Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Indy. I wasn't going to complain about this but since someone else also posted. My Linkify randomly stopped working also. But that's like the 5th time this has happened really recently. Nothing on my end has changed, it just sort of randomly does it...

I will do the old uninstall and reinstall trick
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

06-Aug-2015 22:21:09

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Maybe updating to Windows10 could cause a problem somewhere, if you have done? Idk :(

Indecent Act said :
* waves back * :)

Hmmm, waves of Lust followed by waves of indecency. That can't be a bad thing!
Lol :p

You seem well judging by the latest posts, good to know :) hope it stays as such <3
Selective Completionist

07-Aug-2015 00:05:35

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Body btw said :
I will do the old uninstall and reinstall trick

Hiya lbody :)

I hope that helps but it's not an ideal solution as it doesn't track down the cause. But it does tell me something if it works under certain conditions, see below.

I can't rule out things like, "hey when I enable a linkify setting this or that breaks or doesn't work." I've been there and done that (can't deny I make mistakes). But that doesn't seem to apply in this case.

Thing is linkify hasn't changed for some time, and the files you download to re-install will be the same ones you used previously. If they work now and don't work later (same version of course) then something has changed and that something isn't linkify.

Linkify cant modify anything not even itself. Something, somewhere must be different.

It can be anything, for example: I even had a user with an issue where their ISP was compressing all scripts so badly that they were breaking. I doubt that's the case here, but it's just to show how crazy it gets.

I'm glad you told me and if this was reported right after an update I'd suspect that I need to change something asap. Of course I'll look into it some more, but being unable to reproduce this makes it hard.

Amaethwr said :
Maybe updating to Windows10 could cause a problem somewhere, if you have done? Idk :(

Hiya Amaethwr :)

I wondered that too. I can download windows 10 right now but I wont get around to doing it for another week or so. I'm on 4g with limited data allowance so I need to wait for the start of my next billing period so I don't get throttled back :/

It will be a little while before I test linkify with windows 10. Though tbh I don't expect there to be any issues. Never know though!

07-Aug-2015 02:07:03 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2015 02:08:19 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Hello *<3 :)

I am super lazy so I haven't done anything yet since I posted.. but I promise I will report back here when I have... but to at least add something to the conversation:

I still have windows 8, the only thing I can think of that's changed is my Ad Blocker BUT.. I haven't touched that either in like 6 months or longer. I haven't added anything to the accepted or exlcuded list, etc etc.

I really haven't altered anything on my computer since this has started (no viruses that I know of either). But, perhaps Ad Block changed something without my knowing? That's all I can think of.
Ad block and Linkify are my only Google Extensions

EDIT: Ok. Here's a thought. The only other thing I can possibly think of that I do differently is actively participate in other game forums. Particularly, www.bravefrontierforum.net

I don't know anything about code or whatever, but maybe Linkify is turning itself off because of some way that forum works or something. I have no idea.

- I also use the same Google Chrome tab(s)/window for like weeks on end (I never turn my computer off or restart)

07-Aug-2015 02:23:29 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2015 02:28:04 by Body btw

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
I can download windows 10 right now but I wont get around to doing it for another week or so. I'm on 4g with limited data allowance so I need to wait for the start of my next billing period so I don't get throttled back :/
Similar enough here, I could buy more data but it's cheaper for me to wait a bit, also waiting for bugs/etc to be dealt with in Windows10 first in case any of them would soon get on my nerves

+ Seems weird, lbody :| since you never switch off, could it have something to do with memory..? Like, your pc is getting tired :p
Selective Completionist

07-Aug-2015 03:50:03

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Important thing to remember is just because something is playing up, doesn't mean you're doing something wrong.

I can't say with 100% certainty it's not something on my end that's causing an issue. In reality most of my updates are tweaks, fixes to accommodate changes in the forum code, and my own bug fixes. My last update was to re-align linkify buttons because of a minor change in forums. I don't announce these things if I catch them before anyone notices (reports it) because it's trivial. There is always something going on, different OS, browser updates, forum changes, network/internet changes, and so on.

What I'm saying is if the cause isn't immediately obvious and isn't wide spread among users, it becomes really hard to track down. If the solution is easier (re-install) than determining the problem, assuming changing your linkify settings doesn't trigger it, then there isn't much that can be done from either end. Unless I can reproduce it or I get an influx of bug reports from different users.

Computers can be punishing at the best of times. Until we know more, that's what I put it down to. Might sound a little blasé, but saves tearing out your hair :)

07-Aug-2015 04:43:03 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2015 04:44:15 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Yea, and your response is appreciated. Thank you! :) I'm not getting too frustrated about it because I'm not really on these forums much anymore. I haven't tried uninstall/reinstalling yet, which could fix the entire problem permanently. I just wanted to put a mention of it in, since someone else did and I didn't want to leave them alone in the problem.

I'll report back good or bad news when I get around to it. ^_^ If other's start posting issues, I'll get on it immediately though.

07-Aug-2015 04:49:05

Body btw

Body btw

I finally got around to it. :D

So I had to go into settings (without right clicking on the forums like normal when Linkify is ON) and turn Linkify back on .. it turned itself off.

1 hour later, it turned itself off again randomly. Got mad, deleted it and reinstalled it. Hoping reinstalling it fixes the problem :)

Hopefully too many others aren't experiencing this, but it looks like at least one other person is (and me). Anyways, this could just be a false alarm. Uninstalling/Reinstalling it could permanently fix this little issue... I'll let you know if it doesn't then just cry myself to sleep.

08-Aug-2015 06:07:22 - Last edited on 08-Aug-2015 06:07:52 by Body btw

Epir

Epir

Posts: 17,120 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Body btw said :
I finally got around to it. :D

So I had to go into settings (without right clicking on the forums like normal when Linkify is ON) and turn Linkify back on .. it turned itself off.

1 hour later, it turned itself off again randomly. Got mad, deleted it and reinstalled it. Hoping reinstalling it fixes the problem :)

Hopefully too many others aren't experiencing this, but it looks like at least one other person is (and me). Anyways, this could just be a false alarm. Uninstalling/Reinstalling it could permanently fix this little issue... I'll let you know if it doesn't then just cry myself to sleep.

Yeah mine randomly stops working sometimes, just happened again, I fix it by unticking the "Enabled" box in the chrome extensions page and ticking it again
People die when they are killed

@_Epir_

08-Aug-2015 19:34:20

Body btw

Body btw

Hasn't turned itself off since I uninstalled and reinstalled, but only time will tell. Perhaps this could fix the issue for you also?

10-Aug-2015 03:01:50

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top