HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Finbarr

Finbarr

Posts: 5,254 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
Envision said :
Morgan said :
I think Chaotic staff > dual wield. You get more XP per rune used.

um, not for barraging silly!

well, yes it'l cost you less..but it will also take 2x as long, which kindof defeats the purpose :P

also the problem when momentum barraging while AFK with a staff is the casting time, when you "turn" to attack something with auto retal, the casting speeds are so slow some of the monsters will "reset their hp", thus nulling any damage you dealt in an opposite direction and or tagging monsters in the middle of primary directions EG: sw/ne/se/nw

This is not the case. I get more XP drops with CS staff than wand of treachery. Just tried.

And yes, I know... different tiers and all, but it only takes 2 casts to decimate a whole wave of monsters with Cstaff, whereas wand of treachery takes 4, thus more runes spent. I *could* afford virtus, but don't feel like it.

You would have significantly more damage spillover with CS though (because the monsters are low-hp but not 1 hittable)? I haven't done abyss but this is the case at dagannoth.

30-Oct-2013 14:41:43 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2013 14:42:13 by Finbarr

Envision

Envision

Posts: 5,023 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
Envision said :
Morgan said :
I think Chaotic staff > dual wield. You get more XP per rune used.

um, not for barraging silly!

well, yes it'l cost you less..but it will also take 2x as long, which kindof defeats the purpose :P

also the problem when momentum barraging while AFK with a staff is the casting time, when you "turn" to attack something with auto retal, the casting speeds are so slow some of the monsters will "reset their hp", thus nulling any damage you dealt in an opposite direction and or tagging monsters in the middle of primary directions EG: sw/ne/se/nw

This is not the case. I get more XP drops with CS staff than wand of treachery. Just tried.

And yes, I know... different tiers and all, but it only takes 2 casts to decimate a whole wave of monsters with Cstaff, whereas wand of treachery takes 4, thus more runes spent. I *could* afford virtus, but don't feel like it.

ohh i assumed you had virtus, i'd highly recommend it if you plan on camping that for weeks on in :P

30-Oct-2013 14:42:11

Finbarr

Finbarr

Posts: 5,254 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What I mean is if you have 9 enemies with 3,000 Lp each and your maximum hit with a staff is 2700, you could expect to hit them all for 2,000 damage.

They all have 1,000 Lp left, and on your next hit, you do 1,000 damage to them all.

so lets pretend those two hits took 6 seconds.

With a wand, lets pretend the maximum hit is 1,350 and the casting speed is twice as fast.

So you hit 1,350, 1350, 300 and the monsters die.

Here, the wand kills the monsters in 4.5seconds vs the staff's 6 seconds. (assuming 1.5secs/hit for wand and 3secs/hit for staff, this is not the case in game but the values are just the illustrate that wand + book is 2x faster than a staff).

If we change the parameters to the following; staff can hit anywhere from 1-2,700 and wand can hit anywhere from 1-1,350, circumstances like this will arise...

9 enemies with 3,000 Lp, you hit 1,100, 900, 500, 500. So 12 seconds to kill them all with a staff.

With wand, you hit 500, 1000, 900, 400, 100, 100. 9 seconds to kill them all.

Sorry if this is ambiguous but the point I'm trying to convey is with a wand, because you hit more often, you will kill a lower-hp opponent more quickly than with a staff (unless you can 1 hit with the staff). Have you noticed this at abyss? It is the case for most slayer monsters/dagannoth and the main reason why barrage with a wand + book > barrage with a staff.

30-Oct-2013 14:57:11 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2013 15:00:40 by Finbarr

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Finbarr said :
well, yes it'l cost you less..but it will also take 2x as long, which kindof defeats the purpose

Also... what makes you say it'll take 2x as long?

Wand = more speed = less damage = more casts
Staff = less speed = more damage = less casts

Seem to be sort of... equal. Wand even requiring more runes.

30-Oct-2013 14:59:16

Envision

Envision

Posts: 5,023 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
Finbarr said :
well, yes it'l cost you less..but it will also take 2x as long, which kindof defeats the purpose

Also... what makes you say it'll take 2x as long?

Wand = more speed = less damage = more casts
Staff = less speed = more damage = less casts

Seem to be sort of... equal. Wand even requiring more runes.

^you quoted the wrong person silly, lolrslinkify.

but wand/book is better for abyss/dags, set an xp counter and track them for an hour, you should see a significant difference.

30-Oct-2013 15:03:05 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2013 15:03:18 by Envision

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Finbarr said :
That does seem to be the case when she does an elite clue, but less so if its complicated mathematics like "whats 50/3?".

Clearly 10, silly Fin.

Envision said :
i'm not an amatewr.

aha cwutidid :[)

i deed, i deed@

Sagzee said :
*Waves and waves with liquirice playdoh hair*

@_@ such yummy

­­­­
‹ « ­­< Amæ >­­ » ›
­­­­
Selective Completionist