Forums

Bring Back Hot Topics

Quick find code: 278-279-227-65152666

Motley Crue
Aug Member 2022

Motley Crue

Posts: 17,629 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I would love to see them return. For those who don't know, they were the little patch at the bottom of the homepage that had a list of thread spotlights for the month where you could view them/post on them, and there was also an option to visit the forums.

Earlier than that, Hot Topics were stickied for a month, in addition to being displayed on the "Hot Topic" spot on the home page.

I would like to see them return because for a few reasons. First and foremost, it should help increase forum activity slightly. For players who don't really visit the forums often other than maybe to browse news, this could help show them great threads. As I recall some great guides, as well as some great community focused threads have been spotlighted in the past, and it would be great to see that return. On the note of the community, it would be a great way to increase Jmod interaction with the community.

Who's with me?
Mötley Crüe

14-Sep-2013 01:14:11

Iceberg
Sep Member 2008

Iceberg

Posts: 20,587 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I always found that the Hot Topics just finished the front page off in the right way. It allowed people who hadn't visited the forums before to see some really good topics of interest.

I don't support having it how it was not long before the website change, where only recent updates were being advertised, but I do, of course, support various threads around the forums being show-cased. I feel it would give us re-assurance that Jagex still reads guide/good threads, rather than just suggestions and recent updates.

You've probably already read this somewhere else, Ice, but when it comes to placement of the Hot Topics I'd prefer it to take the place of the quick polls. It seems there just isn't room though for it without removing something.
… .
_|¯¯¯|_

… …
( '
v
' )
.……
I
C
E
B
E
R
G

>--
(
:
)
--<

14-Sep-2013 10:07:23

Sookie Lala

Sookie Lala

Posts: 49,349 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
They could place them where the game updates are. They are identical to the news posts so don't really need to be there.

I would like to see hot topics again but player made threads not jmod ones.
:)
:) :) :) :)

14-Sep-2013 10:22:49

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sookie Lala said :
They could place them where the game updates are. They are identical to the news posts so don't really need to be there.

Yes, I like this. And plus, to see a list of previous game updates, you can hover over the Categories drop down menu on the news scroll and click Game Updates anyway.

JMod hot topics and player hot topics would be great. More player-made hot topics may be nice... Depends on what topics are active at the time of highlighting threads as hot, but yeah generally I'd like to see more player topics highlighted as hot and then a few important JMod ones. Why? To showcase some of the best things within the community which may not be easily noticeable to those who are not regulars on the RSOF, or who maybe don't check certain other forums often.

How many topics were highlighted as hot before on the home page? 5 or so?

14-Sep-2013 14:08:26

Motley Crue
Aug Member 2022

Motley Crue

Posts: 17,629 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Iceberg said :
I always found that the Hot Topics just finished the front page off in the right way. It allowed people who hadn't visited the forums before to see some really good topics of interest.

I don't support having it how it was not long before the website change, where only recent updates were being advertised, but I do, of course, support various threads around the forums being show-cased. I feel it would give us re-assurance that Jagex still reads guide/good threads, rather than just suggestions and recent updates.

You've probably already read this somewhere else, Ice, but when it comes to placement of the Hot Topics I'd prefer it to take the place of the quick polls. It seems there just isn't room though for it without removing something.

I think I do recall that being brought up on the thread you're referring to. I do agree that the latest poll was more or less, put up for the sake of having one.

Original message details are unavailable.

I agree with this for the most part. Reason being the Jmod threads they spotlighted often were already referenced in news posts, so players could read them after reading the news. Often the threads were just a copy of the news posts so it was rather pointless to have them as a thread spotlight. However I would support Jmod threads being hot topics if they were not mentioned in news posts. If they would spotlight 1 or two that were in community home recently made, and they were not a news announcement already on the homepage, that would be fine. But that would be the extent of my support on that. I'm more for player threads being spotlighted, it would be refreshing in the sense to know as Iceynut mentioned, that our guides and good threads are being read.
Mötley Crüe

14-Sep-2013 15:30:23

Loggy

Loggy

Posts: 11,505 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My past experience with the hot topics was that they were usually official stuff mentioned on the newspage rather actual suggestion/discussion threads, as has been said above.

If they're going to point to player-created threads rather than those, then I'd like to see them return. Otherwise, I don't really see the point.

14-Sep-2013 16:59:03

Quick find code: 278-279-227-65152666 Back to Top