Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sorry, my cousin actually isn't involved in this at all, I just recognized stemming from him and now that I think of it, I do remember all about stemming and reading about it (Sorry pregnancy brain is in full effect right now). And I don't comment on it and always try to make people feel included, dw. I have experience interacting with an autistic child, just not sharing my house with one (let alone experience with one and a newborn).

And that makes me feel better, thanks. I thought that, but idk, it was more the idea of a trigger being in newborn form and them being overwhelmed and doing something bad as a result as opposed to me thinking they want to just randomly hurt newborns. There was a huge episode (that did including hitting and self harm) even last night involving a shower which made me worried again, but again he kept it kind of isolated (it is always very loud) and was over it and no threat by the time he came out.

Please note that it is not my intention to judge autistic children badly, but these episodes make me very nervous and I just wanted to make an informed decision either way.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

04-Jun-2017 11:36:29 - Last edited on 04-Jun-2017 11:36:59 by Averia Light

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :

And that makes me feel better, thanks. I thought that, but idk, it was more the idea of a trigger being in newborn form and them being overwhelmed and doing something bad as a result as opposed to me thinking they want to just randomly hurt newborns. There was a huge episode (that did including hitting and self harm) even last night involving a shower which made me worried again, but again he kept it kind of isolated (it is always very loud) and was over it and no threat by the time he came out.

Please note that it is not my intention to judge autistic children badly, but these episodes make me very nervous and I just wanted to make an informed decision either way.

As I said, unless they also have Antisocial Personality Disorder (Stupidly rare (2% of occurrence upon a rough 3% occurrence), but is a thing nonetheless), it's not something I'd actively worry about.

I don't know- I'd try to figure out what's going on with the kid and talk about it with their legal guardian to try and get some level of consistency going (MAYBE intervention if it's severe enough, though I personally wouldn't consider it in the immediate). It would be bad enough for a neurotypical kid to have different standards across 2 living arrangements, but with an autistic child with which structure and therefore consistency is a MANDATE? You're (general you here) basically sabotaging the kiddo's mental health long term.

How old is the kiddo if I may ask?
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

04-Jun-2017 13:56:54

Averia Light

Averia Light

He is 9. And yeah, idk what other living arrangements he has, I just know that he is with us for 4 days out of the month (every other weekend). I know it has to be over stimulating to him and it certainly isn't fair to him... I wouldn't be so nervous about it if I didn't have my situation going on. And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

04-Jun-2017 17:19:31

Averia Light

Averia Light

And, as far as the politics, Beast, every board has a dominating party. I am a bit surprised that this one is more, well, 4chan-like, but don't let it make you go crazy. I am more in the middle politically and ironically some boards think I am far right and others think I am far left - but through time I've learned that whatever perception is developed is likely a mere consequence of the environment.

I mean, you have to think that each board will produce topics that are most important to them which is often farther off center depending on which way the board leans. So if you are more in the middle, then of course there are going to be topics that you lean more towards the other side than the rest of the people. And, you always get that nutter that follows you around.

Sorry, I just thought I would mention something as I know you have left due to others before.

04-Jun-2017 18:13:00

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Oh well Krista, I learned that with these new rules, that there are more low IQ individuals on here than what I first envisioned.

We have someone who thinks quoting a neuroscientist on philosophy means anything, another who is a geriatric bigot who thinks criticizing others to their moral standard means they can do it with impunity to other judgment, and a pseudo-intellect who thinks getting his doctorate means he's smart (Newsflash: there are people with doctorates who are dumb as rocks (See Beyonce Loving Magical Butterfly Studies majors for more information)).

Also, I've left before due to how idiotic the moderation was previously, but that's another topic for another day.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

04-Jun-2017 20:55:09

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Averia Light said :
He is 9. And yeah, idk what other living arrangements he has, I just know that he is with us for 4 days out of the month (every other weekend). I know it has to be over stimulating to him and it certainly isn't fair to him... I wouldn't be so nervous about it if I didn't have my situation going on.

As I said, I'd talk it out with his legal guardian as it's obvious something is going on at this point.

04-Jun-2017 20:56:41

Averia Light

Averia Light

Team Skull said :
Oh well Krista, I learned that with these new rules, that there are more low IQ individuals on here than what I first envisioned.

We have someone who thinks quoting a neuroscientist on philosophy means anything, another who is a geriatric bigot who thinks criticizing others to their moral standard means they can do it with impunity to other judgment, and a pseudo-intellect who thinks getting his doctorate means he's smart (Newsflash: there are people with doctorates who are dumb as rocks (See Beyonce Loving Magical Butterfly Studies majors for more information)).

Also, I've left before due to how idiotic the moderation was previously, but that's another topic for another day.

I think the posters here are smart, don't get me wrong, but, yeah I've seen the same personalities before in a few boards. It might even do you good to not shut down and hear what they are saying. Different perspectives aren't bad, but when a board is dominated by a certain group, then, yeah, you will disagree more often than others.

Edit : Anddd, I think I am not long for this forum. I am definitely dropping at least part of my mucus plug (doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it is an indicator of moving in the right direction). Anyway, I hope when people notice others getting steamrolled, they stand up for them. Different personalities are not bad to have. Otherwise you will really just have the dominant personalities bickering at each other in such a way that no one wants to actually read or participate in such discussions. But, that is for the new generation of forumers to sort out.

04-Jun-2017 21:52:52 - Last edited on 04-Jun-2017 22:14:34 by Averia Light

Averia Light

Averia Light

Team Skull said :
Averia Light said :
He is 9. And yeah, idk what other living arrangements he has, I just know that he is with us for 4 days out of the month (every other weekend). I know it has to be over stimulating to him and it certainly isn't fair to him... I wouldn't be so nervous about it if I didn't have my situation going on.

As I said, I'd talk it out with his legal guardian as it's obvious something is going on at this point.

He is actually having another episode outside right now. I don't know how to approach the topic, because I wouldn't want someone to say something about my parenting ability...and it is family. Idk. I know we need to talk to them, but now it is a matter of figuring out how.

I do appreciate the help though, thanks.

04-Jun-2017 22:07:55 - Last edited on 04-Jun-2017 22:09:48 by Averia Light

Jeremy Cheng
Aug Member 2013

Jeremy Cheng

Posts: 25,639 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
Team Skull said :
Averia Light said :

He is actually having another episode outside right now. I don't know how to approach the topic, because I wouldn't want someone to say something about my parenting ability...and it is family. Idk. I know we need to talk to them, but now it is a matter of figuring out how.

I do appreciate the help though, thanks.

Who's having an episode? your son? didn't read this thread before so I'm unaware.

05-Jun-2017 02:11:37

Averia Light

Averia Light

Nah, not my son. My..umm...maybe future nephew? I'm not sure what to call him.

The long version is: my husband's brother's girlfriend's kid, lol. Without going into too much detail as to how this situation came about, they live with us and we see this child every other weekend.

05-Jun-2017 04:00:04

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top