Forums

Updated Edgevill/Varrock cave. Thread is locked

Quick find code: 15-16-99-66290385

Qwis7
Aug Member 2010

Qwis7

Posts: 1,446 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey all we all know now they updated the varrock sewers and edgevil cave.
Some parts do look great in my opinion, but there are many things that do look wierd in my opinion.
Here are some things that did notice me!

Its sad to see that they removed the mine able ores in the edgevill dungeon!

Also there are some spiders that spawn near the moss giants side of the bridge.
It would be bit better to swap those with the moss giants.

The hill giant do have a weird abyss looking side now its a little bit odd in my opinion.
Also sad to see they did not update the dungeoneering cave section of the cave.

The sewer boat in combination with the abyss cross at the moss giants have no logic sense to me.
It looks rushed and just horrible map design to me.

The sewer part looks very great in my opinion!

In general I just think the map design looks really horrible to me It makes no sense.
It looks like there are random parts made by different designers and just put there to make it look like one cave.
What are you're opinions about the new update?

14-Nov-2023 17:36:42

Holly Leone

Holly Leone

Posts: 194 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This update is a 0/10.

Since it was unleashed on Monday, free players can no longer use the trapdoor to enter Edgeville Dungeon or the manhole to enter the Varrock sewers.

We can open the trapdoor and manhole. We are told we climb down and the usual animation of us climbing down still plays. Then we remain on the surface and receive the message, "To go here you must login to a members' server."

We never had to before this wretched update.

Monday's TWIR newspost says nothing about denying F2P access to these areas. Either this is a bug that needs to be fixed ASAP, or it is a huge slap in the face to the community that should be taken into account when Jagex wants us to purchase more MTX.

14-Nov-2023 19:28:31

Qwis7
Aug Member 2010

Qwis7

You are joking I hope!
If it is true that f2p players are no longer able to get into this cave it just is the worst upgrade (downgrade) of the years.
What am I saying maybe in top 10 just after removal of free trade!

I do hope this is a bug!

14-Nov-2023 22:06:07

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,258 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As for the sewers - I like them. The art style isn't fully up to modern standards, but it certainly doesn't look as out of place as those early HD era caverns would - I mean for the most parts. Especially the sewers look like an actual place now, rather than just yet another hose pipe dungeons from RSC and early RS2.

What I always heavily disliked about the edgeville dungeon was that section from the start to the east, which was only blocked off by a tiny bit of rubble, over which you just couldn't step if you wanted - or at least climb via a shortcut. Hose pipe dungeon all over again, right? It certainly looks much better, but it just doesn't benefit as much from an improved topology as it could.

The Pollivneach dungeon is probably the least interesting of the three - it doesn't feel too different, it just looks nicer - albeit very stark contrast to the adjacent smoke dungeon again now. Perfect proof why those updates are so important - the dungeon itself is from early HD, the fire elementals are retextured pre HD monsters - but pyrefiends are modern. And fire giants and smoke devils something in between.

Really a downer is that lack of examines all over again. The fort and the city of Um were so incredible for that matter and now in here you also got lots of rather curious things - and you can't examine them! Except for that boat in the edgeville section.
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

15-Nov-2023 07:24:50 - Last edited on 15-Nov-2023 08:16:33 by Rikornak

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,258 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As for the logic of those places - Could be interesting to know what the designer back then in 2012 (whyever it never was released back then...) thought about adding that chasm at the moss giants. That both dungeons are now connected with a main sewer (with implied distance to one another) doesn't look too off to me though. I mean OS has a full forest down there for their moss giant boss.

Speaking of bosses, I think it would be a wasted (no pun intended) chance not to use one of the pathways for some kind of new content. It's already implied the sewers are bigger than shown ingame, so why not give players some actual reason to return there?

I mean overall - I highly appreciate Mod Blkwitchs work as an environment artist. Her game jam work for kandarin will also be great. Galarpos Mountains will now look like actual mountains - not some hills conceived back then in RSC. The sneakpeak for Relleka - also great. I just do think they also should try and get buildings and other assets updated. You just see on Karamja or Entrana how out of place those old like dirt things can be - to a lesser extent also in other reworked areas, but it felt especially extreme in those two places. Honestly - maybe she even could dig out the seers village rework from 2015 or so, which they just scrapped, because it took too long and 'wouldn't fit for the game anymore'. As if status quo would be.
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

15-Nov-2023 07:54:30 - Last edited on 15-Nov-2023 08:13:04 by Rikornak

Qwis7
Aug Member 2010

Qwis7

Many parts look great, but the places they are put into and how they are connected are really horrible.

There are just no connection at all it really feel as stand alone parts not just one cave.

15-Nov-2023 19:33:38

Quick find code: 15-16-99-66290385 Back to Top