Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
This is entirely up to the individual, which I believe Nexus is arguing against.
I support the use of our language as defined by society. I am against censoring inoffensive words that are being properly used based on individual feelings.

If a word is used in an offensive manner, than it is offensive.
If a word is not used in an offensive manner, than it is not offensive.

If you are offended by something that is not offensive, then that is a personal issue that you must personally deal with. You can't force the rest of society to conform to your own personal issues through the use of censorship.

Education is the key, not censorship.
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

08-Dec-2018 02:05:14

Icy Spring

Icy Spring

Posts: 3,248 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Every time I go to the Y and start raining 3's some kid always pesters me about my supposed basketball skill. Like yeah kid, if Roy Williams had put me in the 2016 national title game we woulda been champions. No doubt in my mind. If things had been different I could've gone pro and be making millions of dollars.

08-Dec-2018 02:06:09

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Icy Spring said :
Every time I go to the Y and start raining 3's some kid always pesters me about my supposed basketball skill. Like yeah kid, if Roy Williams had put me in the 2016 national title game we woulda been champions. No doubt in my mind. If things had been different I could've gone pro and be making millions of dollars.
Stop dropping from the 3 point line, start missing and hitting the backboard hard, and wait for the haters. When you get them to put their money where their mouth is, then you make it rain. ^_^

You'll be a millionaire in no time!
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

08-Dec-2018 02:09:53

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nexus Origin said :
Averia Light said :
That being said, I would never use either word in a professional setting or even informal setting where I did not know all the parties. I have used both words privately, although I stopped using retard in the 1990s.
Was that choice yours, or did someone make that choice for you?

If you are trying to compare what I say privately to your current plight, the only 'moderator' I have in private conversations is the other peron. In the past, I have most certainly faced the consequences of what I say privately.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

08-Dec-2018 02:26:05 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2018 02:30:29 by Averia Light

Averia Light

Averia Light

Nexus Origin said :
Averia Light said :
This is entirely up to the individual, which I believe Nexus is arguing against.
I support the use of our language as defined by society. I am against censoring inoffensive words that are being properly used based on individual feelings.

If a word is used in an offensive manner, than it is offensive.
If a word is not used in an offensive manner, than it is not offensive.

If you are offended by something that is not offensive, then that is a personal issue that you must personally deal with. You can't force the rest of society to conform to your own personal issues through the use of censorship.

Education is the key, not censorship.

Which is pretty much what I said in a much more concise manner, is it not?

08-Dec-2018 02:27:07

Scouse
Feb Member 2018

Scouse

Posts: 29,018 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
Scouse said :
Averia Light said :
In all fairness, I can totally see why there would be a misunderstanding in both the cancer and retard scenarios. After all, similes exist and both words are commonly used as a derogatory simile.

That being said, I would never use either word in a professional setting or even informal setting where I did not know all the parties. I have used both words privately, although I stopped using retard in the 1990s.

Idk, it's kinda like the use of the word "nigger" i am in no way racist, i am just using it for this example...

A white guy calls a black guy it, not acceptable

A black guy calls a black guy it, acceptable

A good friend of a black guy calls a black guy it " in a non malicious way" acceptable.

I know this because i have black mates that i can say it to because they know it is not said with malice.

That's just an example of how a bad word can be used in a way as to not cause offence.

I get what you are saying but a word can not be claimed by an individual, what i mentioned is actually a fact and if 1 person can not grasp that fact, they need to either learn to understand or let it go.

Thats just my opinion, i may be wrong but it's what i see it as.

Much love

Scouse - Man of many words
[qfc id=]whatever[/qfc]
#JFT96
August 15th 2017, the day Jagex freed me
Liverpool is love, Liverpool is life

08-Dec-2018 02:29:08

Averia Light

Averia Light

Not trying to be a butthead, but I feel like that is an argument that supports the use of an individual's feelings to determine if something is offensive as opposed to a general standard of what should and shouldn't be considered offensive. And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

08-Dec-2018 02:33:37

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Averia Light said :
Nexus Origin said :
Averia Light said :
Was that choice yours, or did someone make that choice for you?

If you are trying to compare what I say privately to your current plight, the only 'moderator' I have in private conversations is the other peron. And, I have most certainly faced the consequences of what I say privately in the past.
I am asking if you freely make the choice to use or not use certain words, or are those choices imposed upon you? Choice is the key here. If it's your choice, that's fine. If someone is making that choice for you, that's not fine.

There shouldn't be consequences for using inoffensive words in their proper context, publicly or privately. Why would there be consequences if no wrongdoing has occurred?
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

08-Dec-2018 02:36:03 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2018 02:39:23 by Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Averia Light said :
Not trying to be a butthead, but I feel like that is an argument that supports the use of an individual's feelings to determine if something is offensive as opposed to a general standard of what should and shouldn't be considered offensive.
Yes, I feel the whole limitation of words based on identity politics to be sheer insanity, If something is deemed offensive, then it should be deemed offensive by everyone. If it's not deemed offensive, then it shouldn't be deemed offensive by anyone. Identity politics has no place in the dictionary (other than to define the term "identity politics&quot ;) .
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

08-Dec-2018 02:43:14 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2018 02:43:49 by Nexus Origin

Averia Light

Averia Light

Nexus Origin said :

There shouldn't be consequences for using inoffensive words in their proper context, publicly or privately. Why would there be consequences if no wrongdoing has occurred?

Being insensitive to others has consequences, whether it be physical or emotional. Emotional intelligence is definitely gaining popularity and is noted as being one of the more important factors in how to be successful.

08-Dec-2018 02:43:18

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top