Forums

Define "politics" Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-328-66203612

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Joel said :
If it's directly political or something that has been politicized then best not to post it.
You haven't defined "politics" beyond "governments, political leaders, upcoming elections and political movements".

What do you mean when you say "politicized"?

What makes something "politicized"?

You won't define the words, but keep repeating them to me.

How am I supposed to know what you mean, when you won't tell me what the words you're using mean? lol

When you're saying "politicized", are you referring to policies or regulations? Or something that has been referenced by a politician? What makes something political or politicized?

That's what I'm asking here. And you just keep repeating the words back to me, expecting that I know what you're thinking when you say it.

Joel said :
I'm not sure if you've got a particular thread subject in mind to post and if you do I obviously don't know what it would be about so couldn't comment as to whether or not the team would deem it suitable or not.
Right, which is why I'm asking for some clarity.

Joel said :
I'm not going to post an exhaustive list of all the do's and dont's in the same way the Code of Conduct doesn't list out all subjects that are deemed appropriate, or not appropriate.
I'm not asking for that. I'm just asking what definition of "politics" or criteria is being used to determine if a thread is "political".

I've listed several definitions (beyond "government, etc.) but you didn't even reference them at all.

And I'm not exactly sure what "politicized" actually means. The definition is just "made political in character". But what does that actually mean?

If peanut butter were politicized, what that actually mean?

How do I know if something has been politicized?

What does it mean?
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

16-Feb-2021 07:07:39

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NexOrigin said :
Just so we all know, what definition of "politics" is the moderation team following?

Obviously, political figures are considered "politics", but, beyond that, what definition are we going with? What types of discussions fall under the "politics" rule being enforced
Talking about 'politics' I can picture myself "a highly skilled belly dancer with a university education of some kind truly skilled in twisted conversations".

Politics/politicians ... when looking at RuneScape I'll stick with "a player (highly skilled belly dancer with a university education of some kind) truly skilled in twisted conversations" hoping to mock Jagex & The RuneScape Community and spoil the crap out of any conversation going on.

What types of discussions fall under the "politics" rule being enforced?

Any person/discussion/conversation related to real world politics/politicians/persons who do not have a RuneScape Account of any kind and aren't in the HiScores List should fall under this rule.

16-Feb-2021 10:32:40 - Last edited on 16-Feb-2021 10:44:12 by 2_Tron

2_Tron

2_Tron

Joel said :
I'm sure the initial intent of the re-introduction of the 'no politics' last summer rule was more to curb obvious discussions surrounding governments, political leaders, upcoming elections and political movements given the conflicts and environment it was creating on the forums.

However, that's not to say its limited to just the above as there could be a number of different topics and discussions that could lead to the same sort of conflict and environment Jagex wishes to avoid on the forums.

Is there a reason you're asking this? And now? Given that this rule has been back in place since last summer, so it's hardly a new rule change.
I will help you guys ...

Friendship <- here's the thread

16-Feb-2021 10:38:37

2_Tron

2_Tron

Corder said :
We won't know as moderation policies are confidential.

Millions of things are linked to politics, some trivial some harsh. We just have to apply common sense.
Forum offence system
If you had applied 'common sense' then you would have concluded that we are here on a 'private forum' apart from the real-world where strictly seen, there are a different set of rules that do apply here than outside of this world.

That millions of things are linked to politics is a made up argument to fill your posts as there aren't such a number of links to be found throughout The RSOF, hardly any.

16-Feb-2021 12:56:05 - Last edited on 16-Feb-2021 12:57:22 by 2_Tron

Maynne

Maynne

Forum Moderator Posts: 52,416 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have no opposition towards political talks in Off Topic section, in fact I participated in some heated discussions there for many years. I cleared some isolated issues involving politically-energized threads, but no earth-shattering cases. The sky has not fallen.

But the bottom line is: Jagex made a decision to ban politics. This forum is owned and regulated by Jagex, it's not even debatable because the order came from the top.

16-Feb-2021 13:44:49

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Maynne said :
But the bottom line is: Jagex made a decision to ban politics. This forum is owned and regulated by Jagex, it's not even debatable because the order came from the top.
I'm just asking what definition of "politics" is used on the forums, and what "politicized" means. I'm not debating the rule. I just want some clarity about the rule.

Can you explain what "politicized" means? Or what definition (beyond "governments, political leaders, upcoming elections and political movements") is being used?
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

16-Feb-2021 13:58:04 - Last edited on 16-Feb-2021 13:58:20 by NexOrigin

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,973 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nex, like I've already told you, I'm not going to post an exhaustive list of the do's and dont's. The Code of Conduct also doesn't give you a dictionary / text-book definition of what Jagex deems appropriate and inappropriate either.

I still don't know what the potential thread you have in mind would be about so still cannot comment on if it would be deemed suitable or not.

We had an extensive Code of Conduct once upon a time (as you know), long-winded and treated the community more like children (arguably a lot of the forum community was younger back then) but that has changed over time to a more favourable relaxed environment where the hope was always that the community can use a little more common sense & maturity about what may or may not be appropriate for the forums & the forums today are without doubt way more relaxed than a decade ago.

In the context of politics specifically, even when allowed, it was subject to stricter moderation based on the discretion of the moderating team which is still the case for religion within Off Topic.

So outside of the obvious, it depends entirely on what it is you're posting about, how connected it is to obvious politics, how relevant it is today with regards to politics (e.g discussion on Covid can quite easily become a discussion about politics, police can be another example, thinking of a thread a month or two ago).

If you're after a definitive list of the do's and donts', I'm sorry to disappoint but that isn't going to be provided, in the same way there's no definitive list of what Jagex deems appropriate and inappropriate, but instead provide a broad explanation of the types of things that would be appropriate and inappropriate.

Ultimately, if there is ever a thread that walks the line or is debatable, the team will often discuss and/or escalate to Jagex if necessary. The team has always been permitted to exercise judgement in less clear cut instances, that also isn't new.
Joel

Need support? Support Centre | Forum Help

16-Feb-2021 14:17:03 - Last edited on 16-Feb-2021 14:19:34 by Joel

Maynne

Maynne

Forum Moderator Posts: 52,416 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NexOrigin said :
Maynne said :
I'm just asking what definition of "politics" is used on the forums, and what "politicized" means. I'm not debating the rule. I just want some clarity about the rule.

Can you explain what "politicized" means? Or what definition (beyond "governments, political leaders, upcoming elections and political movements") is being used?

Nexus, you know very well that I cannot answer your question - come on. No fmod can answer your question with a definitive enumeration of do's and don'ts.

Bottom line is Jagex made a decision, and that decision sticks whether we like it or not. This space is a Jagex property.

16-Feb-2021 14:20:54

2_Tron

2_Tron

What the fuck is this moderation of today a 'cheap charade' and 'gallon nostrum' applied to these forums.

In '
Off Topic
' any political conversation is prohibited but yet here we witness that "OUTSIDE" '
Off Topic
' anything is/can be allowed if it is politics or politicians.

What a bunch of cheap frauds you are.

16-Feb-2021 14:33:13 - Last edited on 16-Feb-2021 14:33:42 by 2_Tron

2_Tron

2_Tron

NexOrigin said :
Just so we all know, what definition of "politics" is the moderation team following?

Obviously, political figures are considered "politics", but, beyond that, what definition are we going with? What types of discussions fall under the "politics" rule being enforced?
Your question is a well thought & balanced valid question easy to be answered as we are here on a 'gaming forum' The RSOF concerning a 'gaming platform' RuneScape.
So the answers would be quite simple to answer, ... the definition of politics should be put aside as it doesn't belong here at all ... .
Politics should be prohibited in the entire RSOF as it is not necessary at all.

16-Feb-2021 14:41:57

Quick find code: 278-279-328-66203612 Back to Top