Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
Ultimately though the current skeleton we are using on the rs3 pages does not lend itself to responsive behaviour and as such you may find it quite a tricky process
-facepalm- you don't say! I know next to nothing about this stuff and even I know that. The way these forums are layered on... there's no interaction or responsiveness. I forum other gameforums and they seem much more fluid than these forums.
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

07-Feb-2016 07:27:36

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah I think Mod Allstar said not too long ago that he wishes he made the re-skin responsive.

See this RS page for two reasons: https://www.rschronicle.com/forum/posts/list/1965.page

- the forum is responsive.
- they can post links.

The links is not an isolated case, there are posts with links above and below a jmod post on another thread so that tells me links aren't an issue. There are other examples as well, just browsing the forums you'll see links to puush, imgur, youtube, twitter and such.

For me it raises some questions.

07-Feb-2016 08:17:44 - Last edited on 07-Feb-2016 08:44:59 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

So the way I understand it is that OP in that thread wanted to implement things that would cause all sorts of issues with Jagex's servers, terms of service agreements, and their "attack watch" systems, etc.

OP had some great ideas, it just seemed a little impossible from the get-go or too good to be true.

07-Feb-2016 08:52:45

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

What the OP wants to do (something that many people have asked for) actually touches on my next update. So the timing was rather good as it's quite relevant to me right now.

Basically they want load pages and check for changes. The frequency that they wanted to check is a potential issue imo. Automated hits on Jagex's websites are frowned upon. However they do give some leeway.

For example RS Linkify checks the list of known fmods once every 7 days and updates it if necessary (this is mostly used for green fmod author and last post text). This is nothing and Jagex seem to take no issue with it. It's clear I'm being mindful of their servers and bandwidth.

The OP originally wanted to hit every minute to check for new posts. Multiply that by every thread a user has posted on multiplied by every user of the app. In any given day OP's app could generate 100's or even 1000's times more automated traffic than a regular forum users would do in a week. If someone did that to my site I wouldn't be happy.

We don't need to increase the workload of forums.

The ideas are good, but this stuff is best handled by the server not the client. I get so many great suggestions and when I say no it's usually not because I can't, it's because it puts excessive (imo) load on the forums or browser.

As you know I'm testing a watch list. Watching four threads max for new posts, and checked at no less than 30 min intervals and only while your are on the forums, not 24/7. If anything it should reduce page hits because you wont need to refresh/check a thread.

Not sure I fully explained it well, but Op's app may act as 100's of forum users from a single user. That's a concern as is the handling usernames and passwords. Would you give linkify your username and password so you can use it? I'd never do that, but it's a valid question.

Yes OP's ideas are good, now they need to find a way to do it without getting Jagex off side. That's the challenge, and it can be done.

07-Feb-2016 09:18:54 - Last edited on 07-Feb-2016 12:13:08 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Indecent Act said :
Not sure I fully explained it well, but Op's app may act as 100's of forum users from a single user.
Yes, you explained this point very well, even I can understand it :) OP creates something like a DDoS attack in that case. Every forum user acts like 100's because of the constant hit on servers every 1 minute.
Indecent Act said :
Would you give linkify your username and password so you can use it?
Yes but I trust you and Linkify more than I do Google itself tbh, I'm not very trustful of google though >.> Your Linkify is one of the few apps/extensions I would be ok with doing that. Assuming it's only being kept by local files on my phone for example like OP had wanted, yes.

Going forward, you can always remember that things you offer don't have to be used by everyone. You could keep it toggled off and interested users can toggle something on if they're willing and interested.

Also, thanks for the interesting read :)

07-Feb-2016 20:48:47 - Last edited on 07-Feb-2016 21:24:40 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Here you go Synchro Summ :)

http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10766.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Body btw said :
Also, thanks for the interesting read :)

You're welcome. Tbh one hit a minute is nothing. But when automated hits are well in excess of non automated hits, I think it's time to re-evaluate some things.

Some things are designed to be hit (public APIs). For example the lite hiscores was made to stop automated hits scraping the hiscores pages. There are no public apis for the forums (that I'm I'm aware of) so that makes it hard for developers. I guess there is also little demand for them too.

To be realistic it's not a problem if one person does it, it can quickly become a problem if many people do it. Keeping Jagex on side (or at least not drawing attention to yourself) is so easy. They are really quite fair in that way. There is no reason to rock the boat.

08-Feb-2016 00:24:52

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top