Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
saddha said :
I assume that the main pipe is clogged. Either that or the one leading to the community sewage system,
If that was the case, then the toilets would be backing up, as well as all the other drains in the house. I suspect it's a specific pipe that both the bathroom and kitchen sink share before they diverge to the main pipe that is blocked. Or, both the bathroom sink and kitchen sink are blocked at the water traps (as Krista mentioned) and they both just happened to happen at the same time.

saddha said :
which means you need either professional gear or a professional.
There isn't anything a plumber can do for you (while charging you $80-$150/hr) that you can't do yourself. For uncloging a drain, there really isn't any "professional gear" that is needed. A cheap $25 plumbing snake would be the most that you needed (other than a plunger). In some cases, some Drano can be used.

If it were me, I would fill up the one sink with water (to provide some gravity weight) and then use the plunger on the other sink (with a slight bit of water in it to give it something to flush through the drain).

Or you can try things like boiling water, vinegar, and baking soda as a "safe and environmentally friendly drain cleaner" if you don't want to use things such as Drano.
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

23-May-2017 15:26:30

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Averia Light said :
And 37 weeks tomorrow. I'm 'to term'. Which basically means they will take the baby for absolutely any reason.

I mean, I'm sure if my doctor thought that I gave her the stink eye, pitocin it is!
Almost there! And then just 18 years to go! ^_^
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

23-May-2017 15:27:16

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yer clean the wastes under the sinks be a case of unscrewing and removing it in the kitchen and probably a cap in the bathroom.

If yours is an old house it might be a bit harder than if it was plastic.

If it was more serious you'd notice the smell

23-May-2017 17:10:40 - Last edited on 23-May-2017 17:11:13 by Wilf

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

I'm the type who only resorts to calling "professionals" as a last resort, such as dealing with HVAC systems which legally require a certified technician to even buy the parts. Anything else, I generally figure "if someone else can do it, so can I, they're not magicians".

Cost me almost $300 to have the igniter replaced in the furnace (natural gas). The igniter itself can be purchased for only $25, but because of the laws here, the stores will not sell the parts to anyone who does not have an official HVAC certification. It was literally a 5 minute job, and a $25 part. $275 to have someone else unplug the igniter and plug the new one in place. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed in the least.
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

23-May-2017 17:57:12 - Last edited on 23-May-2017 18:00:19 by Nexus Origin

saddha

saddha

Posts: 4,181 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nexus Origin said :
I'm the type who only resorts to calling "professionals" as a last resort, such as dealing with HVAC systems which legally require a certified technician to even buy the parts. Anything else, I generally figure "if someone else can do it, so can I, they're not magicians".

Cost me almost $300 to have the igniter replaced in the furnace (natural gas). The igniter itself can be purchased for only $25, but because of the laws here, the stores will not sell the parts to anyone who does not have an official HVAC certification. It was literally a 5 minute job, and a $25 part. $275 to have someone else unplug the igniter and plug the new one in place. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed in the least.

I agree. HVAC isn't the deal in Europe, just companies (not even governmental buildings!).
Second thing I don't touch is gas. Liability is a pain.
Burgers anyone?
Om amideva hrih

23-May-2017 18:36:07

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

saddha said :
I don't touch is gas. Liability is a pain.
I'm fairly confident in my abilities. I have no issues hooking up my own gas appliances or running my own gas lines. However, the laws don't permit that here. Probably for "liability" issues as well. Not because the person doing the work is any better at it them I am, but because the person doing the work is insured and backed by their company. I suppose it's one thing if I burn down my own house, but, because it's connected to the gas lines for everyone else's house, I guess there is a possibility that I could potentially blow up the entire neighborhood?
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

23-May-2017 19:25:54

saddha

saddha

Posts: 4,181 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nexus Origin said :
saddha said :
I don't touch is gas. Liability is a pain.
I'm fairly confident in my abilities. I have no issues hooking up my own gas appliances or running my own gas lines. However, the laws don't permit that here. Probably for "liability" issues as well. Not because the person doing the work is any better at it them I am, but because the person doing the work is insured and backed by their company. I suppose it's one thing if I burn down my own house, but, because it's connected to the gas lines for everyone else's house, I guess there is a possibility that I could potentially blow up the entire neighborhood?

As you stated, I agree, this topic is best to discuss somewhere else. :P
Burgers anyone?
Om amideva hrih

23-May-2017 19:38:14

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top