Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The hard cap on signatures is 300, but the system is meant for you to only use 200. If you make your signature larger than three lines, the fourth and following lines just won't be visible. On mobile devices you won't see anything past the second line in a signature.

If you attempt to save a signature with 301 or more characters it will not keep save it.

23-Mar-2015 15:03:10

Charles
Dec Member 2023

Charles

Posts: 9,155 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indy!

Sorry to pester you while you're probably hard at work with Linkify as it is, but I wanted to bring something minor up if it already hasn't.

When previewing a post, images do not display- only the link.

Nothing big or to rush over, just wanted to bring it to your attention :) Thanks for all your amazing work as always, and to everyone else part of the crew!

23-Mar-2015 16:16:52

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've noticed that if I try to view an image within a spoiler tag (Jagex one), I am unable to click on the "Show spoiler" button to load the image. This issue is only present when the image is within the Jagex spoiler tag. A question mark icon appears around my cursor when I try to click on the image.

I have my settings set to embed 0 images as I prefer it that way.

I've tested and re-enabled image embedding (chose 2 for my test) and the image displayed within the spoiler tag automatically. So this glitch is present for those that disable image embedding altogether.

23-Mar-2015 21:07:01

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Charles said :
Indy!

Sorry to pester you while you're probably hard at work with Linkify as it is, but I wanted to bring something minor up if it already hasn't.

When previewing a post, images do not display- only the link.

Nothing big or to rush over, just wanted to bring it to your attention :) Thanks for all your amazing work as always, and to everyone else part of the crew!

Hiya Charles :)

Please never feel you are pestering me.

Yep, I'll be adding the embed/linkify features to preview eventually. It was not included because I wanted to get something out that helped viewing forums asap.

I'm sure you can appreciate that there is a trade-off, update asap with minimal features or have nothing for days. I went without sleep (that's not good for people that work with me) getting that one update out plus had to work (I'm getting too old for all nighters). If didn't publish that when I did, and continued working on it, the delay could have been days with not much more features.

Also there is an upside with this, the feedback/bug reports have helped so much. This is really good when RS Linkify is localised to a specific section. I have less to fix and I break less too. Also normally I test and run things for days before adding content, I don't have that luxury right now, so less is probably better.

Just know I do appreciate all posts on the subject, as I do miss things and forget things, and need to reminded about stuff too.

All reports and feedback have been essential in getting things right. I expect there will be other updates like this, that may take some time to extend throughout other areas of the forums. But with the help/feedback and support I've been getting, I think things will come together nicely :)

24-Mar-2015 05:30:47 - Last edited on 24-Mar-2015 06:27:47 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Singularity said :
I've noticed that if I try to view an image within a spoiler tag (Jagex one), I am unable to click on the "Show spoiler" button to load the image. This issue is only present when the image is within the Jagex spoiler tag. A question mark icon appears around my cursor when I try to click on the image.

I have my settings set to embed 0 images as I prefer it that way.

I've tested and re-enabled image embedding (chose 2 for my test) and the image displayed within the spoiler tag automatically. So this glitch is present for those that disable image embedding altogether.

RS Linkify works that way on purpose, for many reasons.

The BB spoiler needs to know the image size to draw the dark box over it. You can't know the image size without loading it. It cant work without an image.

This why the RS Linkify spoiler is still here, as it's designed for images. Where the BB spoiler is not. The fact it works at all is by luck more than by design.

I haven't looked that closely at the BB spoiler, I will look at it when I get the chance. Even if I were to detect an image link in it, it still wont solve embedding quota issues, because plain text links and html tags are not collected sequentially, counting both at different times will mess up the quota some where.

Also detecting different nodes doubles the operations in looking for embedding content. That's RS Linkify's heaviest resource. Doubling that is not good for anyone.

I'm reluctant in saying I can change it without paying a high price. But I really don't know for certain.

Linkify users should use the image spoiler for images. There is no point in non linkify users (or linkify users) posting image links in the BB spoiler.

What I can do is attach the light box to it, but embed/preload quota wont apply.

Sorry I can't give a definite answer, but I will look deeper into it :)

24-Mar-2015 06:00:40 - Last edited on 24-Mar-2015 06:33:05 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

^Continued....

I have looked into it a little more.

A possible solution would be a new option in settings.

Convert all image spoilers to RS Linkify spoilers.

That would mean all quotas embedding/pre-loading would be honoured, and it wont matter what people do with the BB spoiler.

If that's sounds okay, then I'm more than happy to do that :)

24-Mar-2015 06:21:44

J3
Jun Member 2017

J3

Posts: 3,560 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ that sounds wonderful, considering current image spoilers also take up so much space in a post whilst you'd imagine people putting them in spoiler tags to avoid such a thing!
@J3sven

24-Mar-2015 08:18:36

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What's odd is that with a recent update to Linkify the snippit that added ".spoiler-contents--show" when clicking on ".spoiler-contents" no longer happens so it will never perform like intended.

forums-0.js
spoilerTags: function(){
$('.spoiler-contents').on('click',function(){
$(this).toggleClass('spoiler-contents--show');
});
}

Edit: Good news about Show in Thread.
https://twitter.com/jagexallstar/status/580322198109470720

24-Mar-2015 08:49:07 - Last edited on 24-Mar-2015 11:35:39 by Ryan M

J3
Jun Member 2017

J3

Posts: 3,560 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's pretty amazing what a couple of link color changes can do...

http://puu.sh/gNxUh/356b59879a.jpg

I might inject some more of my own css when I decide something needs changing c:

edit: decided to steal Keighlea's suggestion of seperating the membership badges from the avatars

http://puu.sh/gNy94/5200a296fe.jpg
@J3sven

24-Mar-2015 11:47:14 - Last edited on 24-Mar-2015 11:52:49 by J3

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Ryan M, Nicely spotted with the toggle. I didn't even know that existed. Also good news about the show in thread :)

I got the click toggle back, but I haven't updated yet. I'm having a night without linkify. Been a long day today and I've missed out on too much sleep lately. If I start fiddling around, time will just get away. I'm sure you know how that is :)

Colours look good J3 :)

Not sure what I'm going to about the avatar badges, or if I'll do anything at all. I still need to deal with avatars. That putting a square in a round hole issue.

Anyway I need to get that spoiler sorted first.

24-Mar-2015 13:24:36

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top