Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Charles
Dec Member 2023

Charles

Posts: 9,155 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
Idk if this would be possible for you to do...

but how about a thumbs up/thumbs down system for each post or thread? :P

Just an idea

~
A
b
y
#
~

It has been suggested before, here was her response:

I've been asked about this before. There are a few issues. All RS Linkify users are anonymous, so I have no way of knowing if people like once or 1000 times.

But there are other issues too. It depends on what you want to like. Likes for threads and or likes for posts both have different pros and cons. All the data has to be stored somewhere, users local storage is out of question (holding every like/dislike for every thread and perhaps every post is just too much). An external server isn't practical because again I can't authenticate users. That leaves storing the data in posts. The problem then is many automated page requests to tally the data.

It's really easy to do, if you have access to the server that's hosting the pages. But I have access to browser (with huge limitations) and nothing more. Sadly it's not something I can do properly.

Join the HLF Teamspeak!

16-Sep-2013 18:27:19

Blasty
Feb Member 2017

Blasty

Posts: 9,319 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
After deciding to ditch the idea of live image chart results (for now anyway), I've begun to feel like HLF polls might be achievable without being horribly complicated. I think trying to over-complicate it might have thrown me off, so I'm starting to put the basics together with room for flexibility in case there's more to add later.

I just have one question for now.
Would it be easy to extract iframe dimensions from the url? e.g. http://www.example.com/poll/1?700

The width would fill the post with 100%, and 700px would be the height. The poll url would appear as a url to non-linkify users, and linkify users would see an iframe with those dimensions. There would have to be a limit of course, perhaps 1000px.

I will try to base the design off of jagex's front page polls, this is a prototype of the results page with only one answer:
http://i.imgur.com/LwE5ZJZ.png

I'm going to start with one-answer multiple choice and only using localstorage to detect users. I will probably add multiple-answer multiple choice and scaling answers eventually, and I might consider adding further checks to prevent multiple votes depending on how it works out.

­
<
Blasty
the Blue
>

Blasty
// @BlastytheBlue // Blasty#5167
| Co-owner of Mine Nation

16-Sep-2013 19:27:53 - Last edited on 16-Sep-2013 19:32:03 by Blasty

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was thinking about the like/dislike thing, and if this doesn't help any than you can disregard it. If it does help, then yay :)

When someone clicks the like or dislike button, would it be possible to send that to your website, but pair it with the persons name from the top right corner?

http://puu.sh/4t4BQ.jpg

Clearly the person needs to be logged in for their name to display there, and at least in the HLF you wouldn't be able to click the like/dislike without being logged in.

So it pulls a "Like" and pairs it to "Keighlea" and stores it on your site. If I try to click like again, it searches through the existing ones to see if my name already exists, and if it does, the vote is kicked out. Or if I changed my mind on my vote, maybe it could check for my name, and then my existing vote? So if it was originally Like:Keighlea, and I click dislike, it would replace the like with dislike?

Then you can just pull the likes/dislikes from your site and total them somehow?

I say all that but I have no idea how difficult it would probably be, just a thought I had that might allow you to make sure there's no.. "skewing" of results, without a complicated authentication system

~~~Zaros is the way Forward~~~
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

16-Sep-2013 21:37:17

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
­@Blasty, that sounds great and I'm glad you're still working on it. In answer to your question yes I can read the URL to get the dimensions. But it would be a nice  for me if you were to use URL parameters like this...
h
t
t
p://
w
ww.example.com/poll/1?h=700

That way there is no mistaking where the height parameter is and if you ever want to add more parameters they are easily distinguished. If that's not do-able that's cool too :)

­ Original message details are unavailable.
I was thinking about the like/dislike thing, and if this doesn't help any than you can disregard it. If it does help, then yay :)
­^
I'll get back to you on that, but just so I don't raise your hopes, not likely soz :(

That seems like a good idea to me Korey. Linkify would need to keep track of all of it's users though...

On another note, Linkify is working for me again. I'm not sure what was up with it that one day. :|
­^
Glad it working for you :)

A little late, but congratulations on getting stuck! :)

Nice to see you're actively progressing forward with the limits you've got to work with.

Taylor
­^
Thank you very much Taylor. I very much enjoyed tossing ideas around with you on my last thread :)

17-Sep-2013 04:58:23

Blasty
Feb Member 2017

Blasty

Posts: 9,319 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
­@Completion
@Faded Myths, I've actually had the custom font thing working for some time. But I haven't really done much with it because I am concerned that the forums will end up a mess. Font sizing is something I want to do, but mainly some limited options for things like headings. Basically something that offers a bit more than just bold text is what I have in mind.

­
<
Blasty
the Blue
>

Blasty
// @BlastytheBlue // Blasty#5167
| Co-owner of Mine Nation

17-Sep-2013 13:48:22

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top