Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Idk much about how it works but I'm assuming all biometric passports would have to be recalled by the governing authority to have the vaccinations status added?

This would require a lot of time and work (and money) and since it looks like it's going to be an annual vaccine it'd have to be updated every year? It's not like your facial recognition info, or fingerprints, which remain the same always, it's a time-limited piece of information. A bit of a mammoth task?

I don't think there's any hard and fast rules yet about travel documents and vaccines for Covid, no consensus between all the countries on what's acceptable or how to go about it. It's still a wait-and-see situation.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

04-Apr-2021 08:52:31

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Like... it's not like countries don't have a massive database on their citizens.

I think it'd probably be more efficient in the long run if they'd have the chip send them to the updated vax record or whatever. I'm sure it's not THAT hard to do.
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

04-Apr-2021 12:50:26

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Eyyyy I dunno. My knowledge on the tech surrounding Passports is this big:

Also, maybe, there's a bit of upset (over here at least) about such things being discriminatory.
Some people cannot have the vaccine - like pregnant women and those with certain medical conditions, and other groups won't have it for a host of religious, moral or other reasons. So they'd be raising a rumpus about being excluded and victimised.

So that's all adding to the confusion about whether to have such requirements for travel. Personally, I reckon it'll go down the route of having to get a negative test at some point shortly before travel takes place rather than a vaccine status checking thing.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

05-Apr-2021 09:01:54

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That makes sense.

I just hope they come up with one of those tests that don't have to go up your nose. I'd gladly take one then haha
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

05-Apr-2021 11:43:19

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There have always been requirements to be able to do some things. For example height requirements on rides such as rollercoasters. Professional qualifications are required for many jobs. I'm sure there are many more examples I haven't thought of.
As for vaccinations you
must
be vaccinated against Hepatitis B to work as a surgeon. Its not just to protect themselves but to protect the patients they operate on. To visit some countries you
must
be vaccinated against yellow fever. I have a lot of sympathy for people who
cannot
be vaccinated for medical reasons, there should be a way for them to be excused where appropriate. I have no sympathy for those who simply refuse. Are these requirements discriminatory? Yes, but for excellent reasons, public health/safety and maintaining professional standards.

I don't like the idea of putting a swab up my nose, tickling your tonsils is bad enough. :P Wasn't there a test being developed that used saliva? Perhaps its not suitable for mass testing due to cost and having to be done in a laboratory?

05-Apr-2021 11:59:03

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yesterday one of my son's went to buy treats with his Easter egg money; when we were at the checkout he went to give me the money which was inside his phone which was missing, not in his pocket where he left it. So we said to the lady sorry won't be purchasing this right now we have to go look for his phone. My youngest son rang the phone on the way to Te Papa (Museum of New Zealand) the last place we were at and no one answered. Got to Te Papa and were talking to someone there when his father rang to say the supermarket had his phone :D He'd put his phone on the freezer section of the supermarket for some strange reason. So he got his phone and money back :D He was very pleased, he was more disappointed that he lost his money, he just didn't care about his missing phone :O
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

05-Apr-2021 22:04:19

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
When I went Overseas many years ago I had a separate card that stated the vaccine I had for the trip.

This card was called International Certificate of Vaccination. It had a section for Yellow Fever, another section for Small Pox, a third section for other vaccinations.

I feel this is all they need.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

05-Apr-2021 22:21:20

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top