Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Posting this in anticipation of a question.

Original message details are unavailable.
Blueskyrobotthing + why is my avatar not showing when I post but it shows when im typing

Configure settings as shown in the spoiler below, and make sure to save .

Also if you post your questions here, you'll get fast a reply. Even if I'm not online, there are a number of helpful Linkify Gurus that frequent this thread, who share a wealth of knowledge and tips :)

HTTP://puu.sh/dPOOT.png

30-Dec-2014 04:50:20 - Last edited on 30-Dec-2014 04:51:26 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Message for Rowley :)

This update is pretty small (version 3.1.7.19), it's a continuation of the page centring.

There are some things I have changed and some things I haven't done.

First of all if page centring is not enabled the topmost links.
http://puu.sh/dQfbF.jpg
Will always be on screen unless the width of those links exceeds the browser window. When resizing the browser RS Linkify will adjust their position accordingly on the fly. It may not appear to be much different than before, but it's way different and I have rewritten it and improved it quite a bit.

Now, when page centring is enabled the routine that repositions the links is no longer used, and a new routine handles the links by modifying the container that holds the links. This keeps the avatar and username in view too.

There is also a new option to centre page while resizing, it's pretty self explanatory and so far it keeps everything nicely arranged.

Now for the fun part (actually a headache). I have decided not to reposition anything based on scroll bar position. There are so many reasons why, but basically when resizing the browser and compensating for that, and then further compensating for the scroll bar, the original routine to keep links on screen gets severely messed with.

The other thing is I need to float the links and the page is in no way designed to handle that. It would require changing the structure of the page to some degree and it's really not worth it. I guess what I fear most is it breaking down the track.

Making everything work together and retaining the original feature is what I have done. So that's basically why I wont be repositioning based on the scroll bar.

Using these two options...
http://puu.sh/dQgPv.png
and resizing the browser gives a nice result I think.

Using none of the options (disabled) and resizing also is nice.

Note: After changing a setting, the page will need a refresh before the changes are applied.

I'm curious to know what you and others think :)

30-Dec-2014 09:17:45

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Will always be on screen unless the width of those links exceeds the browser window. When resizing the browser RS Linkify will adjust their position accordingly on the fly. It may not appear to be much different than before, but it's way different and I have rewritten it and improved it quite a bit.

As long as they're always on screen, that's good! That's the only reason I ever asked for them to be shuffled along. If you've improved the back end of things, too, that's even better.

Indecent Act said :
Now, when page centring is enabled the routine that repositions the links is no longer used, and a new routine handles the links by modifying the container that holds the links. This keeps the avatar and username in view too.

Awesome! I'm not sure if I use a small browser and that affects the RS website badly or not, but the fact it has no auto-centre options or anything is nothing but tedious.

Indecent Act said :
There is also a new option to centre page while resizing, it's pretty self explanatory and so far it keeps everything nicely arranged.

Sounds good; I personally don't really resize my browser at all, but I am sure it will help someone :)

Indecent Act said :
Now for the fun part (actually a headache). I have decided not to reposition anything based on scroll bar position. There are so many reasons why, but basically when resizing the browser and compensating for that, and then further compensating for the scroll bar, the original routine to keep links on screen gets severely messed with.

Fair enough, I can understand why you didn't then.

Indecent Act said :
The other thing is I need to float the links

"Float the links"?

Indecent Act said :
I'm curious to know what you and others think :)

I'll try it in a little bit. Thanks! ­<3
Unslain Bosses - Clan

30-Dec-2014 09:49:54

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Wow you're fast to reply, just awesome :)

I ran out of characters but I just wanted to give you a basic run down since we discussed this a couple of pages back.

The update isn't set in stone, but I'm mostly focused on getting this resizing stuff running smoothly but I may build on it at later date.

Oh the term floating is basically pulling the content out of the page and placing it outside of the scope of the page (out of the box model). So no other elements are affected by it.

For example, normally when something moves or changes size, the objects around it adjust. Opening and closing the spoiler lengthens and shortens the post. When spoiler is opened the post increases in height but it does not overlap the preceding post, everything gets pushed down. Or when I added clan names under our avatars, the clan name simply pushed the forum badge down a little. That's a crude explanation of the box model but that's essentially how web pages are built.

So adjusting something at the very top of the page can or most likely will influence what's under it. If I were to take the links out of the box model and float them over the top (literally overlapping the page content) I could then manipulate them without causing a snowball effect on the rest of the page. Moving, resizing etc would have no influence on any other content.

But in this case doing that means something has been removed and an avalanche  effect can happen.  Again that's because of the box model and all other preceding elements will now adjust/reposition/resize.

There is a bit more to it than just that, but basically things aren't positioned by using X and Y coordinates (though they can be) they are positioned more like stacked blocks, and when one is removed, some will tumble down to fill that space. The same goes when something is inserted, things get pushed around.

So that's why I don't want to float the links. In all honestly it's not really that hard to sort out. But I know later it's a can of worms.

30-Dec-2014 10:25:20

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top