Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

n iiiiiii ck

n iiiiiii ck

Posts: 28,483 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Singularity said :
Probably not an easy task seeing how the forum software is apparently outdated. Maybe it doesn't support mobile devices and if that's the case, that's going to pose a problem. They should focus on improving their forum software so it can do more. It's probably like Java (holding them back). It needs some sort of "NXT" to make it stand out.

Everytime I'm on my smartphone, I have to default to Reddit because it's just horrifying trying to browse these forums on a phone. Maybe that's where these forums really lose. You can't comfortably use them unless on a computer and a lot of people use smartphones these days. Social media can be used on the go, so you can keep up-to-date with the game when at work or school - very useful.

yes, i think just about everything related to the forums is out of date lol.

27-Sep-2017 15:38:33

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,500 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, work-ish is not enough now considering how there's better options available if you need to find out what's happening in-game or what the community is talking about. If RSOF ever has a hope of gaining popularity - it needs to work completely. People value convenience so much these days, it'll probably go a long way to be able to browse and engage with the forums properly on a mobile/tablet.

I suppose the developers that work on the forums don't feel it's worth developing an app because of how unpopulated it is which is a shame. I hope one day they find the time for it.

27-Sep-2017 15:41:01

n iiiiiii ck

n iiiiiii ck

Posts: 28,483 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Singularity said :
Well the website, which cover the forums. Don't hear much from them though so it's like they don't exist half the time.

yes, last I heard of updates was when they got all worried that Reddit was mad about how garbage this place was (for moderation).

Then they started saying "it'll take time" and haven't heard a word since then.

27-Sep-2017 15:50:08

Chow Chow
May Member 2006

Chow Chow

Posts: 9,418 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You're correct that "work-ish" isn't enough, but the main issue is finding a way to attract players to the forums to encourage its use, which encourages the web team to work on the forums. (This is how most in-game updates work, after all)

As it stands as far as from what I can see, only a small chunk of the RS player base actively use the forums. I'm sure that we don't need 70%+ of the player base to encourage this change, but the numbers do need to improved than what it currently is.

And the question, which is reasonably hard to answer, is: How?

There's a nice little thread in the W&F section that discusses this issue, but I can't say that it's an easy problem to solve.
Dedicated to Account Help
|| Forum Help
''If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; It is opinion.'' - Lazarus Long

27-Sep-2017 15:54:20 - Last edited on 27-Sep-2017 15:55:10 by Chow Chow

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,500 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I suppose we need the right J-mods that don't give up hope because of how dead it is. We need some that use the forums and actually respond to player queries regularly. Players generally follow where the J-mods are because they hold the answers we need to hear for the bigger questions.

We've had a few J-mods in the past act like they're trying but they quickly give up and disappear. They lack hope and likely feel it cannot be rejuvenated, so don't bother and go back to where everyone is again.

Right now, if anyone posted something on this forum section that only a J-mod could answer, you'd have to divert them to Twitter or Reddit because their query is likely going to be answered much quicker. You shouldn't need to do that as they should already be here, ready to answer any queries a player has. The players don't see that and instead see how inferior the forum is and don't come back.

We are not going to lure people here without fixing its functionality, J-mod presence, convenience and features. I know it takes work and it's not worth it because there's no guarantee anything will change but someone needs to at least try and put in the effort. Who knows, it might be just what it needs. The forums have a lack of caring vibe to them, you can see it just by looking at them. It's no surprise they are "dead".

EDIT: I sometimes forget I use an extension. Without Linkify, the forums would be unbearable. That alone says something.

27-Sep-2017 16:04:26 - Last edited on 27-Sep-2017 16:08:16 by Singularity

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top