Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Posts: 12,424 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indy, I think I have a fun experiment for you to do...

You know how the forums auto-log you out if you're inactive for too long. I think the autolog threshold is like 1 hour? That's just too short if I want to check out the forums between watching shows.

Now... obviously if I don't have the tab with forums open, the autolog will occur normally, but if I have a tab with forums in it open, I'm thinking Linkify should be able to disable the autolog timer just as long as I have the tab open. Meaning, I stay logged into forums indefinitely.

It's useful if you take a real long time to write a post and then suddenly as soon as you click Submit, you get logged out and lose all the work done on it (unless hit "go back" button.) It's just a convenience matter.

Now let's talk about the obvious security issues... There isn't an issue really, you need to re-enter log in details for account settings, Solomon general store, etc. Only issue is someone getting on your computer and start posting on the forums with your account, but everyone has their own laptop these days..

14-Nov-2014 19:23:49

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

If such autolog timer could not be found...

Generally, I think the most obvious, easiest, hackiest solution is to just have a timer that starts counting the moment there is no forum activity, e.g. just sitting on a forum page and not going anywhere.

The timer resets the moment a forum page is changed.

Now, when the timer reaches like 50 minutes - an automatic refresh is performed to reset the autolog timer. This can be easily done. Maybe just don't refresh it if you're currently writing a post as that might lose the contents of the post.

14-Nov-2014 19:28:44

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lifer said :
It's useful if you take a real long time to write a post and then suddenly as soon as you click Submit, you get logged out and lose all the work done on it (unless hit "go back" button.)

If you press 'submit' RSLinkify saves the post (This is true even if you don't get automatically logged out), and if you right click the quick reply box, you can restore that post.

Edit: See?

HTTP://i.imgur.com/kVr6OXS.png
Unslain Bosses - Clan

14-Nov-2014 19:44:03 - Last edited on 14-Nov-2014 19:44:48 by Hevilmystic

Whos-Dr
Mar Member 2011

Whos-Dr

Posts: 19,957 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Not sure if it's improved any, but last I checked, the quality of code behind Linkify is terrible. :s

Have you considered distributing the code into separate files for easier maintenance?
A proper development can do wonders sometimes. ^^

Also, first post on HLF.

http://fur-img.us.to/63be42357e4a0fc5
Forum Community Helper
- Tech Support
Here to lend a paw with your tech issues.

14-Nov-2014 23:57:46 - Last edited on 15-Nov-2014 00:14:46 by Whos-Dr

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Original message details are unavailable.
177 moss in 33 pillars. All using legendary greenfingers + perfect juju farm + magic secateurs.
Harvests were: 9-5-6-4-3-6-16-3-5-1-4-4-15-2-6-5-6-3-3-5-5-5-4-3-9-4-9-1-12-3-4-4-3

Just a small bug, no big deal. Doesn't need fix :p

15-Nov-2014 01:05:54

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Hevilmystic said :
Lifer said :
It's useful if you take a real long time to write a post and then suddenly as soon as you click Submit, you get logged out and lose all the work done on it (unless hit "go back" button.)

If you press 'submit' RSLinkify saves the post (This is true even if you don't get automatically logged out), and if you right click the quick reply box, you can restore that post.

Edit: See?

HTTP://i.imgur.com/kVr6OXS.png

Nice, thanks :P Would like to be a way to get rid of autolog though!

15-Nov-2014 01:06:32

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks everyone for the coffee, it's so good to be home again :)

@Rowley, I'll sort out your linkify badge next update (I need to remove the halloween code, so I'll do it soon). Oh that last coffee (previous page) looked amazing :)

­­­­

­­­­Itachi­­ http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10590.png ­­10590­­­­

­­­­

@Lifer, I'm not sure how the forum session expiry works, but it's the server logging you out and I have no way of interacting with that. It seems not being idle on forums prolongs your session, but not indefinitely. Even tricking the forums to think you're active wont prevent you getting logged out.

I will look into it but there may be little I can do, and of course there are reasons for having our sessions expire. As for that Link you posted, there is something I can do about that :)

­­­­

@Whos-Dr, nice first post on HLF, you're off to a great start.

Your opening sentence kind of puts me on the defensive. Criticism is welcomed here (when it's constructive).

Many people have pointed out corrections, different approaches and better ways of doing things. That's how I learn and that's how Linkify grows. I don't want that to stop, tbh it's what keeps me going.

Telling me, you think it's terrible is meaningless. I've seen you post some code snippets over time. I'd never say anything to make you feel as though it was terrible. If I were to do anything it would be to offer support.

However you have proved yourself to be a poor judge of quality by posting poor code examples and then criticising others.

On this thread we encourage, build ideas, and share code. We are not judgemental of others and their abilities. You post offers nothing but mostly criticism, that's your choice. Welcome to HLF.

15-Nov-2014 03:35:43

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top