Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Could you make your gate bigger or one of those slide gates?

Could you apply to the council to add a driveway, so cars would be restricted to park on that particular part by a yellow line (not sure of the road rule signage in the UK)?
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

06-Nov-2019 19:40:17

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Tuffty said :
There is a car park in front of my house so if I get a drive I'll be blocked in.

I have to ride up a kerb with my bike to turn into the gate. It's a pain.

We lived in a house for a while with that problem - it was opposite a Primary School and no one was allowed to put a driveway in because the Council thought it would be dangerous for the kids, with Residents pulling on or off their property.

Not nearly so dangerous as the lazy twats triple parked all along the road twice a day dropping their kids or picking them up. None of the (frequent) accidents and injuries there involved Residents, just parents.

Happily, we were only renting it for a short term.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Nov-2019 00:26:40

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Smurf said :
yo dong, when was the last time a f2p'er had acces to member worlds?
i hope they'll do a weekend like that again, cause I want my forum pic back

They have that twitch promotion going on at the moment <- two weeks membership.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

07-Nov-2019 01:22:50

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 45,000 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I remember seeing when I was in the UK last month that many houses don't quite have the driveways that I'm used to seeing over here in the States - the houses seemed very close to the roads (which were narrow themselves) and close to the houses on either side of them, so there just wasn't that much room for a large driveway (or in some cases, a driveway at all).

Here, though, there's much more room - you can easily fit 4 cars in the driveway at my parents house, which makes it convenient for when I go to visit them as I don't have to park my car on the street.

I guess you could sum it up that every country is different.

07-Nov-2019 02:54:52

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes. There's rather a lot of us crammed onto a small island. We don't have the luxury of space.

The new houses over here are among the worst - teeny-weeny little scraps of rear garden overlooked on all sides usually and with a garage (hahahaha) on the side that you can't actually get a modern car into. Or, if you do, you can't open the doors.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Nov-2019 03:14:13

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,238 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Applejuiceaj said :
I remember seeing when I was in the UK last month that many houses don't quite have the driveways that I'm used to seeing over here in the States - the houses seemed very close to the roads (which were narrow themselves) and close to the houses on either side of them, so there just wasn't that much room for a large driveway (or in some cases, a driveway at all).

Here, though, there's much more room - you can easily fit 4 cars in the driveway at my parents house, which makes it convenient for when I go to visit them as I don't have to park my car on the street.

I guess you could sum it up that every country is different.
It's very different in the UK compared to Australia as well.... in Australia where I was an engineer and lent some of my skills to housing estate design, the government requires by law all houses to be minimum 12m away from any road edge, and must have a garage and driveway.

However moving to the UK and working the past year designing a lot of the road infrastructure, housing and such around Cambridge, Norwich and London, it's quite different... especially with some houses being less than 1m from the road edge, or even some houses forming the road edge!!! I cycle past a couple of houses on the way to work which actually sit partly in the road as well (maybe 5cm or so into the road), but enough to make a car have to move onto the other side of the street slightly..... it's crazy...
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

07-Nov-2019 08:10:32

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top