Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hylonome said :
Dong U Dead said :
Nosword said :
Daylight savings should just stop

No it shouldn't!

Why? Do you benefit from it?

Yes! Vitamin D! Having the longer daylight for me and I would say countless others means more outdoor time, more skin exposed as long as it's done safely as it's good for the body.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

27-Mar-2018 15:36:54

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

FiFi LaFeles said :
Dong U Dead said :
Apparently with vitamins we just pee it all out - it just goes straight through our system.??

The only things I lack I would say is calcium and fruit.

The fat-soluble vitamins — A, D, E, and K — dissolve in fat and can be stored in your body. The water-soluble vitamins — C and the B-complex vitamins (such as vitamins B6, B12, niacin, riboflavin, and folate) — need to dissolve in water before your body can absorb them.

Any excess consumption of water-soluble vitamins are excreted in urine.

Doubtful you lack calcium as I've seen you say you eat a lot of vegetables. Leafy green veg is rich in calcium, as is bread and dairy.

Fruit is not a vitamin.

No fruits not a vitamin, but it has heaps of benefits. I haven't aten dairy for a very long period of time, except for the odd latte I consume. And I'm pleased vegies have calcium in them I didn't realize.

My kids eat a lot of fruit to the horror of my youngest. I presume they get enough calcium.

27-Mar-2018 15:43:03

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Being one of the fair Celtic skin brigade who burns horribly at the merest glimpse of a sunbeam, I've had to try and clue up on sunlight and Vitamin D.

In Summer, 'experts' say that just 30 minutes exposure daily is enough for the body to produce sufficient quantities for the majority of people. Preferably done before 11am and after 3pm for obvious reasons.

In Winter, it could take as long as 3 hours or more - but I'm not going to wander around in my skivvies in January attempting to accomplish this.

The good news is Vitamin D can be gained through eating food, notably liver, eggs, red meat and oily fish. And, of course, there is always the fallback of supplements.

So, really, messing with the clocks is fairly immaterial so far as Vitamin D goes.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

27-Mar-2018 16:16:53

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

[link url=][/link]Nope I feel day light saving is fantastic, it's great for the mind, it's great for the health, its a great all rounder, the kids and I can go out to parks, beaches, walking, bush walking all after dinner. That extra hour of day light in the evening is a god send - if anything don't change it back in the winter/autumn time. Keep it daylight savings 52 weeks of the year - not the other way round!

Lot of people lack vitamin D in the winter months. And people that work in doors 8 - 9 hours a day, 5 days a week must prosper at day light saving??

27-Mar-2018 20:26:13 - Last edited on 27-Mar-2018 20:30:41 by Dong U Dead

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Not really. Say someone starts work at 9am. They get up at 7am (I used to) spend two hours indoors for shower, breakfast and then the commute. No time to sit in the sun. Finish at 5pm? Hour to get home. Always stuff to do when you've been at work all day, communicate with the spouse, take a shower, see to the kids and so on. By the time they get to go outdoors (as opposed to sitting on a bus, train, car) it's gone 7pm. They are hungry, so will probably want to prepare dinner and eat before they go out. Too late, it's sunset.

They could get the 30 mins they need in their lunchbreak, during Summer (assuming day workers, not night workers - poor sods). No need to fiddle with the clocks. Even having changed the clocks, most full time workers won't have time, energy or inclination to sit around outside before/after work to get their daily dose.

Certainly, it's nice for you and people with kids to have light-time to do family things - assuming they are not stuck working in an office, factory, etc. But for the majority it makes little difference (except at weekends/time off).

So yeah, good for recreational purposes for people with the time to enjoy it but not necessary for Vitamin D production.

Winter is different for everyone. Of course it's dull, grey, not much sun. Hence getting your D from foodstuffs/supplements. This could be done all year round anyway.
Le Chat Guerrier

27-Mar-2018 20:46:55

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

I disagree; the beach here is always packed with singles, families, couples etc and I know a lot of the families that come to the beach are hard working families. When the kids and I are of up the bush, at the school to utilize there yard or at the park we often run into other families.

The school often has indian families playing cricket or a dad playing handball, basket ball or soccer.

I'm not saying all families do this and not every night of the week - but I do believe more people/families get out and about with day light savings.

Come home from sports training is so much nicer during daylight savings.

I just love day light savings and wish it wouldn't turn back.

27-Mar-2018 21:02:27

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

I'm quite surprised that you don't enjoy day light saving having the dogs and all with walking and toileting. I could imagine going out for a walk with the dogs after tea - most probably more enjoyable than grizzly kids that want, want, want.

Also it must be good for the cyclists that bike to and from work, or those that do cycling for recreational activities. I just feel there are more out door pursuits and activities during daylight saving.

27-Mar-2018 21:09:29 - Last edited on 27-Mar-2018 21:11:30 by Dong U Dead

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

There's no denying dogs are more fun than grizzly kids, lol !

I'm lucky to be able to walk them any time, after dark they go out in the garden if they need to 'do their business'.

And yes, I agree, for some outdoor recreational stuff it gives people a little more time in the evenings.

It just seems strange to me that the tradition still exists here, given it's original purpose.
Le Chat Guerrier

27-Mar-2018 21:56:20

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top