Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :
fmods never seem to find the word cancer so upsetting when in the breast cancer awareness threads

or the fact that users reading such a thread will be reminded about people they know having died or survived cancer and as such might be upsetting is again ignored.

Posted about such things on the fmr a number of times over the years now might be the time a jmod understands...

Probably because those threads were obviously cancer support threads as opposed to a thread that has nothing to do with cancer.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

07-Dec-2018 02:01:39

Niyah

Niyah

Posts: 1,337 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
Wilf said :
fmods never seem to find the word cancer so upsetting when in the breast cancer awareness threads

or the fact that users reading such a thread will be reminded about people they know having died or survived cancer and as such might be upsetting is again ignored.

Posted about such things on the fmr a number of times over the years now might be the time a jmod understands...

Probably because those threads were obviously cancer support threads as opposed to a thread that has nothing to do with cancer.
It still mentions cancer in the title though. As such, it is very offensive to me.
Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!

07-Dec-2018 02:10:02

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes. The thread title had nothing at all to do with the disease of cancer and yet it was censored on the grounds that the disease of cancer is upsetting. Even though the word has an entirely different meaning in the context it was used.

Moderation based on knee-jerk personal, emotional grounds. Not objective at all.

But, I think I've said all I want on this matter. The Mods will get their own way, they always do.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Dec-2018 02:10:33

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Niyah said :
Averia Light said :
Wilf said :

It still mentions cancer in the title though. As such, it is very offensive to me.

Considering that the argument surrounding allowing the word involves context, I would find it silly to not include the context surrounding the use of other examples.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

07-Dec-2018 02:12:02

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile

So I open up the dinosaur book and I look up the word "Cancer".

Disease, malignancy, tumor, sickness.

This is how I feel about this so called "Social Justice".

I feel it is a sickness on society, a disease, that starts off small, localized, but then spreads, like a malignant tumor, growing quickly and if no one intervenes, it eventually kills off parts of society, while making itself stronger.

The ironic thing is that just talking about it, just expressing how I feel about it, up it springs.

It doesn't matter what word I would have used in place of "Cancer" to express my sentiment.

"Social Justice is _____"

Anything other than something positive, and "Social Justice" is there, waiting to tell me I offended "Social Justice".

"Social Justice is a tumor"
"Social Justice is a disease"
"Social Justice is a sickness"
"Social Justice is cancer"

Social Justice was ready, no matter what the title was used.

"Social Justice is awesome"
"Social Justice is fair"
"Social Justice is good"

No one would have complained at the those.

Social Justice isn't up for debate.
Social Justice just does what it wants.
When challenged, Social Justice turns really ugly, really fast.

It doesn't matter if you're right, you're always wrong if it's Social Justice.

lol

:)
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

07-Dec-2018 03:50:12

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

P.S. if me using the word "Cancer" offended you, you should understand how "Social Justice" makes me feel, more than most people.
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

07-Dec-2018 03:53:36 - Last edited on 07-Dec-2018 03:54:29 by Nexus Origin

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, we all know that words have different meanings, but there are certain words that aren't kosha to use, not really appropriate, or people get offended by it. It's not the word its self but what the word represents or represents to themselves.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

07-Dec-2018 04:47:05

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Dong U Dead said :
Yes, we all know that words have different meanings, but there are certain words that aren't kosha to use, not really appropriate, or people get offended by it. It's not the word its self but what the word represents or represents to themselves.
Context matters.

We have these rules for the English language that we all need to follow so that people can properly interpret what is being conveyed.

When you ignore these rules you end up with fucked up interpretations.
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

07-Dec-2018 04:48:18 - Last edited on 07-Dec-2018 04:50:12 by Nexus Origin

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nexus Origin said :
Dong U Dead said :
Context matters.

We have these rules for the English language that we all need to follow so that people can properly interpret what is being conveyed.

No, I knew exactly what you meant with your cancer title - interpretations often isn't the issue here. The retard and mechanics I did not, nor would a lot of people if you are not in that circle. it's certainly not written in the online dictionary.

It's not about interpretation, to me I feel it's about this:

Dong U Dead said :
Yes, we all know that words have different meanings, but
there are certain words that aren't kosha to use, not really appropriate, or people get offended by it. It's not the word its self but what the word represents
or represents to themselves.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

07-Dec-2018 04:58:46

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Dong U Dead said :
it's certainly not written in the online dictionary.
Can you give me a link to the online dictionary you're using?

Dong U Dead said :
Yes, we all know that words have different meanings, but
there are certain words that aren't kosha to use, not really appropriate, or people get offended by it. It's not the word its self but what the word represents
or represents to themselves.
Are you speaking about Manomaya kosha?

Or do you mean "kosher"?

Words aren't something that you personally define. Words have specific meanings, and those meanings are specifically defined and written down in dictionaries so that everyone will know what society means when that specific word is used in that specific context.

Nexus Origin said :
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_