Forums

HLF General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579

HyunA

HyunA

Posts: 23,608 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Legiones makes sense not to be a Melee boss. That's in a Range Dungeon. I'm fine with that entirely.

It's like if the Polypore Dungeon had its own boss. I wouldn't care if you need to mage it because it would make sense to giving the location and area and the monsters around it.

Vorago. A good base tank is allowed to Melee but people prefer them to Mage coz of Mage Armour taking less damage which is technically a tanks job.

RoTS would be good for Melee but any time one of the brothers spin. You're not dealing DPS. The time spent running around. A Mage/Ranger will be a minimum of 16% and a Maximum of 48% (can vary if multiple spins happen if that's even possible) adrenaline ahead of you which can make or break a kill.

High Rage Raxxi is fine if you take a Shield and tank defensively when needed to and use the Revenge to Berserk combo which can outdps dual Drygores but the lack of Destroy hurts a bit, though doesn't hurt to put the offhand back on to Decimate>Destroy since Revenge will most likely finish off by then.
@HyunAOP

01-Oct-2014 22:57:53

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Melee does not get enough love.

Useless Aura (WTF AT BERSERKER LIKE REALLY), an ultimate which is good but you suffer more damage intake PLUS it has a shorter duration and the fact that if a boss constantly keeps moving out of the way, you can lose a ton of DPS (looking at you Nex)

Melee is actually better but at the end of the day - you'll be better off sticking to Range and Magic combat styles for "comfortability". The fact that you need to be in MD to deal tons of DPS makes it inferior to Range/Magic imo.

@ nex for example, using berserker on zaros phase is like a death sentence, you get owned so bad, plus the damage cap on Nex during that phase makes this ability pretty much useless whereas DS/Sunshine are still okay to use, because no increased dmg intake, so you can enjoy higher damage output without getting owned even harder.

I used to be a common user of Magic+Melee combo @ Nex but as soon as I experienced Range+Magic, I never went back to Melee ever again. If anything, it is very frustrating to use.

- “The darkness heralds only one thing: The end of time ITSELF” -

01-Oct-2014 22:58:28 - Last edited on 01-Oct-2014 22:59:00 by Singularity

HyunA

HyunA

It might seem silly. But I think Melee should get like 0.5-1% adrenaline gain on Bleeds.

it's the only possible way to balance out lost dps and Range/Mage will still be in the lead.

That or Melee thresholds cost -2% less.

As a Pker. You'll understand. I doubt it would be OP for PvM. People will take safety over DPS.
@HyunAOP

01-Oct-2014 23:00:07

Zae

Zae

Posts: 2,866 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I find melee to be the most fun style across nearly every game, it's a shame it's extremely gimped on RS now lol. I main a Rogue on WoW which has an amazing toolkit to avoid damage while sticking on the target, such as a short duration near spammable 50% aoe damage reduction spell(costs 1/5th energy bar). Cloak of shadows which clears all magical effects/unhittable for 5 sec/immune to spells for first 2 sec.. etc. All stuff which allows you to perform the role of MDPS while completing mechanics as efficiently as possible.

On rs the general problems being the additional damage taken/armour reduction being pretty over the top and having to stand around losing dps to complete mechanics properly/having to stand in shit because you are melee.

They could probably tweak certain things to make them more friendly for melee, such as making araxxor MD you when stuff like the lightbeam occurs, but idk really. I can't see it happening.

01-Oct-2014 23:00:53 - Last edited on 01-Oct-2014 23:04:03 by Zae

HyunA

HyunA

Wanna know a fun fact about PvP?

Dragonbreath can be used by Dual Wielders/Staff users/Single Wand users (with or without a shield) to drop prayer.

Snipe can do this too. With both 2h/Dual Wield/1h.

Here's where it gets interesting.

1 HANDED MELEE CANNOT DROP PRAYER AT ALL REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE A SHIELD OR NOT UNLESS YOU USE D SCIM SPEC.

Havoc drops Prayer (cool, Dual wield is sorted)
Smash drops Prayer (that covers 2h)

But what do Single Handed 1h Melee users get?
A Dragon Scimitar at the cost of 60% Adrenaline with a much higher fail rate than the others?

OK. Melee got shat on nice.
@HyunAOP

01-Oct-2014 23:03:18

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Melee is like the "dangerous" combat style on this game - it has very high food consumption compared to Range/Magic. That said, I guess melee would do pretty well for Nex crashing though!

- “The darkness heralds only one thing: The end of time ITSELF” -

01-Oct-2014 23:03:38

HyunA

HyunA

Another PvP fact. Possibly PvM?

Assault can be dodged
Flurry can be dodged
Destroy if Anticipated can be dodged
Fury can be dodged
Frenzy can be dodged (though anyone who uses that legitimately is silly)

Rapid Fire CANNOT be dodged unless you're out 9 squares.

Asphyxiate CANNOT be dodged either unless you're out 9 squares.
@HyunAOP

01-Oct-2014 23:05:25

Quick find code: 259-260-138-63809579 Back to Top