Forums

~Ultimate Efficiency Guide~

Quick find code: 98-99-450-60978145

Sports441995

Sports441995

Posts: 7,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the post :) .

The fact is, not every skill can establish this sort of moneymaker.

Attack- See slayer
Strength- See slayer
Defense - See slayer
Constitution- N/a
Prayer- No real moneymaker
Summoning- Foragers could perhaps make you 100k an hour
Range- See slayer/ Avians could be 400k an hour
Mage- Orb Running- 400k an hour

Smithing- Cannonballs? 100k an hour
Mining- Runite Ore- 600k an hour
Fishing- Perhaps 300k an hour max
Cooking- Rocktails? 200k an hour?
Firemaking- No real moneymaker
Woodcutting- Magics? 400k an hour?
Farming- Up to possibly 700k an hour... over a 5 days period or so
Construction- No real moneymaker
Dungeoneering- No real moneymaker
Agility- No real moneymaker
Herblore- No real moneymaker
Thieving- Pickpocketting- 200k an hour?
Crafting- Not practical as a moneymaker
Fletching- 200k an hour?
Hunter- 1m an hour (Implings) at higher levels
Slayer- Potentially 750k an hour at higher levels.
Runecrafting- 1m an hour

NOW...

It can be clear to see that out of the skills, using all but 3 of them (Runecrafting, Slayer, Hunter) is simply a short-term fix- A cover-up to the problem of establishing a moneymaker. you'll have to get 99 hunter, 99 Runecrafting, and 99 slayer anyways... so why not simply establish them early on?

Impling hunting is about the same profit as Runecrafting... but you're earning hunter experience at about 1/25 its regular speed.

Slayer could be a moneymaker, but it is laregly inconsistant and, over large periods of time, does not really average 1m/hour profit.

Runecrafting Double Natures is giving you Runecrafting Experience at over half of full speed, and tons of money to go with it.

In short... there are other methods of Money-Making, but due to the fact that you'll eventually have 91 Runecrafting, you're still forced to value time at 1m an hour. Why not simply go out an earn the ability to actually make it?

16-May-2010 16:15:38

chimneyimp

chimneyimp

Posts: 2,064 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I will say that this includes some really good advice for powerleveling. however, I would disagree with the first point of your thread that the goal of rs is to max out skills and questpoints. you mention that you shouldn't do boring things because they slow down your efficiency, however I consider fun to be an end in itself, and the point of the game. still, you do need good skills to have more fun (for instance I am trying to max out ranged for pvp) and I would definitely recommend this guide to anyone trying to get their skills up efficiently

btw cleaning avantoes is money for herblore, and grenwalls are better money for hunter.

16-May-2010 18:50:04 - Last edited on 16-May-2010 18:52:05 by chimneyimp

Sports441995

Sports441995

Thanks for the post :) .

Yes, I would agree that there are different goals that are possible in Runescape, but the "ultimate" goal is to achieve all total levels and quest points. I suppose one could make the same arguement about real life: Is the goal to make something of yourself, or simply to enjoy the life you lived? Fun Vs. True Achievement is a debate which will never end =p.

17-May-2010 05:03:24 - Last edited on 17-May-2010 05:04:01 by Sports441995

Odavast
Sep Member 2022

Odavast

Posts: 62 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is a very important topic for players to understand, and this post sums it up very well.

I've noticed that many players don't understand basic concepts like efficiency or opportunity cost and tell me all the time that things are 'free' because they 'collected the items themselves' completely ignoring the opportunity cost of collecting these supposedly 'free' items. (time spent that could have been spent elsewhere)

These are not hard concepts to understand. They are useful to know and even apply in the real world as well as in Runescape.

No one does the most efficient action 100% of the time, but it is good to have a baseline of sorts. The example of 91 runecrafting double natures is a good one, but if you don't see yourself getting that any time soon, or don't enjoy that then pick something you do enjoy or an option that is currently open to you.

Many players may enjoy combat so I'll pick something to do with that: 'I know that I can kill Green Dragons and make 800k cash + X amount of combat exp in an hour.' So now when you do other activities you can compare them to this baseline and determine if the enjoyment you get out of the choice to partake of a different activity makes up for the difference in efficiency between it and your chosen baseline.

I find this especially useful when planning on spending longer periods of time playing.

17-May-2010 08:50:56

Overloaded90

Overloaded90

Posts: 149 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
First of all, I would like to comment that this is a awesome thread in which all wanna-be high level runescaper should check.

But I have alot of question in mind. I know that the highest profit in game right now is double nat running. avg 900k-1mil/hr. Not to mention that slayer is inconsistent. Ok, so my questions are, if i value my time at 1mil/hr. What are the skills I should train (using expensive way), and what i should skip( because time over valuation of 1mil/hr is not worth it)

I know that this can be very broad and spread over at least 10++ skills.

For example:
Range: chinning at the required level that i can, 70? Should i chin at level 70 if i value myself over 1mil per hour.
Prayer: I am sure everyone knows glided altar d bone is the best exp overall.
Crafting: Should i do air battlestaff or dhide. Because empty battlestaff are hard to come by at GE cause of limitation.
Magic: which spell should i cast, or should i do high alch.
Construction: Should i do Stealing creation for it?
Agility: Should i do barbarian assault for the horn
Smithing: should i do Stealing creation for it?
Fishing: bait fish or barbarian way?
Firemaking: I think maple should be the best? Would yew match up to maple if i value myself at 1mil/hr?

I know all these questions that i have above might kind of have drag too far away from your thread. But they are what players are looking at. What you called efficiency. You are not obliged to answer all. But I would be sure that alot of fellow members here have the same questions as above.

If i value myself at 1mil/hr. What should i do, and what should i not do.

Overall, nice thread =)

17-May-2010 15:49:50

Sports441995

Sports441995

Thanks guys :) .

It's hard to say exactly what the best methods are for each individual skill. I could find the answer to all the questions you posted, using the principles explained throughout my guide, but I'd have to research exact time it takes to light fires, tan d'hides, etc. and then calculate human error. I'd also have to calculate the estimated changes in grand exchange price over time. You're right, those topics tend to stray from the guide a bit =p.

I believe construction hammers are actually more efficient than not using SC hammers with a time value of 1m an hour, to answer one of your questions. I'm unfamiliar with many skills you listed however, lol ;) .

Just FYI: 1m is near the maximum possible value of SKILLING time, but some players value time even higher. I've heard of some extremely experienced tormented demon hunters who value time at around 4m an hour!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'll have to work on some actually skill guides sometime :) .

17-May-2010 19:57:32

Moonlit Sky
Dec Member 2019

Moonlit Sky

Posts: 2,666 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There's honestly an easier way, Sports. Zarfot found the following equation.

A+B/C

A is your value of time per hour, B is the money lost per hour from the method, and C is the experience per hour of the method. Lower numbers are better.

17-May-2010 20:47:29 - Last edited on 17-May-2010 20:47:44 by Moonlit Sky

Piece Maker
Sep Member 2010

Piece Maker

Posts: 2,081 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just wanted to say your thread's great :D :D

There are far too many of these strange misconceptions. People saying 'yeah its worth it because it's cheaper' without any actual math to follow that up. Yet the same people would choose Ivys over Magic trees for Woodcutting without even beginning to question it.

I mean, would you train combat with a Rune Scimitar? Why not? It's a lot cheaper than a whip.

After some calculations I've been working on, I've discovered that even Chaotic Rapiers are actually 'worth it' to use for training, if your value of time is over 800k an hour. Yet when I tell my friends this, they will simply laugh at me and say 'but they cost 2m to repair, just use a whip its cheaper'... Strange eh! Obviously the time taken to get 80 Dungeoneering could be taken into consideration. But if your 'ultimate goal' idea is true, you'll get 80 Dungeoneering eventually, so you might as well get it earlier and use it for Slayer training!

Which brings me onto another point. Let's say you start a new account, a level 3. You have all the knowledge of the game you've learned from the account you play on right now. Do you go ahead and aim to max out combat, or do you get 99 RuneCrafting first, so you are pretty much 'set for life'? Would you get your prayer to 99 before any other combat stat, so you can get as much use out of the boosting prayers as possible? What about quests? Completing Recipe for Disaster (Amongst others) Gives you such a huge addition to your combat power, would you do it as early as possible to get as much out of the reward as possible?

17-May-2010 21:50:55

Quick find code: 98-99-450-60978145 Back to Top