Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Sharp-shin

Sharp-shin

Posts: 41,305 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Today both of the magpie pairs returned, so I guess they just had something to do elsewhere yesterday which kept them occupied the whole day. :P

It's kinda funny how the pair that nests outside my window chose to build the nest there, because it's a pretty busy location for birds, so while they have been building the nest there, lots of birds from sparrows to blackbirds have come to watch the process, yet it doesn't seem to bother the magpies. It just seems like a pretty vulnerable spot to me because of all the traffic, even the male sparrowhawk always flies through there.

The only other magpie nest I've seen was built high up on a pine tree, which was fairly secluded from other birds... it was once harassed by a squirrel, but other than that, it looked safer to me than this hedgerow nest.
"Volat Accipiter libera est; venandi sua natura est."
~Accipiter striatus

07-Apr-2020 09:09:17 - Last edited on 07-Apr-2020 09:09:48 by Sharp-shin

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Found this news post:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/300137483/rare-white-t-captured-by-wellington-photographer

I never even knew this colour Tui was a thing and to think it's just up the road from me.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

23-Oct-2020 21:16:36

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,893 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I saw a Buzzard earlier the week flying above the park near my house. It then went to sit in a tree near the common birds. It was great seeing an eagle here in the city after I moved out of the farm years ago where I used to study birds as part of my hunting education.
Normally I'd go shooting birds but we don't talk about that here ;)
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

23-Oct-2020 21:21:49

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead said :
Found this news post:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/300137483/rare-white-t-captured-by-wellington-photographer

I never even knew this colour Tui was a thing and to think it's just up the road from me.

This is a second article on the white Tui, it states they went back the next day and were shocked to find the Tui in the same place. With my experience with the Tui's around my neighborhood they seem to stay around the same area. I've seen Tui's playing around the same tree for days, weeks and I'm pretty sure they are the same bird.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/thats-unbelievable-rare-white-t-appears-during-seven-sharp-story-sighting

23-Oct-2020 21:22:41

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Corder said :
I saw a Buzzard earlier the week flying above the park near my house. It then went to sit in a tree near the common birds. It was great seeing an eagle here in the city after I moved out of the farm years ago where I used to study birds as part of my hunting education.
Normally I'd go shooting birds but we don't talk about that here ;)

When my city was in lock down we had rare birds and even a falcon was spotted within the city :)

23-Oct-2020 21:26:09

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,893 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nice !

Falcons are awesome birds. Must have been a cool sighting :P
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

23-Oct-2020 21:42:28

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top