Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Posts: 21,010 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Removing the density of air (in a vacuum) would result in the apple being much more dense than it's surroundings, so it would fall regardless. The same thing happens with a helium balloon in a vacuum, as the helium balloon is more dense than the atmosphere around it.

And if you dropped the same apple in water? Would it float or fall?
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDelivery Now Available In Canada

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

09-Sep-2017 19:00:35 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2017 19:08:04 by Nexus Origin

Icy Spring

Icy Spring

Posts: 3,248 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My point was that the apple will still fall when not immersed in any medium, hence gravity is the only force at work. Density of the apple is irrelevant because there is no mass (air, water) inside the chamber for it to displace.

09-Sep-2017 19:10:55 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2017 19:16:18 by Icy Spring

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

Not being immersed in any medium has no bearing on buoyancy, as buoyancy is based on atmosphere and density, not any specific medium. Having no atmosphere and zero density means any object with any density will fall.

Explain how a bowling ball and a feather will fall at the same rate in a vacuum, using gravity as an explanation.

https://youtu.be/E43-CfukEgs?t=172

Shouldn't gravity be exerting more force on the bowling ball than the feather, regardless of the atmosphere around them?
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_

McDonalds
-
I'm lovin' it.

09-Sep-2017 19:16:18

Icy Spring

Icy Spring

Posts: 3,248 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nexus Origin said :
Not being immersed in any medium has no bearing on buoyancy

It means there's no buoyant force acting on the falling object because there is no mass being displaced

Nexus Origin said :

Explain how a bowling ball and a feather will fall at the same rate in a vacuum, using gravity as an explanation.

Shouldn't gravity be exerting more force on the bowling ball than the feather, regardless of the atmosphere around them?

Newton's law of universal gravitation: F = (G*M1*m)/R^2
Newton's second law: F = m*a
F = (G*M1*m)/R^2 = m*a
=> a = (G*M1)/R^2

Therefore acceleration due to gravity is constant regardless of the mass of the object gravitational force is exerted on

Nexus Origin said :

Yeah, so plug in to F = m*a to obtain that result

09-Sep-2017 19:41:20 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2017 19:44:13 by Icy Spring

Nexus Origin

Nexus Origin

That's kind of where the whole gravity argument falls apart for me. Gravity is specifically dependent on mass, but, as soon as you remove atmospheric density, all of a sudden mass no longer applies?

Another thing that confuses me is the moon. The moon is somehow outside of the Earth's gravitational pull, yet, the oceans are somehow within the moon's gravitational pull?

No one actually knows what gravity is, nor can they explain how it works. The only thing they can do is theoretically explain the effects that they see.
_
_
_
_
_________
m
_________
_
_
_
_