Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,500 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
After numerous game-gone moments this morning in Legacy Java whosits, I bit the bullet and loaded up NXT. I felt the subtle hand of javadoom hovering, shoving me there. Though likely to jinx myself now, I've had no problems since then.

On a brighter note, we've a heat wave of the 40s (6 degrees ish) with rain.
Tomorrow to be in the 50s (12 ish) so all the beach short wearers will be out and about.

Update: NXT just crashed on me. lol lol lol
@Twillow_RS

For W71 Penguin locations starting January 24, 2024: www.reddit.***/r/W71PenguinWhisperers or @pengwhisper

19-Feb-2018 19:01:53 - Last edited on 19-Feb-2018 19:18:03 by Twillow

Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

Posts: 8,551 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NXT is better for some things (takes up fewer resources than Java, if you put it on minimum, turn ground blending off, and limit it to 5fps - but somehow still manages to cause overheat shutdowns after a few hours, while only using 23-25% of CPU, when programmes that use >85% of CPU can go for day, without any overheating problems), like AFK-skilling, and Questing, provided you have a stable connection.

Java is still better, for me, for Minigaming, intensive Skilling, and PvM, there's just no competition between the two, for these things, as the issues with NXT compound eachother:

• Handles disconnects and delays differently, and can show you as logged in for 10-15 minutes past when you actually dc'd, meaning you have to restart the client to get back to doing things.
• It has different timing for whether it registers clicks as on an object, or off it.
• The graphics settings make some things very obscured for some things, when on low settings, that are completely clear on low-setting Java.
• There is an even bigger delay whenever interacting with banks, and before clicks after any teleport will register - and no, this isn't just to do with the loading looking different.. this is when you have a tik counter taking accurate readings.
• It fails to show your accurate position, even without a delay.
• When you have connection problems, it has a far greater tendency to 'make things up' at the client-end (you can perform actions, that you can see having an effect, and can move about, but when you get a connection again, it rapidly rewinds them so you see them in reverse, and then plays about 1/4 of your actions forward again, but just random actions from any point during your dc', so that you end up in an entirely different place, and if PvMing, likely dead).

Some of these things can be familiarised, and coped with, but not when they are all together.. thus Java remains useful for me (despite it somehow using almost 2x as much as 18 Months ago).

19-Feb-2018 19:41:29

Yusou Bhoroi

Yusou Bhoroi

Posts: 8,551 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I hope you're managing to cope, Molly, and that you and your family will be able to comfort each other. Loss can sometimes make it hard to accept help from loved ones, especially if each are struggling in different ways.

Like the rest of the folks here, I wish you all the best, and hope you'll take some positives from any communications on the Forums.

19-Feb-2018 19:49:35

Trewavas
Jun Member 2014

Trewavas

Posts: 28,499 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I still use Java - aside from participating in the beta obviously. I'm stubborn, and generally resist change right up to the last moment. Though at times, I do welcome change - whether it's updates in the game, or maybe a building being knocked down somewhere. I guess the issue for me is I like Java, so I'm sticking with it whilst I can.

19-Feb-2018 21:22:55

Molly Weazly
Jul Member 2008

Molly Weazly

Posts: 4,686 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks Yusou, Twillow, Tuffty and Wynd. And everyone again for your support.

I have been wanting to install NXT for a long time, but with all the problems I hear about I'm glad to wait. With Legacy performing beautifully for me, I really don't want to go back to the old days when the lags and crashes were real.

I don't know if Jagex will be able to convince us all to switch unless they close Legacy. And if they do that, who knows what we'll experience. Maybe it will be so bad or amazing it will bring life back to the forums. =p

20-Feb-2018 01:08:12

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,500 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ooh ooh
-looks around-
I think you've awoken the coffee zombies, Mobius! =P
@Twillow_RS

For W71 Penguin locations starting January 24, 2024: www.reddit.***/r/W71PenguinWhisperers or @pengwhisper

20-Feb-2018 03:25:48

The contents of this message have been hidden

20-Feb-2018 03:31:42

The contents of this message have been hidden

20-Feb-2018 03:59:29

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top