Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ancient Drew said :
It's a thread that says "nationalism". That's politics for one thing. And also, there's a history of discrimination and racist attacks from the 70s through to the 90s, with some cases still going on now. Like Stephen Lawrence, a black British man from south east London who was murdered in a racially motivated attack while waiting at a bus stop in 1993.

I'm not saying that all nationalists are racist and discriminatory - that may well not be the case .

Of course it isn't the case - SNP?

21-Jun-2017 21:45:32

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Shiavui said :
Exactly. It's poor. It leaves too much uncertainty and educates no one.

I did try with the new up date to be able to question moderators, not argue with them, but to get an understanding about closures of threads and hidden posts, to actually have a convo with them - but I don't think we can - it actually never got a reply from a jmod...

Maybe I am the last person to ask, as pretty much these are the reasons for a lot of my bans.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

21-Jun-2017 21:58:46

Shiavui

Shiavui

Posts: 50,740 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Living in Glasgow, most of the hate I've seen from SNP supporters isn't really about England, but about London.

Though there are definitely people that hate the English too. I'm sure there are English people that hate the Scottish as well.

21-Jun-2017 23:03:17 - Last edited on 21-Jun-2017 23:03:32 by Shiavui

Volkisch

Volkisch

Posts: 1,595 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
Innit there already a thread along the same lines by shady?

Bump that one, see what happens lopl

Hell, I'll go do it

Mine came first
[qu.ote id=23-24-312-63626936-13867-341770025*[quot.e id=23-24-703-65953575-104-341769920*what devastatingly undeveloped senses of humor you all have
can't even screencap this **** it's so stupid[/qu.ote]

can somebody put this in their sig[/.quote]

21-Jun-2017 23:05:06

Shady Nick

Shady Nick

Posts: 16,272 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jagex decided that political discussion is allowed, but will be moderated more strictly than other topics.

Where the line is - I don't know. I do believe that I am able to share my opinion without offending anyone. The act of having a certain viewpoint in itself should not be considered offensive (except for obvious examples which I wont mention). However, I firmly believe that discourse itself is fine even if parties disagree.

The most politically-charged thread I've seen isn;t even in this forum, it is in Rants. I wont name it here, but it is a powder keg. Anyways - the line at which discourse becomes problematic is subjective, and since there are a variety of people who post here and mods who moderate I'm sure eventually any thread regarding certain politics will be locked.

My thread was simply an opinion piece on which was better. If people are offended by having that choice - I don't know what to tell people.

22-Jun-2017 00:51:23

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chill the tits

Only reason why I bumped it is because the other thread on nationalism was hidden with no explanation and there was hubbub on here about it. Not because I thought one thread had a right to exist over the other (who was first or not) or because I was offended.

Just convenient to test if threads on nationalism will get hidden or not since the other thread already existed.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

22-Jun-2017 00:56:49 - Last edited on 22-Jun-2017 00:58:05 by Averia Light

Shady Nick

Shady Nick

Posts: 16,272 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ancient Drew said :
I wouldn't remake the thread if it was down to me. It would go against the grain with quite a few people, and since it involves politics, it's bound to attract arguments.

And here I was thinking that the most interesting threads are the ones that rub some the wrong way and promote debate/discussion. Do you really want a forum where everyone agrees and arguments never happen?

22-Jun-2017 00:57:29

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top