Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Small generator for emergency lighting and a number of powerful lantern-type torches.
Wood burner to keep warm and a big'ish camping gas stove stored in the shed.
Failing that, get in the car and drive to a friend/relative that isn't blacked out, lol.

The energy companies are generally pretty good here and power-outs in the UK tend to be less than 24 hours, for most areas except the remotest.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

05-Apr-2018 11:42:56

Posts: 5,208 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
0815 said :
Since everyone is talking of storms:

How does a power outage affect you?
How are you prepared? (e.g. diesel generator, candles or other alternatives)
FiFi LaFeles said :
Small generator for emergency lighting and a number of powerful lantern-type torches.
Wood burner to keep warm and a big'ish camping gas stove stored in the shed.
Failing that, get in the car and drive to a friend/relative that isn't blacked out, lol.

The energy companies are generally pretty good here and power-outs in the UK tend to be less than 24 hours, for most areas except the remotest.

Thank you for your feedback. Very few are that well prepared, impressive.

Would you be able to cope, with the methods you mentioned, for a period of 72 hours and longer? What is the max. time that your provisions (food, water, fuel for generator) could last?
Given is a national system failure.

How do you cope with black water?
`·¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸`·¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸ˆ`·,¸
2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™
¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸·´¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸,·´ˆ¸·´

05-Apr-2018 13:42:14

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,500 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-sees Stuck in Pinball Machine -
calls on the wizards
-looks again-
I didn't know there was a pinball minigame
the things I learn

the sun is out and meting away the snow
wheeeeeeeeee
@Twillow_RS

For W71 Penguin locations starting January 24, 2024: www.reddit.***/r/W71PenguinWhisperers or @pengwhisper

05-Apr-2018 13:45:05

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We have a rotating stash of bottled water, probably enough to drink and cook for 3/4 days. Not enough to bathe with though! I've never seen black water.

Food I always have tons of (for reasons I won't go into), tinned, packet, jars. At least a week's worth, probably more if I had to eke it out.

Heating, about 6 months of logs and coal. If the gas failed at the same time as the electricity (unlikely but possible) I know how to cook on an open fire once the portable camping cannisters run out.

Generator fuel, not sure, not my domestic department.

Blimey! I thought we were talking about a temporary electricity power-out, not a nuclear winter.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

05-Apr-2018 22:43:12

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 45,000 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
0815 said :
How does a power outage affect you?
How are you prepared? (e.g. diesel generator, candles or other alternatives)

I've got one of these (actual picture I just took of it)

Lets off plenty of light, enough to pretty nicely light up an entire room. Of course, the fun part is slowly finding my way to the shelf that its on in the dark whenever the power seems to go out (almost always at night, of course).

Luckily, it usually doesn't go out too often and when it does, its only for an hour or two.

06-Apr-2018 00:09:17

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I got candles. One which is a the kitchen cuboard (same kind as the ones in hotels) I have a box of them somewhere and a couple of candles in my lounge, but they are pretty low with no scent left. The lighter is somewhere in the house, I have two hidden from the boys and I normally hunt one of them out at birthdays. My torch I'm not sure if the Batteries are good. I'll have to check that as to light a candles I will need the lighter.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

06-Apr-2018 02:06:54

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What's black water?

And no I couldn't survive for 72 hours. Need to buy some more larger water bottles. I've only got a few litres lying around. I have a whistle somewhere just in case im stuck inside a collapsed building, not sure where that is now.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

06-Apr-2018 02:13:33

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,500 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Applejuiceaj said :

I've got one of these (actual picture I just took of it)

Lets off plenty of light, enough to pretty nicely light up an entire room.

Best guess for this image: blender
@Twillow_RS

For W71 Penguin locations starting January 24, 2024: www.reddit.***/r/W71PenguinWhisperers or @pengwhisper

06-Apr-2018 04:11:41

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top