Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Erehk

Erehk

Posts: 15,453 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Hiya Erehk :)

If you're not logged in RS Linkify doesn't know who are.

This is where RS Linkify gets your name from...
http://i.imgur.com/cilhb0z.png

That name is checked against posts, author text, last post text and quotes, if there is a match then any settings will be applied. But if there is no name then there will never be a match.

I did originally try saving the display name so it can be used when not logged in. But that doesn't work if a user changes their display name (name changes are my biggest curse) and uses the forums without logging in.

Just like with the forums there are less features when you are not logged in.

Ah okay, yeah that does make sense. :)
@RS_Erehk

17-Mar-2016 02:11:17

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ It was a good question, glad you asked because it's something others may not know.

I found it (and still do) hard to get things working for when either logged in or not. Quite possible there a little things I have missed so it's good for me to have this stuff questioned :)

17-Mar-2016 02:34:09

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Question: Why are twitter links centered? Did you have, at one time, plans to use the twitter api to fetch the content of the tweets?

Asking without much knowledge of the twitter api. No idea if you need to be authenticated or other special permissions to fetch tweets.
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

17-Mar-2016 14:58:50

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya AoDude :)

I use twitter widgets because anything else is there is overkill for me.

See here: https://dev.twitter.com/web/javascript

I don't want to go down the OAuth path either.

I don't think RS Linkify needs the capability to make twitter API requests on its own behalf and tbh I don't think that's something many people would want. All I want RS Linkify to do is embed content, not have the capability to interact with it.

As for the tweets being centred, not sure why I did that, symmetry perhaps or to make it easier to differentiate screenshots of tweets from actual tweets. Tbh I can't remember my reason for doing it :)

Edit:

I must also add I'm a twitter noob, and I don't even know what most of the features are or how they work. I don't even understand hashtags, trends, lists, and so on. So for those reasons alone I don't think you'd want my app to have the ability go nuts on your twitter.

Edit 2:

After re-reading your post I have to ask are tweets not embedded for you? They should appear like this...

http://i.imgur.com/FQRTf3H.png

17-Mar-2016 20:51:26 - Last edited on 17-Mar-2016 21:38:10 by Indecent Act

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Edit 2, nope, that is what I thought you might have intended though! Do I have a setting screwed up somewhere maybe?

http://puu.sh/nKivi/32ed1be8c2.jpg

Edit: Ghostry was blocking the widget, oh my what wonders I have been missing out on!

Edit 2: It's ok, you can facepalm me :P Have some ­coffee
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

17-Mar-2016 22:19:39 - Last edited on 17-Mar-2016 22:29:36 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Ah, that was going to my next question, is something blocking twitter's widget api?

Well it's good thing you asked, easy to remedy :)

It's fortunate I add the link under the tweet else you'd have seen nothing at all. The link below was only there for my own testing purposes and I forgot to remove it. However a few people said they like it, so it has remained. Your case is another good reason to have it there. I never anticipated or even considered what would happen if the widget was blocked.

17-Mar-2016 22:45:59

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top