond "governments, political leaders, upcoming elections and political movements") are allowed, so long as they aren't "likely to bait, cause conflict and/or create a toxic environment"?

Or have I misinterpreted that?

16-Feb-2021 06:29:27 - Last edited on 16-Feb-2021 06:33:46 by NexOrigin

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

I'm not going to post an exhaustive list of all the do's and dont's in the same way the Code of Conduct doesn't list out all subjects that are deemed appropriate, or not appropriate.

If it's directly political or something that has been politicized then best not to post it.

I'm not sure if you've got a particular thread subject in mind to post and if you do I obviously don't know what it would be about so couldn't comment as to whether or not the team would deem it suitable or not.
Joel

16-Feb-2021 06:42:32

Stoat King

Stoat King

Posts: 5,075 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ In other words there is no such definition.
Its up to the FMods on an ad hoc basis, according to their mood.
Im surprised you even needed to ask, Nex.

Ironic to see Joel pontificating about the "intent of the re-introduction of the 'no politics' rule" though. The humanity!

16-Feb-2021 06:56:41

Quick find code: 278-279-328-66203612 Back to Top