Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

The contents of this message have been hidden.

26-Nov-2019 11:36:29

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jakey Boy said :
Wilf said :
Jakey Boy said :
CM Nick said :
FiFi LaFeles said :
then I can do other stuff instead of feeding monstrously ungrateful farm beasts and shovelling doo-doo.

If only real farmers could be so lucky :P
Idk, governments in a lot of countries heavily subsidise farmers and provide ridiculous amounts of welfare to them. I'm not sure which other career paths the tax payer/the government gives you free money constantly?

Some need it and deserve it
I mean, I'm sure everyone can argue that they need and deserve free money lol.

the weather is something that can't be relied upon and bad weather can cause a lot of damage to crops if it is too wet or too dry couple that in with diseases pests etc then there is potential for disaster

also many farmers want them to stop because they feel it is what is keeping prices low and allowing large scale business to keep expanding as they receive a lot. this may be intentional as if the prices are low then it enables the general population to afford to buy basic food stuffs

not to mention keeping farmers farming is considered to be of national importance and if they go out of business then the land may be sold for other purposes

also farmers are in a position where by the prices they get are determined by the buyers so if it is a good year in other countries that produce a lot of say wheat such as Russia the prices will be lower and if this is coupled with a bad year in the uk then they're hit with a double whammy.

oh and some of the subsidies are for taking land out of production for environmental benefits

there are lots of points to farming subsidies and I'm not knowledgeable enough to go into any real detail

26-Nov-2019 21:37:22 - Last edited on 26-Nov-2019 21:47:31 by Wilf

26-Nov-2019 23:38:56

27-Nov-2019 00:14:25

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top