Forums

existing skills to lvl 120

Quick find code: 259-260-506-65890319

Cyanid
Jan Member 2006

Cyanid

Posts: 24,133 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
They should just do that instead of just cherry picking random skills, like slayer.

¸¬°™°¬¸
With
¸¬°™°¬¸
Closed Eyes
¸¬°™°¬¸
I §ee
¸¬°™°¬¸
’¸·ˆ·¸
¶¶
`»—«’
¶right¶
`•
†hrøugh
•’
¶¥øu¶
`»—«’
¶¶
¸·ˆ·¸‘

‘•»¸¸«¤°˜¯‘•¸
¶¶¶¶¶
`
¤•¤
¶¶¶¶¶
¸•’¯˜°¤»¸¸«•’

°¬_¸–’
’¸¤·¤¸‘
‘–¸_¬°

12-Mar-2017 12:04:48

Sreyas

Sreyas

Posts: 4,083 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Other skills are much more limited compared to slayer. You can always come up with new ideas for slayer monsters, new themes for slayer dungeons, but there's already a lot of monsters between 1-99, and if they want to add new mechanics instead of just afk tasks like waterfiends, they'll have to be higher level, and for that the best way is to add levels from 99 to 120. Slayer just has a lot of scope for expansion. It wasn't "cherry picked" at random.

If they're gonna make more skills 120, at some point in distant future it would have to be combat skills, because we'll have t99 weapons and armour, and anything better will definitely have to go higher.
Experience may be the best teacher, but necessity gives you a crash course.
Grand Exchange rework | Disassembling Imp | QOL Updates | QOL updates v2

12-Mar-2017 12:49:47

AngryAraxxor

AngryAraxxor

Posts: 4,793 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With the way skilling works in its current state I would hope not. Not only is there absolutely no point in going up to 120 in a skill like, say, firemaking, but the process of training the skill itself also doesn't provide any interesting gameplay choices or variety. Same goes for almost every skill in the game, they're simply about repeating the exact same action over and over for months to possibly years on end. Encouraging raised level caps for these types of skills would be encouraging lazy (non-extistant) game design.

Compare this to Dungeoneering and Invention, both skills that deserved the higher level cap. Invention being the weaker one of the two, but it gets a break because it can be trained almost anywhere and in many different ways (interesting gameplay choices), besides constantly being useful for unlocking rewards and aiding other skills, even after maxing it out.

This doesn't mean the level caps should never be raised. I'm just saying Jagex needs to up the game design before even thinking about it. If the way to raise Woodcutting and Mining to 120 is to simply add a few new high tier logs and ores, I would say that's a sincere insult to us as a player as well as the limited time we have available to spend on this game.
¸¸¸¸¸¸„‹•°Member of
Shuu Zone #1 Community Clan
°•›„¸¸¸¸¸
AngryAraxxor
|
38/46 Insane Final Boss
|
PvPer
PvMer
Community
man

12-Mar-2017 15:17:41

Erehk

Erehk

Posts: 15,453 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It could be interesting to see other existing skills reworked to go up to 120, although I think certain skills would lend themselves to expansion much more easily than others.

Combat skills would do nicely, since new gear and equipment can be added to match higher and higher levels. It could be interesting to see what they'd be able to do with some of the complementary skills, too. Mining & Smithing, Magic & Runecrafting, and Fishing & Cooking, for example.

My own personal preference, though, would be for existing skills to keep their existing level caps and for things like higher level caps to be reserved for new skills in the future.
@RS_Erehk

12-Mar-2017 17:57:44 - Last edited on 12-Mar-2017 18:01:42 by Erehk

Cyanid
Jan Member 2006

Cyanid

Posts: 24,133 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh I see, so slayer is just so much different than other skills. It's impossible for jagex to include new slayer monsters in this crazy 99 level paradigm. Makes sense.

¸¬°™°¬¸
With
¸¬°™°¬¸
Closed Eyes
¸¬°™°¬¸
I §ee
¸¬°™°¬¸
’¸·ˆ·¸
¶¶
`»—«’
¶right¶
`•
†hrøugh
•’
¶¥øu¶
`»—«’
¶¶
¸·ˆ·¸‘

‘•»¸¸«¤°˜¯‘•¸
¶¶¶¶¶
`
¤•¤
¶¶¶¶¶
¸•’¯˜°¤»¸¸«•’

°¬_¸–’
’¸¤·¤¸‘
‘–¸_¬°

13-Mar-2017 07:33:30

626 fan club
Nov Member 2014

626 fan club

Posts: 3,700 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Honestly, the fact skills are starting to come out as "real" 120's like dung & invent makes me think that eventually, 120 skills will eventually be here in full swing. they're already talking about re-working 2 skills (mining and smithing) and actually pushing a 99 to 120 (slayer)

Wouldn't mind betting that in a couple of years 120's will be the new max cape. they seem to be talking about a lot of methods to re-balance skills as if they are trying to make design them all so we get 120s and better training methods.

for example:

they talked about removing/heavily nerfing caches/warbands and sinkholes this year to eliminate "dailyscape" in which case it "forces" you to actually do divination for a 99/120. which I think is what they're aiming for, balancing skills so you actually have to train it and then upping the xp/hr with new training methods.
Swift Leeches for all your Vorago
needs

13-Mar-2017 10:53:32

Quick find code: 259-260-506-65890319 Back to Top