Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Nelson
Dec Member 2023

Nelson

Posts: 1,977 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello, first time posting here.

There's a little bug I've encountered a few times but I think I finally figured it out. Not sure if it's already been brought to your attention and i'm not really good with the technical jargon, sorry if I butcher anything.

--

When you're not signed on to the forums and you click a clan link under someone's name it leads to an error page. Idk if this is just an issue on my end? I remember the clan links wouldn't show up unless you were signed on, so this may be a new thing.

Right now if I click your clan link, this is where i'd end up

http://services.runescape.com/m=clan-home/c=alvpWNd0iYk/clan/Coffee%20Connoisseurs

however if i'm signed off and I were to then click it, it would link me to this page

http://services.runescape.com/m=clan-home//clan/Coffee%20Connoisseurs

I assume "c=alvpWNd0iYk" is my session ID thing? Since i'm not signed on to the forums I don't have an ID, but the link to the clan page is counting on me to have one? That's what I gather and what I guess the problem is. Like I said, pretty sure you couldn't see the clan page links a while back unless you were signed on, so I'm guessing this is a relatively new thing. Assuming it isn't just on my end as I only really tested this in the last two minutes or so on Chrome. great bug report i know.

--

Thanks for this app/extension thing. I've been using it for a long time now and it makes the forums so much better. Was a rough couple of days when the forums got reworked and everything was messy. I've wanted to come and say thanks for a while but I never had anything to contribute so I hope this is useful somehow.

Thanks.

23-May-2015 05:40:02

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hiya Nelson,

Thanks for the detailed post. I can see what the problem is, thanks to the links you posted.

I have had a few small problems when not signed in and it seems this one slipped by me. I'll get to work on this right now and it should be resolved in my next update.

Thank you for your kind words and again for your helpful bug report :)

Edit:

Version 3.1.8.34 is now live and the clan links should now work correctly when not signed in. You can manually update ( ­­see here ) or just wait for chrome to update in its own time.

Thanks again Nelson :)

23-May-2015 10:57:57 - Last edited on 23-May-2015 11:31:38 by Indecent Act

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't know what happened with the forums, but I think 2 weeks ago... someone messed up the background textures and now they're EXTREMELY low resolution. Like a 99% compressed jpg.

See? http://puu.sh/hZmUb.png

I don't know if it's intentional by Jagex, but if it was it's pathetic. The previous relatively good res background wasn't doing any harm. Then again, their web team is extremely incompetent, so whatever.

25-May-2015 02:19:26

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Nicely spotted Morgypie!

I hadn't noticed that. I need to have a look and see if I have any copies of the original textures. I Know I have some but I'm not sure if I have those particular ones.

Strange it was changed, sure smaller file size is better for images but if these pages become slow it's not because of the textures.

Here's a before and after. Unfortunately I don't have copies of all the original textures. This is one I use in my options page.

http://i.imgur.com/XfnmSOF.png

25-May-2015 03:54:19

Fatrekd

Fatrekd

Posts: 13,243 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey. I knew it could find you here, so I am just posting this to get your attention.

Hey Indy.

I just wanted to say that this thread was in part a joke. I understand your premise but, I just wanted to see if opinions have differed since the last time this discussion has risen. Seems as if no one cares, or they feel differently. I did not want to portray myself as knowing all, just wanted to see if this systematic view has differed at all. I hope you are not insulted by my comments.

Also, thanks for the support on the other thread. I just wanted to let you know that the other thread in fact is bare bones basic.

Have a nice day.

- Uuo
Join the clan " Green Bandits " today! Twitch/Twitter: @il_ija

25-May-2015 20:47:12

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Nicely spotted Morgypie!

I hadn't noticed that. I need to have a look and see if I have any copies of the original textures. I Know I have some but I'm not sure if I have those particular ones.

Strange it was changed, sure smaller file size is better for images but if these pages become slow it's not because of the textures.

Here's a before and after. Unfortunately I don't have copies of all the original textures. This is one I use in my options page.

http://i.imgur.com/XfnmSOF.png
Hey Indy, yes, that's the one. I hope they fix whatever caused this because even though it's minor, it's kind of annoying and makes the website look bad.

Then again, the website already looks bad and clunky due to how archaic it is. Nowadays it's all about simplicity in design, Jagex seem to have missed that.

26-May-2015 02:55:00 - Last edited on 26-May-2015 02:57:58 by Morgan

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Uuo,

I appreciate your post and it's important for me that you know how I feel about this...
Fatrekd said :
I hope you are not insulted by my comments.

That's not the case at all, and even if you did somehow manage to insult me, I wouldn't let it be an issue :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya Morgpie :)

I have since noticed the textures in the menus have gone down in quality. Seems almost the background textures are highly compressed. Actually I haven't looked at the file size so that's just an assumption.

I saw some posts in this thread about it. Nexus0rigin's posts are worth a read. He seems to have a good handle on what's going on and also mentions simple way to get the originals back.

That's something I might get linkify to take care of. Before I do anything I'm going to watch it for it while in case more changes follow.

26-May-2015 05:08:01 - Last edited on 26-May-2015 14:47:49 by Indecent Act

Froud
Aug Member 2010

Froud

Posts: 17,915 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indy, I have a question.

Would it be redundant to include the "bump" and "search posts by username" at the bottom, so that it mirrors the top?

Something like this, for example:

http://i.imgur.com/AM36Fr3.png

[THREAD STUFF GOES HERE]

http://i.imgur.com/TcjNKb8.png

Just... ignore the "reply" button. Or, maybe include it. I don't know. @.@

Also, I am not too sure if it's been mentioned, but the image compression issues appear to be in both the "my profile" icon slot and part of the "search threads/QFC" bar, too. I know Morgan mentioned it as a whole.

Thanks. :D

27-May-2015 03:24:52 - Last edited on 27-May-2015 03:34:46 by Froud

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top