Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,238 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Yes. There's rather a lot of us crammed onto a small island. We don't have the luxury of space.

The new houses over here are among the worst - teeny-weeny little scraps of rear garden overlooked on all sides usually and with a garage (hahahaha) on the side that you can't actually get a modern car into. Or, if you do, you can't open the doors.
I was looking to buy a house in Cambridge and the master bedrooms were the size of my wardrobe back in Australia, yet costed 6x more than my house back in Australia...
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

07-Nov-2019 08:12:16

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Maybe because it is a University town so demand for accommodation is high.

Wages are lower but so is the cost of living; we don't pay for healthcare for instance and private schooling fees are a lot cheaper. Swings and roundabouts.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Nov-2019 09:14:16

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

FiFi LaFeles said :
Maybe because it is a University town so demand for accommodation is high.

Wages are lower but so is the cost of living; we don't pay for healthcare for instance and private schooling fees are a lot cheaper. Swings and roundabouts.
I think it’s more because the University is here and owns pretty much the entire city.

As for the cost of living being lower - I strongly have to disagree with that. Everything , and I mean everything here is so much more expensive than in Australia. The food, transport, furniture, you name it. It’s almost double the price of everything in Australia.

I’m also getting paid less here for triple the work hours, and I get taxed here!! In Australia you don’t pay tax until you earn over 56k/year. Here like 20% of my pay check goes to taxes.

I can just 100% see why all my coworkers and literally anyone else I talk to ask me why I made the crazy decision to move to the UK... :P
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

07-Nov-2019 09:55:57

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Finance said :
Why is Cambridge so expensive? Are there a lot of tech jobs in the area?

I've heard that wages for skilled labor in the UK are significantly lower than the equivalent in the US
Cambridge is pretty much the Silicon Valley of the UK. Basically any major company brand you can think of has an office here
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

07-Nov-2019 09:57:31

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ehhhh, for some reason I thought you were an American. Ooops, sorry!

Idk about the cost of living in Oz - never been there. But yeah, we do get taxed heavily here, basic rate tax is 20% on earned income after the first £12,500 earned but it was a lot worse when I was a teenager - 35% in 1976 on a much lower level of earned income ......lolol.
It seems successive Governments have viewed the workforce as their private piggy banks :|

Working hours have always been something of an issue too. Sources would have us believe that the average UK worker toils for 1676 hours pa (France is 1472 , Germany is 1363) but, of course, many salaried workers are expected to work overtime which is not paid and therefore not recorded in any data sources .... so that's a load of bullshit.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Nov-2019 14:15:07

Smurf

Smurf

Posts: 11,686 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
Smurf said :
yo dong, when was the last time a f2p'er had acces to member worlds?
i hope they'll do a weekend like that again, cause I want my forum pic back

They have that twitch promotion going on at the moment <- two weeks membership.
I know but forum pic will disappear after 2 weeks again. yours is staying. I want that too lol
Goodbye everyone :)
Forum farewell event (click here to join)

07-Nov-2019 15:27:13

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top