Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, both definitions infer that cancer is 'something evil or malignant that spreads'. It is.

However, because some people misinterpret it, the context that the word is used in that is, that doesn't justify (to me) censorship of the word in order to prevent their misinterpretation and subsequent upset.

The original Mod message was that the title was changed since it "could be offensive to anyone who has been affected by cancer".

Nexus' thread had very clearly nothing to do with the organic disease by the same name; people might have seen the word and had a knee-jerk reaction (I didn't even though I've had it) but further reading would have illustrated that they had misinterpreted the use and context of the word.

So the word is censored because some people find their misinterpretation upsetting.
I just don't see the logic in that, at all. Surely they can correct their misinterpretation rather than employ censorship based on their misinterpretation.

As I said earlier, should we then not be permitted to use other words or groups of words that might upset people; miscarriage of justice, I could murder a cup of tea, rape of the planet ... so on and so forth.

Where does the line get drawn? No discussion of favourite foods to be had in case people who are Vegans get upset seeing people talk about grilled steak.... no mention of death because people have had painful losses .....

Wanton censorship based on misinterpretation and purely personal grounds could become something evil and malignant that spreads.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

08-Dec-2018 18:25:55

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well said Fifi.

It would be different if there was a blanket ban on the word.

But when you pick and chose who can and who cannot use a word, not based on actual offense, but on someone's perceived offense, that creates division.

"You can", "you can't", "how do I get into the group that can?"

That's no good for anything.

The idea of "We know you haven't done anything wrong... BUT... here's what we're gonna do" baffles me. lol

*knock knock*

Hello?

Hello, I'm Officer Griffin, we got a complaint from your neighbor about your music being too loud.

But, I'm not playing music.

I know, they're mistaken, but I'm going to have to take your speakers away, just in case someone else mistakenly thinks you're playing music.

Couldn't you just tell them that I'm not playing music?

Sorry, I've already picked up the speakers. The whole process is out of my hands at this point. And now I have to do paperwork. Bureaucracy, eh?

but... but... but...

Sorry, as you can see, my feet are walking out the door, nothing I can do, sorry!
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

09-Dec-2018 08:58:02

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nexus Origin said :
Averia Light said :
Nexus Origin said :

There shouldn't be consequences for using inoffensive words in their proper context, publicly or privately. Why would there be consequences if no wrongdoing has occurred?

Being insensitive to others has consequences, whether it be physical or emotional. Emotional intelligence is definitely gaining popularity and is noted as being one of the more important factors in how to be successful.
We don't based rules in language around those lacking in literary control.
We don't based rules in society around those lacking in emotional control.

It is up to each individual person to personally educate themselves and gain their own knowledge and intelligence so that they understand and can properly comprehend and engage in society as a whole.

Censoring doesn't encourage any kind of intellectual growth.

Look, people know what the word/s mean, for the umpteenth time it's not about the meaning of the word - it's on a level that you can't comprehend it seems, it's not about educating - it's something that personal. inside us, I don't know how to explain it, but it isn't about the meaning of the word.

I am sorry your title was changed, but there are those that find it upsetting, so somewhere in your heart let it go, move on...
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

09-Dec-2018 10:29:19

The contents of this message have been hidden.

09-Dec-2018 11:20:22

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

And for the umpteenth time - censorship should not be based on personal feelings or experiences, likes or dislikes - it should be based in logic, definition and context.

The meaning of the word has been explained over and over. You cannot explain the reason it should be censored because to do so defies definition.

So to insist on 'letting it go' is not satisfactory.

If someone decided to censor your name because it contains the word "Dead" and that word upset them because someone they knew is dead - would you just let it go and move on?
Actually, your name offends me. I used to know many people who are now dead. I expect it might upset other people who knew people who are now dead. Could you modify your name please so that it doesn't upset me or anyone? Thanks.
Le Chat Guerrier

09-Dec-2018 11:28:20

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
if you like to sit around the coffee table, dinner table, work office or where ever you may be in your life and use words such as cancer, cancerous, retard in your daily words because they fit quite nicely and everyone around you smiles and joins in with your cancer, cancerous and retard words I can't stop you - but I am pleased that occasionally someone has the bulls to remove such words in these forums. Also, I like to add I am very pleased when I am out and about, at school, having coffee, in a course, at work, having dinner etc the people who I associate with or who I am around don't use such words in their daily lives.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

09-Dec-2018 11:45:27 - Last edited on 09-Dec-2018 11:47:29 by Dong U Dead

The contents of this message have been hidden.

09-Dec-2018 11:49:36

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Dong U Dead said :
if you like to sit around the coffee table, dinner table, work office or where ever you may be in your life and use words such as cancer, cancerous, retard in your daily words because they fit quite nicely and everyone around you smiles and joins in with your cancer, cancerous and retard words I can't stop you - but I am pleased that occasionally someone has the bulls to remove such words in these forums. Also, I like to add I am very pleased when I am out and about, at school, having coffee, in a course, at work, having dinner etc the people who I associate with or who I am around don't use such words in their daily lives.

But you are using the word "Dead" every time you post?

(See, we can all exaggerate and be silly and go waaaay over the top about things?)
Le Chat Guerrier

09-Dec-2018 11:58:22

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top