Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indy -hugs- is it possible to center a spoiler? I tried and it doesn't work. If not, is that something hard to implement?
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

13-Jan-2015 07:48:16

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't know of a standardised measurement of Linkify Power.

And even there was one, Never underpowered is not representative of a definitive measure of Power. If anything it suggests nothing more than a minimum value that it never falls below. The maximum value is not inferred.

Over powered is in a similar boat.

In theory both can be overpowered and at the same time both can not be under powered.

I call this phenomenon Schrodinger's Linkify Overpower Paradox or S.L.O.P.

Using SLOP's Law we can explain ...

The true power can't be determined until it's taken out of the box, but when it's measured, the quantum state changes, making comparisons impossible since observations change the outcome.

Therefore simultaneously, both are never underpowered and both have the potential to be overpowered at the same time.

Hope this helps :)

13-Jan-2015 08:57:47 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2015 09:14:52 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Body btw said :
Indy -hugs- is it possible to center a spoiler? I tried and it doesn't work. If not, is that something hard to implement?

If you mean the image and not the button then that may be possible. I'll need to check a few things before I can be sure though.

If you mean the button, that would also be possible but again I need to check a few things first.

13-Jan-2015 09:11:46 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2015 09:13:53 by Indecent Act

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi Indy and Linkifiers!

So... bug report:
If I manually quote this
http://puu.sh/esHun.png

This is the result
Lauri El said :
Dont leave me

No smileys :(

By manually I mean highlighting text and clicking the "Quote" button :P

I know it's very minor, but for example... it poses a minor annoyance when wanting to quote only a small fraction of a post as shown here (the "Wow :) " said by Ama and ignore the rest):
http://puu.sh/esHDR.png

13-Jan-2015 14:46:42

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

That's the way text selection quoting has always been, it quotes plain text only. It's not a bug or an oversight, I have done this on purpose.

For example Amaethwr's blue text wont be honoured when using text selection quoting.

It's for good reason that it works this way. To quote anything other than plain text means I have to read the the underlying HTML, and then parse it as HTML. This means there are unclosed tags, for example..

He
llo

^If you were select "el" the HTML will have closing tag for yellow and an no opening tag for yellow. It will have an opening tag for blue and no closing tag. This is a basic example it gets worse with colours, bold, italics etc.

But there is a even bigger reason why I will never do it...

RS Linkify will have to inject the HTML back into the page. The HTML contains the text content, and that means un-trusted code is getting injected into the page and executed by the browser. People could just post code and when quoted it would execute. Even worse the code can be hidden (I don't think I need to explain how to hide it) and then you could even get phished within the forums without ever leaving the forums.

The security hole would be massive and the implications potentially disastrous.

This is also the reason why I don't re-render jmod quotes with that HTML that gets quoted. It would have the same effect and anyone could slip in a script into that mess that no one would notice. Not to mention their unclosed tags and I recall a script that broke some forum features.

My policy is never ever inject un-trusted code . The text in posts is un-trusted and is a part of the HTML content, thus it must be treated as potentially dangerous. I want to ensure it remains as plain text and is not executed.

The text selection is just that, text selection and nothing more. It has limitations but that's all by design. :)

Edit: many typos, and sorry for the long reply.

13-Jan-2015 15:17:40 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2015 16:40:55 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top