Forums

why is Runescape 3 dying?

Quick find code: 259-260-865-65978984

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,453 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Everything dies eventually, so there. It's not going to completely die any time soon, however. It can still withstand far more abuse - there's likely years left still before we see anything remotely worrying in regards to the game's survival.

Every year people say RS3 is dying (or will die in X amount of time), and every year we're still here. The money Jagex make from RS3 is more than enough for them. As long as the profits continue, the game will last no matter what state it's in.

09-Jan-2018 23:01:12 - Last edited on 09-Jan-2018 23:01:44 by Singularity

Zparanoid

Zparanoid

Posts: 3,945 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bzay said :
Basically RS3 is dying imo because Jagex is wasting too much time investing into graphics rather than fun content and because Jagex is delaying content due to Compers. Mod Osborne said it a while ago as to why they dont release as much until it has been investigated that Compers can regain their capes easily

Aww, but I like doing the comp reqs that take a bit of effort to do. I find that they usually turn out to be the more fun ones!

There's reasons why its called a Completionist Cape rather than an "unlock a few songs Cape". :)

11-Jan-2018 05:27:04

Posts: 5,208 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Started playing 2005. The only goal I ever had was quests & sub-quests. The release of the Completionist Cape & Title never phased me, thus will never be persued by me. I am still angry of those high quest master cape requirements. Questing never was about combat. My opinion stands.

On topic: Runescape isn't dying. Runescape is evolving in combat ever since. That is why OSRS has a good base, or so it seems.
`·¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸`·¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸
2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™
¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸·´¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸·´

11-Jan-2018 08:22:20

Sha ky
Nov Member 2023

Sha ky

Posts: 33,579 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Because Jagex made a series of big mistakes but instead of correcting them they double downed on them and forced their player base to either adapt or leave.

Now they're left with a game that has an awful foundation so any new updates never have a chance to start with on top of that they've instilled some awful philosophises on how the game should played onto the reaming player base.

RS3 will never be able to succeed in its current state, it needs some extreme changes if the game wants to see player count rise. I doubt that will ever happen because Jagex have a long history of ignoring their players and not going back on failed updates.
Helper of the Community

Xp gainer
2/19

11-Jan-2018 17:54:09

Zparanoid

Zparanoid

Posts: 3,945 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sha ky said :
Because Jagex made a series of big mistakes but instead of correcting them they double downed on them and forced their player base to either adapt or leave.

Now they're left with a game that has an awful foundation so any new updates never have a chance to start with on top of that they've instilled some awful philosophises on how the game should played onto the reaming player base.

RS3 will never be able to succeed in its current state, it needs some extreme changes if the game wants to see player count rise. I doubt that will ever happen because Jagex have a long history of ignoring their players and not going back on failed updates.

When one looks back its often a history of missed opportunity with the game at Jagex. Things that the players really like and enjoy are seldom capitalised on, whilst they spend too much time beating dead horses.

Also I think Jagex are often good at coming up with some neat concepts, but that then get let down with flawed mechanics and botched implementations. A lot of the content they produce for the game probably looks awesome at the design stage - and that's because, at that stage, it is. Then it gets released relatively untested, often full of bugs, flaws and oversights, often poorly balanced. So its hit and miss whether it turns out to be good for the players and the integrity of the game moreover, or not.

12-Jan-2018 10:06:35

Otter
Dec Member 2006

Otter

Posts: 18,155 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zparanoid said :
Then it gets released relatively untested, often full of bugs, flaws and oversights, often poorly balanced. So its hit and miss whether it turns out to be good for the players and the integrity of the game moreover, or not.

I was going to say I think the biggest issue is their inability to retain experienced content developers, for exactly the reasons you posted.

To compound this issue, most MMO games, thrive when the level distribution of the player base is pyramid shaped. You need tons of low levels and fewer high levels. Runescape was fantastic in 2004 because you didn't have ANY maxed accounts, but you had quite a few specialty accounts, and thousands upon thousands of low level accounts. It was encouraging to think you were actually rewarded for becoming one of those high level accounts.

Jagex has done nothing to reset the playing field. They've opted instead for AFK content while convincing people that 200m's are what the game is about now. It truly goes hand in hand with their MTX strategy, and clearly it works. Generally people don't enjoy these tactics which is why you still see the MTX disgust, but from a financial perspective its easy to understand why they've chosen this route. They make more money from the hardcore elite than they do from a larger casual audience. Its much easier to make a few cosmetic unlocks at various exp levels and then monetize it through MTX promotions than it is to create quality content.

12-Jan-2018 10:27:23

H Rassy
Sep Member 2023

H Rassy

Posts: 17,469 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
eoc off course,the truth hurts. The downfall of rs3 began with the introduction of eoc. There are a few other things as well like mtx and maybe also the endgame economy of the game which is not attractive for new players. Players always quit and then if only few players join it goes down.

right now: osrs 40k people online rs3 17k people online.

I will still stick with rs3 though for the little time that I am still online,its a nice place to hang out if you have done a lot already and when you are not bothered anymore by getting ranks/xp or anything else for that matter lol.
If I would play seriously again I would do it on osrs though. From the old friends that I still know from ages ago the majority plays osrs after various breaks, though there is still a few old friends playing rs3 as well.

Maybe rs3 can still thrive if there would be a complete reset but that seems impossible to pull off. There is still some time left and eventually there will be a sort of bottom when it comes to players playing. And if that bottom is big enough to sustain the game with minimal updates (this is pretty much the case already btw) then it can probably last another 10 years.

12-Jan-2018 12:29:39 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2018 12:37:21 by H Rassy

Subzero

Subzero

Posts: 23,266 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Otter said :
I was going to say I think the biggest issue is their inability to retain experienced content developers, for exactly the reasons you posted.

I often feel like Jagec's content is 90% of the way there, but it's always missing that last 10% of polish - which makes a huge difference in terms of longevity.

I also feel like they're very reckless with their balancing. Dungeoneering is the best example of this: It awards level 80 items, and those level 80 items are what kept it alive. But, as we got we got T90 items, Dungeoneering died.
Subzero

Incursione 2100+/130+ Clan, Avatar access for all.

14-Jan-2018 15:26:54 - Last edited on 14-Jan-2018 15:27:14 by Subzero

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,673 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Subzero said :
Otter said :

I often feel like Jagec's content is 90% of the way there, but it's always missing that last 10% of polish - which makes a huge difference in terms of longevity.

I also feel like they're very reckless with their balancing. Dungeoneering is the best example of this: It awards level 80 items, and those level 80 items are what kept it alive. But, as we got we got T90 items, Dungeoneering died.

They should of never had so many boss drops in the EOC boss updates. All it did was make too many overpowered weapons which do not even need armor while being used. Think they would of learned after the godsword fiasco years ago. Btw godswords are pretty powerful using legacy.

14-Jan-2018 23:29:55

Quick find code: 259-260-865-65978984 Back to Top