Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Half/half white wine vinegar and hot water. Soak for a few hours then rub with a soft toothbrush, or you can add baking soda to the mix if it's heavily tarnished. This is for silver jewellery.

For gold you can soft toothbrush it with toothpaste! (But not if it's got pearls attached).

I only every use surgical spirit to clean the posts on earrings (the bit you shove in your ear) - it's a great disinfectant.

There's lots of other home-made remedies :)
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

05-May-2021 09:24:45

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's all I was hoping to use it for haha. Just to give the bars some clean before I change any of my piercing jewelry. I've always used rubbing alcohol for it, but after properly reading the ingredients on the surgical spirit, it should do fine. AND it smells better too!

I also got one of those cool blackhead removal tool kits from Home Sense a while back, and those will need a good clean before I use them. :)
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

05-May-2021 10:41:44

Brigantia

Brigantia

Honestly, haven't used them quite yet but they're easier on the skin than the old fashioned finger picking (can cause unnecessary irritation/swelling/cutting). That's the idea anyway. They work by putting pressure all the way around a blackhead as opposed to the two sides that your fingers would use.

My skin is super acne prone and I have a massive blackhead issue in general. I wouldn't use them for spots (unless they're super tiny, it depends on the spot) but they're good for blackheads!
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

05-May-2021 12:22:51 - Last edited on 05-May-2021 12:23:21 by Brigantia

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

I've just been delving into these kits. Apparently you can also buy a sort of vacuum cleaner for blackheads/open pores. Fascinating!

I rather like the idea of hoovering gunk out of skin - it seems to make more sense than squeezing which probably drives gunk even deeper if you're not super-careful.

I'll have to tell her about these kits, or maybe she already knows. She's young so probably already does know actually but I get to do my 'helpful Auntie' bit.

There were links to beauty product sites for all sorts of stuff to put on your face ... salicyclic acid, Retinol yahdey-yah. It was all a bit confusing for me - the gal who washes with Simple soap and splats on a dob of whatever face cream is going cheap in the supermarket.

Maybe if I'd known about all this stuff 30 years ago I wouldn't look like quite such an old hag now. Oh well.
Le Chat Guerrier

05-May-2021 12:45:07

Brigantia

Brigantia

There's loads of products! Salicylic acid is good for drying out stubborn topical spots (never worked for my bigger spots, they're like ten layers deep), and it's also antibacterial!

As a random fun fact: methyl salicylate is the methyl ester of salicylic acid.

Benzoyl peroxide is another product they use for acne/spots, and works similarly to salicylic acid, though salicylic acid is by far the most popular.

The main thing for it is just finding out what works for your skin. I think most acne is caused by hormonal imbalances rather than issues directly relating to our skin, especially if your niece is around puberty age. :L

I've been trying for 20 years to get my skin sorted and I've gone through practically everything on the American market. Guess now it's time to try the UK market :D

Edited to add: I would probably stay away from the vacuum things. They're great in theory, but they don't actually work that well. Plus it's REALLY easy to give yourself accidental hickeys with them.

@CapnBrigantia

05-May-2021 13:03:39 - Last edited on 05-May-2021 13:04:53 by Brigantia

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

OMG! That would be hilarious - in my warped sense of humour anyway. Imagine having a hickey on your nose :D

(We call them love-bites over here).

** Niece is in her late 20s now and always had what she calls 'problem skin'. I agree with her she's not had an easy time with it, for some people it just goes on and on.

** She's actually a Great-Niece, if there is such a thing. Daughter of my niece.
Le Chat Guerrier

06-May-2021 09:07:03

Brigantia

Brigantia

Ah fair. I'm around the same age and I've always had bad skin for as long as I can remember.

Maybe someday we'll find something that works!

@CapnBrigantia

06-May-2021 18:04:32

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Diet heavily weighed into my skin issues and still does.

If I don't eat clean and grease free, a pimple will appear. Plus, staying hydrated is a must as well.

Clean sheets and pillowcases and cleaning my face every other day works well for me as well. When I cleaned it everyday, my skin would create an abundance of oil to counteract the routine and just made it worse.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

07-May-2021 03:26:11 - Last edited on 07-May-2021 03:28:05 by Averia Light

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top