Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Joel
Feb
fmod Member

Joel

Forum Moderator Posts: 32,973 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
I may also exit the "rat race" using my financial and computer science background by either starting my own business or playing the stock market (I am about to make my first personal purchase this Friday) to focus on far more meaningful volunteer work (unfortunately most organizations have stopped most programs due to COVID). So if I disappear one day, it is probably going to be for any one of these reasons.

That's awesome :) Good for you if you go for it! :) I think more people should volunteer more, time permitting obviously and especially in something they could enjoy as well.

I found Covid actually opened up bunch of new volunteer opportunities at least where I live and with more time on my hands I found myself on the weekends doing nothing other than either exercising or watching TV lol.

I found an opportunity to volunteer back in April as a mover/driver for a charity helping women & children fleeing abuse (the rate of which has increased a lot since Covid unfortunately) so that was a perfect use of my time on the weekends outside of my full time job.
Joel

Need support? Support Centre | Forum Help

02-Sep-2020 18:40:33

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nice, it is good to know that not everywhere is like Michigan. Single moms are seriously super heroes, but they definitely could use some help as it would be hard to watch a toddler and move a couch. So good on you for helping.

Also, my investment profile requires a lot of hoops to jump through which is killing me, because I found a few stocks that are clearly discounted. I hope no one notices until after I can transfer funds to my investment account and scoop them up.

As far as opportunities to volunteer, we still have closed gyms and theaters here...so it might be awhile before organizations start up their volunteer onboarding processes again.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

03-Sep-2020 02:11:54

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We're pretty much open for business as usual in the UK. Some places are subject to local restrictive measures where new cases are spiking but the majority of things are open again.

Strangely, one still cannot see a Doctor - you can only speak to them on the phone and they tell you to go to A&E (Emergency Room, in the US?) which is bizarre. If it's not safe to see your own GP then how can it be safe to sit in a public Accident & Emergency centre for 6 hours waiting to be seen O_o

Also the Public Libraries are mostly closed - yet schools and shops are fully open. I fail to see any logic in that.

Nightclubs (and strip clubs) are still closed whereas Pubs and restaurants are open but I can't say that concerns me too much.

One can have a tradesperson come to fix your boiler or paint your house but you cannot have direct physical contact with anyone working for local Government (say, if I wanted to see someone to talk about an issue relating to my property/the local area). I assume that people who work for the Govt. are more precious than the grunts who keep the wheels on the wagon.

Society is very strange at the moment.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

03-Sep-2020 09:29:38

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for stating that Fifi. Shone a big reality on the current situation.

1 - I noticed the libraries were still closed. If I wanted to print something, I had to go to an internet cafe to use a printer there O_o (I don't keep one at home and don't normally need to use one often). I also like to work in privacy outside of the house many times so going to a library with a laptop is often a nice escape, yet this is not allowed?

2 - Is that GP thing happening with all practices or just your one? I guess the idea behind it is that patients are only seen in person if it's a life threatening emergency, hence why not everyone will be able to see a GP in person and even if you needed to, that doesn't even mean you'd fit the criteria for A&E and therefor would just have to accept the status quo and wait till pandemic restrictions are eased. Doesn't your GP deal with urgent cases face to face though (for example, those that warrant an emergency GP appointment)?

3 - Not sure when the clubs will reopen. Whenever they do, I hope by then the libraries are open again too I guess lol.

On a completely random separate note - does anyone know if S Palpatine is Southeaster or not?

05-Sep-2020 00:18:14

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@ Aerox

I do believe the GP Surgery thing is country-wide.
I'm not entirely sure what circumstance would ensure you get to actually physically see your GP. From my own recent experience of having a very bad case of Shingles - I phoned the Surgery, explained my symptoms and was told to go to A&E.

I argued about this; Shingles is not an Accident nor an Emergency although it is a potentially dangerous infection for someone my age and history to have. I wanted someone to look at the rash and confirm it was, indeed, Shingles and to prescribe an anti-viral and offer advice on management of the condition.

I was eventually (reluctantly) issued the meds but no examination and no management advice other than - go to A&E. Unsatisfactory, imo.

Interestingly, I read an article this morning which proposes that the NHS Advice Line (111) can now 'book' a slot in A&E for you, much the same as booking a GP appointment, for ailments which are not strictly an accident or emergency and there are plans to make this the norm.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of the local GP Surgery and how this will impact on people who live a long way from a Hospital with an A&E Department (like me), the elderly, infirm, people with young children and the like. Added to which, parking facilities are limited and outrageously expensive.

I fear the NHS is standing on a precipice and the bureaucrats are about to kick it into the abyss.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

05-Sep-2020 10:08:28

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I wonder what the exact logic behind not letting people see the GP in person, but letting others in A&E who are also doctor, see patients instead. My first thoughts are so that the family GP does not get the infection and the entire GP service closes (cause there's usually only a small number in any practice). But like you say again, A&E will also have doctors being exposed to patients too.

I guess legally A&E doctors *have* to see patients in person in emergency situations in order to protect and save life, so maybe it's simply the idea that those doctors happen to have "the short straw" compared to GPs.

If a GP tests positive, just replace them with a locum for the time being whilst they self isolate is what I would have thought? Lol. But I'm going to check a few GP websites now to read up on all this (not that I don't trust you lol).

05-Sep-2020 11:45:34

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top