Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's just been a rough day.

I lost my other dog today. :c She was my baby, and it really hurts that I wasn't able to physically be there. I was able to video chat, so there's that. It just sucks.

I was having a good day.

As a funny side note, she really did like the needles. One of the vets that saw her noticed a considerable change in her behavior (she got really, very friendly with them) after she had to draw blood. It was hilarious. In the past, she'd been given sedatives because she was, or would have been, a bit bitey. Weirdo.

Pet tax:

Photos are courtesy of my sister - she's got a good eye for them!
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

30-Apr-2021 22:57:43

Dadizar
Oct Member 2005

Dadizar

Posts: 5,902 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What a lovely dog. Sorry for your loss. Still miss mine every day after two years.

*hug*
§¤*
What love we've given, we'll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity. - Leo Buscaglia
»¤§

01-May-2021 09:15:48

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm so sorry Brig. Letting them go is one of the most difficult things we do for our beloved pets. We want them to stay with us but we have to make the right choice for them. Several years ago I had to make that decision for our cat but during the pandemic restrictions its so much harder.
*hugs*

01-May-2021 11:41:58

Brigantia

Brigantia

Yeah :(

It certainly wasn't what I wanted to do, but she was in a lot of pain. She had a tumour in her abdomen that'd been diagnosed back in October-ish, and since then it got a lot bigger. I'd really hoped for a bit more time, so we'd tried managing it with prednisone but idk that it did very much.

She was trembling yesterday, and hasn't been super interested in food the last few weeks (probably due to lack of room in there, because this dog loves food) and overall just not acting quite right.

The vet said that she was really tender in that area and that it might have been hemorrhaging even, but it was really painful for her.

Ultimately, the only solution was surgery so we declined the bloodwork and xrays and decided it was time to let her go. For a dog her age, surgery for something that size would be traumatic and she probably wouldn't have handled it very well. At best, it would buy a year or two max if she managed to make it through that anyway. Wouldn't have been fair to make her go through all that.

She turned 10 back in February, so she'd had a pretty long life for a dog her size. :)

Literally the worst part of having pets.

And now we have a cat who has outlived four dogs lol
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

01-May-2021 12:05:02

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think you have made absolutely the right decision. It is so important to know when to let go, but I completely understand the pain you are feeling. It is so bad I have said every time that I will not do it again and have another pet, and yet always do.

Even though we have other pets now I still really miss and think about the ones we have lost.

Really sorry that you are going through this now

01-May-2021 14:26:48

Brigantia

Brigantia

That's always it, isn't it? Always swear to never have another one, and yet we do anyway.

Masochism at its finest haha

The right decision in those circumstances is always the hardest to make. :( As much as it kills me that I wasn't able to physically be there, it ended up working out for the best because had things gone differently, I wouldn't have been able to afford anything that we've done for those dogs to help them as much as we did. So all in all it worked out for the better, even if it totally sucks.

They'll both always be my girls. <3

@CapnBrigantia

01-May-2021 15:00:09

CM Arbor

CM Arbor

Local Moderator Posts: 1,945 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm so sorry for your loss, Brigantia. Losing pets really is the absolute worst; we had to make the decision to let our dog pass on some 6 years ago, and even now, thinking about it still gets me super emotional (sure enough, I'm getting teary-eyed writing this). But yeah, somehow we keep mustering up the courage to pick up and love some more furry friends, and I think that's because of the pure joy and love they bring into our lives, along with their great personality.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I hope the loving and happy memories you had with her can provide some solace through this tough time.

01-May-2021 18:15:35

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top