Forums

HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Singularity said :
XP is only personal now if you want to remain a happy player.

So, so true. I agree with your post wholeheartedly, too. I used to like xp gaining, but I guess that only spanned to combat, and now I'm max combat, I don't really care. I don't think TH contributed too much to it, I'm more pissed off about dailyscape, but that's an argument for another day.

MTX as a whole is interesting though, a lot of us are veterans, a lot of us did max in the Victorian era and sure, you can be proud of that - I am - however expecting the game never to evolve solely because it used to be different is downright stupid. RS players are surprisingly selfish in that regard, and they seem to live in their own little bubble, playing solely RS and are completely oblivious to how the game industry as a whole has evolved. I can't think of any AAA title that doesn't have some form of DLC or MTX or similar, RS is no different, but because people are so fixated on the past, they think RS should avoid this. It isn't helped by MMOs as a breed dying, and being replaced with RTS games, or God forbid, mobile games. It's a lot different when you are selling 9 billion copies of your game at £40 or whatever, like Rockstar, you don't need to be *that* heavy with MTX, but when you are charging £3/5/6 for membership per month on a type of game that not a lot of people play any more... What do you expect? Wages rise, taxes rise, cost of property, electricity, etc, rises - and you expect your game to sit at £2/month or whatever it was on release? Nope, not happening.

Also hi, my internet's back.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

07-Apr-2016 16:48:28

Otter
Dec Member 2006

Otter

Posts: 18,155 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ Adding a little to that... I think people struggle with being able to make concessions of their ideals. A lot of people have this Utopian vision of what RS should be, at that vision usually doesn't include any form of MTX. If you spend any time on the OSRS forums you'll notice this is a common theme that comes up. So because people can't seem to make any concessions from what their ideal idea is, it leads to a lot of hate and disgust towards anything that is different to what they believe in.

07-Apr-2016 17:02:19

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,490 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah, I think a lot of players still try to impress others with their achievements, and that's why they find themselves in a miserable state caring about all these promos that continue to damage their past achievements. I don't really have a problem with people trying to impress others, it's to be expected on a game revolved around achievements. But in this day and age, trying to impress others will stress you the fk out. You have to move past that and only care about your own account. If you can't, you struggle or you move to OSRS/Ironman where achievements are more valued, and you can successfully impress people there. Sure, you sacrifice your time by starting again, but it's worth it in the long run if you're unhappy with how RS3 is.

As for Dailyscape, yes I can see why it would de-motivate you to continue xp-gaining (I assume that's your main reason for stopping "the gains" so to speak). It gets so overwhelming to keep up with and due to how time-bound it is, it's sometimes worse than actual grinding one skill at a time. The fact you have to worry and stress about being on at certain times in order to stay efficient can be a huge turn-off. :s there's times where I just skip dailies because I cba with the "time upkeep". ;d

At least with grinding, you can do the skill whenever you want for however long you desire. Rather than saying, "I have to plan my whole day ahead making sure all times match up, and work well in order to stay efficient and in the race". It's a stress you don't really need. I partake in dailyscape, but I don't play it religiously. I just cba with that. Sometimes you just want to do what you want, not be bound by dailies that end up taking a lot of game-time in total. It's especially annoying if you PvM with friends and see a daily is coming up, you have to leave and ditch them, or risk becoming "inefficient" due to missing a daily. It sucks sometimes.

This post kind of went longer than intended, lol.

07-Apr-2016 17:06:47

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

It's just funny people still think TH actually cares about fairness. Like one day they expect a promo that pretty much says, "Earn this LEGIT without buying keys!!! Buy keys if you want to get this item slower!". Like what even.. .

07-Apr-2016 17:12:49

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You're right, lol - I can't add anything, really, as interesting as an MTX conversation is without the usual "LOL I DONT CARE ABOUT XP IM SO COOL" posts.

As for my personal stance, I came from a time when to get a 99 you had to spend however many hours at a spot, you had to grind... This was worse for the game, it appealed less to casual players, and that's fair enough. I miss it, of course I do, but dailies are better for the game as much as my personal opinion differs. I don't go for xp any more and that's what everyone should do. You don't like it? Don't do it. Simple.

I also personally can't be bothered with the planning, lol. Right, I have to wake up at 8:55am for Guthixian Caches then after that, spend 20 minutes doing Divination and then head off to Big Chinchompa, right after I do my sinkholes! Then, at 10am, I will gear for warbands, spend an hour warring and then I will do another big chinchompa, swiftly followed by another cache!

Not my cup of tea.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

07-Apr-2016 17:20:24

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Jagex clearly want people to reach the stages where the game becomes more fun, so I can see why they've implemented the dailyscape "grind". For the majority, it's not actually as bad because they're not trying to balance all dailies together, as they aren't pursuing max xp. They only do dailies for skills which they feel are needed. The grind for them has been lessened, which is a good thing. Obviously, the game would probably have gone further downhill if it remained (IMO). The newer generation of players already complain about skills even with their boosted rates. Imagine if it was similar to how it was back then. Doubt they'd even be playing.

Tbh, the people that don't actually pursue XP are usually the ones that complain about how OP the promos are. People just need to let go that no one really cares any more about what you did "back in the day". TH has done enough damage that those people should have stopped caring long ago, but they still try rallying it hoping their words one day get heard. It's a battle you can't win, so best to move on. Only way TH would ever get halted is if all players joined together and refused to fund it at all.

OSRS/Ironman is the closest you'll ever get to going back to those times. RS3 won't be going there ever again, it's only interested in moving forward.

07-Apr-2016 17:32:32

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top